DELL Folder Opens On Reboot

Old November 15th 07, 06:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Erehwon[_2_]

Default DELL Folder Opens On Reboot

Just updated the "Dell Support Center" on XP machine and now the "C:\Program
Folders\Dell" folder opens every time machine boots. Folder appears to be
from original installation in 2004. Any ideas on what's causing this folder
to open? Nothing in startup folder. Tried checking msconfig and msinfo32
but didn't see anything obvious.

Old November 15th 07, 10:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
carlkeehn

"Erehwon" wrote in message
Just updated the "Dell Support Center" on XP machine and now the
"C:\Program Folders\Dell" folder opens every time machine boots. Folder
appears to be from original installation in 2004. Any ideas on what's
causing this folder to open? Nothing in startup folder. Tried checking
msconfig and msinfo32 but didn't see anything obvious.

I had noticed the same thing, certainly it is an annoyance but not enough of
one yet that I want to contact Dell. If anyone knows how to prevent it from
opening I would appreciate the info.

TIA
Carl

Old November 15th 07, 03:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"carlkeehn" wrote in message

"Erehwon" wrote in message
Just updated the "Dell Support Center" on XP machine and now the
"C:\Program Folders\Dell" folder opens every time machine boots. Folder
appears to be from original installation in 2004. Any ideas on what's
causing this folder to open? Nothing in startup folder. Tried checking
msconfig and msinfo32 but didn't see anything obvious.

I had noticed the same thing, certainly it is an annoyance but not enough
of one yet that I want to contact Dell. If anyone knows how to prevent it
from opening I would appreciate the info.

TIA
Carl

Have a read he
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dellfolder.htm

Stew

Old November 15th 07, 04:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

you can use a program like hijackthis.exe to remove all dell entries
from the startup... none of them are needed.
you're problem is there. its running a incomplete dell program command,
with just the path, so it thinks you want to open an explorer window.
just remove that line.
i remove all dell entries.

Old November 16th 07, 04:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Erehwon[_2_]

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"carlkeehn" wrote in message

"Erehwon" wrote in message
Just updated the "Dell Support Center" on XP machine and now the
"C:\Program Folders\Dell" folder opens every time machine boots. Folder
appears to be from original installation in 2004. Any ideas on what's
causing this folder to open? Nothing in startup folder. Tried checking
msconfig and msinfo32 but didn't see anything obvious.

I had noticed the same thing, certainly it is an annoyance but not enough
of one yet that I want to contact Dell. If anyone knows how to prevent
it from opening I would appreciate the info.

TIA
Carl

Have a read he
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dellfolder.htm

Stew

Thanks. I checked the registry and didn't find either of the references
noted in the above link. I did find a startup item DSCACTIVATE with data of
C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe, however,
under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run.
Should that data be enclosed in double quotes? Half the data fields have
them and half don't. Not sure what the rules are.

Old November 16th 07, 04:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Erehwon[_2_]

Thanks. I may just try uninstalling Dell Support Center, if I can't find a
better solution, since the problem started when that was installed. Not
sure I want to try my luck with any significant editing of the registry.

Old November 17th 07, 12:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Erehwon" wrote in message
Thanks. I may just try uninstalling Dell Support Center, if I can't find
a better solution, since the problem started when that was installed. Not
sure I want to try my luck with any significant editing of the registry.

That's actually your easiest and best option. There may be some users who
appreciate that particular software, but I've always found it to be
invasive, bloated, and a consumer of resources needed for other things.

Old November 20th 07, 04:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Michael H. Marcus

I had this problem upon installing the new "Dell Support Center" -- Dell
has a newer version of Support Center that fixes this problem:

'Dell - Support' (http://tinyurl.com/33xce5)

[copy and paste with no line returns]

Worked for me.