O/C speeds for Northwood 3.0 and 3.2

Old February 7th 04, 07:18 AM
Roland Wooster

Default O/C speeds for Northwood 3.0 and 3.2

I'm planning on building a system with overclocking in mind, I'm
looking at the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB (2*512) Mushkin DDR 500
(PC4000) memory. I also want the system to be quiet so I'm planning to
go with the Zalman CNPS7000-CU CPU cooler.

Presuming I push the overclocking on a Northwood 3.0 or 3.2 only as
far as to ensure I still maintain 100% stability, how much better off
will I be starting with a 3.2. Will they both go to the same FSB in
overlocking, or will the 3.0 achieve a faster FSB overclock due to the
lower multiplier and thus actually even out the benefit the 3.2 starts
with?

Thanks,
Roland
Old February 7th 04, 01:36 PM
Skid

"Roland Wooster" wrote in message
om...
I'm planning on building a system with overclocking in mind, I'm
looking at the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB (2*512) Mushkin DDR 500
(PC4000) memory. I also want the system to be quiet so I'm planning to
go with the Zalman CNPS7000-CU CPU cooler.

Let me start by saying that DDR500 and a P4C 3.2 are a bad combination. That
ram is rated at 250 fsb. With a multiplier of 16. you'd have to overclock
your cpu to 4 ghz, which is highly unlikely. At lower speeds the high
latency of PC4000 will give you less bandwidth than cheaper options.

There are several ways to go.

1.) A P4C 2.6 with PC4000 will run at 250x13=3.25ghz or a little higher.
With CAS 2 PC3500 running at 5:4 cpu:ram ratio you might get 3.4ghz or
better if the cpu can take it.

3.) A 3.2 with CAS 2 PC3500 should get you somewhere around 3.4 ghz. This is
probably the safest choice -- though it will also be the most expensive.

My rig:

P4C 2.4 @ 275x12=3.3ghz
Abit IC7
4x256-meg Buffalo Tech PC3700 @ 5:4, 220 mhz, 2,3,2,6.

Old February 7th 04, 06:51 PM
Ed Forsythe

Hi Skid,
I'm planning to buy a P4 2.8C, ABIT IC7-Max3, Zalman 7000A-Cu. Would the
Mushkin PC4000 make sense for me? I'd like to go to 3.4GHz ( 245FSB). BTW,
case cooling should be great with a Lian-Li PC75 full tower. 2 - intake
fans lower front and 2 - exhaust fans upper rear with room for 2 more.
--
Tally Ho!
Ed

Old February 7th 04, 08:13 PM
Skid

Let's see, where did I put that Magic 8-Ball. (Shake, shake, flip.)

"The future is uncertain."

Hmm. (Shake, shake, flip.)

"All signs positive."

The Magic 8-ball says go for it, but nothing is guaranteed.

Old February 8th 04, 10:21 PM
fish

I have a 2.6c running at 255 X 13 for 3.3GHz since October 2003.

I'm using XMS 3500 that I bought well over a year ago. Memory is running at
205Mhz 6-2-2-2 with bandwidth (al la Sandra 2004) at more then 5800Mb/sec.

I use it constantly and it has hardly ever crashed. It replaced a couple of
NF2's at 2400+ Mhz I tried. The P4C is light years faster in day to day
apps. I have an NF2/AthlonXP at work with XMS memory, FSB at 180Mhz
(2250Mhz) and I wish I can replace it with a P4C. I have gotten very spoiled
multitasking on my home PC, on the Athlon its just not the same. Its much
slower in the real world.

Old February 10th 04, 09:08 PM
Craig

I have a P4 3.0 @ 3.6 on an IC&-G with Corsair PC4000. Seems like from what
I've read the 2.8, 3.0 & 3.2 can all be oc'd 400-600mhz.