Upgrade question

Old January 21st 08, 12:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
RubenD

Default Upgrade question

I have a 6150SE integrated in the motherboard video card, and saw a forsa
512mb geforce 6600 ddr2 very cheap.

Will I see a great difference from running the forsa over the MB one?

I notice the nvidia brand with 256mb cost more. Is forsa an inferior card?

I'm new with the PCIe thing, I was left on AGP many years ago. does PCIe
need more power to run?

I just don't want to throw money away if I'm getting about the same
performance, I just saw the INDEX rating on VISTA to be all over 5.0 but
the graphics was 3.0, which got me thinking I could get 5.0 if I spend the
$60-$70.

I'll be running photo shop type of software mostly.

Any advice will be appreciated it.

TIA

p.s.: gateway 6000+ (dual 3000+ amds), 3gb ddr2.

Old January 21st 08, 01:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Conor[_2_]

In article , RubenD says...
I have a 6150SE integrated in the motherboard video card, and saw a forsa
512mb geforce 6600 ddr2 very cheap.

Will I see a great difference from running the forsa over the MB one?

I notice the nvidia brand with 256mb cost more. Is forsa an inferior card?

I'm new with the PCIe thing, I was left on AGP many years ago. does PCIe
need more power to run?

I just don't want to throw money away if I'm getting about the same
performance, I just saw the INDEX rating on VISTA to be all over 5.0 but
the graphics was 3.0, which got me thinking I could get 5.0 if I spend the
$60-$70.

I'll be running photo shop type of software mostly.

TBH, unless you're doing 3D gaming, you're not likely to notice any
difference other than that which will be gained from freeing up the
system RAM the onboard is using.

--
Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.
Old January 21st 08, 02:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

"RubenD" wrote in message
I have a 6150SE integrated in the motherboard video card, and saw a forsa
512mb geforce 6600 ddr2 very cheap.

Will I see a great difference from running the forsa over the MB one?

Yes, but only in games, where 6600 is several times faster. In 2D
applications (like Photoshop), there would be no speed difference whatsoever
between your 6150SE and 6600, or between 256MB and 512MB of video RAM.

I notice the nvidia brand with 256mb cost more. Is forsa an inferior card?

There are no nVidia-branded cards for consumer purchase. If you see no other
brandname on the box, then it's a no-name generic card (appears often on
eBay).

I'm new with the PCIe thing, I was left on AGP many years ago. does PCIe
need more power to run?

Between AGP and PCIe versions of the same card, power draw is practically
identical.

I just don't want to throw money away if I'm getting about the same
performance, I just saw the INDEX rating on VISTA to be all over 5.0 but
the graphics was 3.0, which got me thinking I could get 5.0 if I spend
the
$60-$70.

And what would a graphics index of 5.0 represent? If you don't know the
answer, don't upgrade.

I'll be running photo shop type of software mostly.

How would you like this type of software to be faster? Faster load times?
Upgrade hard drive. Faster processing of effects filters? Upgrade CPU
(though benefits may not be noticeable unless you use a stopwatch).