PC only boots after on/off/on cycle ?

Old November 26th 12, 02:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default PC only boots after on/off/on cycle ?

Today was another weird day electronics wise.

I had to pull out all cables.

The monitor did not want to turn off.

The old PC also didn't boot.

It does this each time but this time it was worse.

Anyway what I need to do to make it work is:

1. I turn it on, but nothing happens.
2. I turn it off.
3. I turn it on again and the PC goes into the BIOS stating that CPUs
setting was wrong.

I tried setting volts for cpu to 2.00, 2.05, 2.10 but that didnt help.

Really strange how it doesn't want to boot up the first time.

Any ideas what could be causing this ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 26th 12, 02:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Wow weirdest thing ever.

I was using windows live messenger and suddenly it seemed like the harddisk
turned off ?!

I had to reboot to computer... I was like: "wtf" "bizar".

Only time I saw a computer do that was when a cable was loose.

So far no loose cables, so totally weird.

Possible explanations:

1. Maybe one of the cables which isn't being used, caused a spark or so,
that would be scary if that was the case.
2. Maybe system is just old and slowing dieing.
3. Maybe touching PC case to attach headset cables caused damage because
grounding maybe not present. So it might go to the same way as the dreampc,
ohoh.
4. Maybe bot in messenger had something to do with it, me blocked it...
seems to cause trouble every time.
5. Maybe a network shutdown packet was received by PC.
6. Maybe there was a power drop on the power net, didn't notice any
flickering lights though.
7. Maybe one of the power cables is bad ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 27th 12, 06:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Nov 25, 9:11 pm, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:

Today was another weird day electronics wise.

The on- & back-on thing is fairly old but relates to a PWR-good
condition lead wire in there in the power connector for ATX
standards. I've had enough of them exhibit that sort of behavior -
along with it's sister difficultly when turning them off: they go off,
but unless the case PWR off is held in for an inordinate time, they'll
just want to cycle right back up again.

If the BIOS loses !EverythinG! Not Good. Got some serious issues.
What I suspect, though, is the timings are being thrown off, by power
anomalies, and subsequently triggering a sort of BIOS error similar to
a mis-overclocked or wrongly setup condition. Not so much a serious
as PITA condition. I've had them, too (used to keep a scrap-paper
with overclocked settings pasted to the case, until I just said screw
it - let it error, do a warm reboot, and it would pick it up from
there again with workable default settings based on what the CPU and
memory report back to the BIOS).

Wear and tear in the daily machine workings of how computers get old
and lame-assed.
Old November 27th 12, 04:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
GMAN[_14_]

In article . net, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
Today was another weird day electronics wise.

I had to pull out all cables.

The monitor did not want to turn off.

The old PC also didn't boot.

It does this each time but this time it was worse.

Anyway what I need to do to make it work is:

1. I turn it on, but nothing happens.
2. I turn it off.
3. I turn it on again and the PC goes into the BIOS stating that CPUs
setting was wrong.

I tried setting volts for cpu to 2.00, 2.05, 2.10 but that didnt help.

Really strange how it doesn't want to boot up the first time.

Any ideas what could be causing this ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Your damn battery is dead in your PC!!!!
Old November 27th 12, 06:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Don McKenzie

On 28-Nov-12 3:21 AM, GMAN wrote:
In article . net, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
Today was another weird day electronics wise.

I had to pull out all cables.

Your damn battery is dead in your PC!!!!

That is the way I figure it.

Check the time/date before you connect to the internet.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olinuxino.html

The World's Cheapest Computer:
DuinoMite the PIC32 $25 Basic Computer-MicroController
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-m...-computer.html
Add VGA Monitor/TV, and PS2 Keyboard, or use USB Terminal
Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.
Old November 27th 12, 08:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Paul

GMAN wrote:
In article . net, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
Today was another weird day electronics wise.

I had to pull out all cables.

The monitor did not want to turn off.

The old PC also didn't boot.

It does this each time but this time it was worse.

Anyway what I need to do to make it work is:

1. I turn it on, but nothing happens.
2. I turn it off.
3. I turn it on again and the PC goes into the BIOS stating that CPUs
setting was wrong.

I tried setting volts for cpu to 2.00, 2.05, 2.10 but that didnt help.

Really strange how it doesn't want to boot up the first time.

Any ideas what could be causing this ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Your damn battery is dead in your PC!!!!

In a typical PC, a CR2032 coin cell battery, maintains BIOS settings
and the real time clock. If the CR2032 is discharged, there is
nothing to maintain accurate time when the computer is unplugged.
If you don't want to replace the coin cell battery, then the
time settings must be re-entered, on each power-up of the PC.
Enter BIOS and set the clock, save, exit, boot.

Paul
Old November 27th 12, 08:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Michael Black[_2_]

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, Paul wrote:

Your damn battery is dead in your PC!!!!

In a typical PC, a CR2032 coin cell battery, maintains BIOS settings
and the real time clock. If the CR2032 is discharged, there is
nothing to maintain accurate time when the computer is unplugged.
If you don't want to replace the coin cell battery, then the
time settings must be re-entered, on each power-up of the PC.
Enter BIOS and set the clock, save, exit, boot.

It's more than that. All the BIOS settings are in the RAM that is battery
backed up. In the old days, you'd have to enter details of the hard drive
(or select from a menu) and that would go every time the computer forgot.
Same with boot sequence and all that.

With a dead battery, the cluelss might believe the computer is broken.

Let's not forget this is "Radium". A little knowledge is worse than a
lot. He'll pull out all kinds of things, only to realize the plug wasn't
in the wall (if he notices that). Or a different way of looking at it is
that he's posting for attention, a classic troll, and he has no real
problem or any need to "design a great 1998 computer today", he's doing it
to get a reaction. Note the crossposting, it's not as bad as in the old
days, but it's consistent with someone wanting to be annoying.

Michael

Old November 27th 12, 09:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Paul

Michael Black wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, Paul wrote:

[...]

Naw, it's not Radium. Radium is much more destructive. And Radium
has certain trademarks that are entirely missing from Skybuck posts.
So they're not the same person. Radium throws tantrums more easily.
Radium can't help itself.

Paul
Old November 27th 12, 10:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Flasherly[_2_]

On Nov 27, 3:32 pm, Michael Black wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, Paul wrote:
Your damn battery is dead in your PC!!!!

In a typical PC, a CR2032 coin cell battery, maintains BIOS settings
and the real time clock. If the CR2032 is discharged, there is
nothing to maintain accurate time when the computer is unplugged.
If you don't want to replace the coin cell battery, then the
time settings must be re-entered, on each power-up of the PC.
Enter BIOS and set the clock, save, exit, boot.

It's more than that. All the BIOS settings are in the RAM that is battery
backed up. In the old days, you'd have to enter details of the hard drive
(or select from a menu) and that would go every time the computer forgot.
Same with boot sequence and all that.

With a dead battery, the cluelss might believe the computer is broken.

I just bought a BiosedStar MB a couple months ago and returned it
because it wouldn't hold BIOS settings. Who wants to turn on a
computer that flashes in your face: Warning! Warning! Will Rogers --
Danger Due to CMOS MisMatch!

It wasn't a 2032 but close enough (according to WIKI) to open -very
first thing- the computer next to it, handy dandy like, and pull its
2032 for a substitute.

Some -- not many, yet some nevertheless do have BIOS issues. Had
another one, I sold identified for such, that had a knack for dropping
CPU multipliers to x4 instead of x12, were the CPU properly picked up.

I flash them, too, first thing as a manner of course. Although the
replacement for the BiosedStar, a nice little P4 Gigabytle, I did a
revisionary flash to a BIOS dated prior to what was provided. Seemed
different. How many people do you know that buy a new MB and put an
old BIOS on it for no particular reason? It's not at all like I
planned it.

(Actually, it had at USB slotted entry BIOS progressions, that, in
order turn on USB S3, a normal series of recognizable USB settings had
to be first engaged for an on state. However, I did, again without
reason, leave on the S3, and that appeared caused me some grief
because the computer wouldn't work right, had streaming/speed issues
with USB and HDs, until S3 was disengaged. Of course not nearly as
fast as this is transpiring. Hardly that. I suspect I may in the
physics of anomalistic retaliation have been spirited to a rebuttal in
form of a former BIOS revision. But, I've still got that S3 in
there. Do you know what in hell it is?)
Old November 28th 12, 01:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
mike

On 11/27/2012 12:13 PM, Paul wrote:
GMAN wrote:
In article . net,
"Skybuck Flying" wrote:
[...]

There's a lot more going on in the BIOS than the clock.
If you used anything but the defaults, they need to be changed too.
I just went thru a big hassle with system instability because I forgot
to turn hyperthreading back on in the BIOS.

Printer Duty cycle Doug Printers 6 December 5th 07 12:01 AM
Power generation...by cycle? General 2 December 20th 06 07:33 AM
boots fine 2 out of 3 times. boots to safe mode every third time senn Homebuilt PC's 2 January 2nd 05 10:10 AM
FLOPS per Cycle on a P4 Andre Intel 0 August 19th 03 08:10 AM