Athlon XP compatibility

Old October 7th 03, 03:56 PM
DCstewieG

Default Athlon XP compatibility

I have an Iwill KA266 with a T-bird 1.4 GHz. I want to upgrade to the Athlon
64 but not until they're reasonably priced...so I'd like to do a mini
upgrade of the CPU only since the XPs are really cheap right now. Except
that motherboard apparently doesn't support XPs. Is that an 'official'
stance or what? I mean will it work, they just won't support it? What
happens if I put a 2600+ 266 FSB in there? Thanks for any help.

Old October 7th 03, 07:17 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:56:42 +0000, DCstewieG wrote:

I have an Iwill KA266 with a T-bird 1.4 GHz. I want to upgrade to the Athlon
64 but not until they're reasonably priced...so I'd like to do a mini
upgrade of the CPU only since the XPs are really cheap right now. Except
that motherboard apparently doesn't support XPs. Is that an 'official'
stance or what? I mean will it work, they just won't support it? What
happens if I put a 2600+ 266 FSB in there? Thanks for any help.

I don't know much about the Ali chipset or the Iwill boards, but it should
work ok. OTOH, it might require some intervention to do so since I'm
pretty sure the board won't support all 5 multiplier bits of the XP's if
it has multiplier control in the bios or jumpers to set the multiplier
manually. However, my advice would be to get either a 2400+ or a 2500+ and
then clock it accordingly. See link below for more info.

Old October 7th 03, 09:23 PM
DCstewieG

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
[...]

The board doesn't have any multiplier control....BIOS or jumpers. I wasn't
into that when I bought it. Hmm...the 2400+ is sounding really good.

Old October 14th 03, 09:09 PM
BoroLad

In article SgFgb.697205$YN5.568612@sccrnsc01,
says...
"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
[...]

""

The awesome thing about the KA266-R is it one of the few motherboards
that fully supports overclocking. Yes, it comes with multiplier jumpers
and the bios has full control over CPU voltage and bus speeds! The CPU
voltage and bus speeds adjustments can be found in the bios setup under
"Iwill Smart Setting" menu. As always, we recommend that you read the
Iwill User's Manual from cover to cover before you begin installing or
setting up your new motherboard. When you start playing with the
settings in the bios, step through ever setting by follow along in the
manual. Iwill has done a great job on the manual leaving nothing to
chance so you should not have any problems with installation or setup

""

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/revie...s/iwill/ka266-
r/index.htm

The KK & KA BIOS are the same thing

Hope this helps your understanding, BoroLad
Old October 16th 03, 07:41 AM
DCstewieG

"BoroLad" wrote in message
d.com...
In article SgFgb.697205$YN5.568612@sccrnsc01,
says...
"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
[...]

Well I'll be damned. I SWEAR it didn't have multiplier support! In the
manual it says 'ratio adjust,' I just wasn't thinking I guess. So basically,
is anyone SURE that an XP will at least *work* if I drop it in there? I'm so
close to getting a 2400+.... As long as it does, I'm sure I can get it set
up to run correctly (and possibly even overclocked hehe)

Thanks to all!

Old October 16th 03, 05:25 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 06:41:16 +0000, DCstewieG wrote:

Well I'll be damned. I SWEAR it didn't have multiplier support! In the
manual it says 'ratio adjust,' I just wasn't thinking I guess. So basically,
is anyone SURE that an XP will at least *work* if I drop it in there? I'm so
close to getting a 2400+.... As long as it does, I'm sure I can get it set
up to run correctly (and possibly even overclocked hehe)

I'm sure. But you have to know how the multipliers work since it only
supports 4 of the now 5 multiplier bits. See Multipler Cross Ref. in link
below. The only problem you might run into is the FSB setting. A minor
problem you can work around.

Pentium 4 vs. Athlon XP vs. Athlon 64's MarkW General 2 October 10th 06 12:11 PM
Athlon 64 system: PC3200 @2-2-2 or PC3500 @2-3-3? Marc Brown General 1 September 24th 04 02:02 AM
Athlon 64 vs Pentium 4 JK General 39 August 12th 04 03:35 PM
AMD Athlon 64FX first impressions Chris General 14 September 29th 03 02:22 PM
AMD ATHLON XP 2.200+ FSB 266 - RAM COMPATIBILITY SPEED ? rodrigo Overclocking AMD Processors 6 July 24th 03 12:51 PM