DreamPC2006 died again probably because of usb port/plug misalignment on pins.

Old November 21st 12, 04:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default DreamPC2006 died again probably because of usb port/plug misalignment on pins.

Skybuck's Dream PC from 2006 has died again it seems.

Possible causes:

1. Static electricity discharge from either me or the vacuum cleaner.
2. AMD X2 3800+ dual core processor wear and tear of motherboard.
3. DeLock card reader short circuit.
4. Denon Receiver voltage/ampere loop back.

Cause of death as of yet unknown.

DreamPC came back alive 1 more day just like last time before ultimately
dieing.
(Symptom during death was a hearable feedback loop on speakers during
freeze, this same sound was heard on other pc when ground wire was badly
connected.
USB DeLock might have been wrongly connected at first causing a short
circuit cause damage ?! )

Most likely cause of death: USB DeLock Card Reader USB plug misplaced
causing short circuit, possible ground wire related.

Suspected damage: ASRock Socket 939 motherboard components damaged/failed
because of usb plug/port short circuit.

Blame: USB port/Plug designers.

Recommendations/Adviced for futut Make it impossible to plug in plugs
wrongly too prevent short circuits.

Bye,
Skybuck.

P.S.:

Reposting of this message, apperently google didn't post it, also cannot use
google anymore on Pentium III 450 mhz. Google has turned into slow poo.

So I cannot research this topic properly:

"Connecting USB plugs wrongly can cause motherboard death"

Typing in such a long sentence would take forever on www.google.com LOL.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Double P.S.: Don't even think about suggesting BING because I already tried
that and it forwards me to my own postings via google newsgroup which is
slow poo as well.

It's quite ensobering to see how the world turns into poo when these big
services are not working anymore !

It will be most interesting to watch the IT world come to a screeching halt
within oh say 15 years thanks to the web/HTML 6 billion crap.

Do yourselfs a favor: stick to navive executable code, and void
parsers/text/html/xml LIKE THE PLAGUE... it's slow ass poo.

Old November 21st 12, 08:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Pins were like this:

.. = pin
= missing pin

+-+-+
|.| |
+-+-+
|.|.|
+-+-+
|.|.|
+-+-+
|.|.|
+-+-+
|.|.|
+-+-+

Plug was connected 1 row too high like this:

X = blocked hole on plug.

O X
+-+-+
|O|O|
+-+-+
|O|O|
+-+-+
|O|O|
+-+-+
|O|O|
+-+-+
|.|.|
+-+-+

The blocked hole did not prevent it from placing it wrongly.

I shall take a closer look at the asrock 790GX manual and post the pin
assignments for the usb port he

(It was middle usb port):

+-+-+
|1|2|
+-+-+
|3|4|
+-+-+
|5|6|
+-+-+
|7|8|
+-+-+
|9|0|
+-+-+

1 = dummy
2 = missing pin
3 = GND
4 = GND
5 = P+7
6 = P+6
7 = P-7
8 = P-6
9 = USB_PWR
10 = USB_PWR

The device wrongly attached to it was:

http://www.delock.com/produkte/F_276.../merkmale.html

"
Delock USB 2.0 Card Reader 3.5 57 in 1 + 1 x USB 2.0 port

Description
This Delock Card Reader can be installed into the 3.5 drive bay of your PC.
This card reader can read and write 57 different memory card formats.

Specification
- USB 2.0 Card Reader 57 in 1 with 1x USB 2.0 port
in a metal case for 3.5 bay installation
- Data transfer rate up to 480 Mbps
- Hot Swap, Plug & Play

- Supports following memory cards:
Slot 1: Compact Flash / Micro Drive CF I, CF II, CF 4.0, CF Extreme, CF
Extreme III, CF Extreme IV, CF Extreme IV UDMA, UDMA Extreme, UDMA 6 Extreme
Pro, ULTIMA II, Micro Drive, Magicstor
Slot 2: Secure Digital / Multi Media Card SD, SD High Capacity (SDHC), SDXC,
SD Ultra II, SD UDMA II, SD Extreme III, SDHC Turbo, SDHC Ultra, SDHC
Extreme, SDHC Extreme III, Turbo-SD, Turbo Mini SD*, Mini SD*, Mini SDHC*,
MMC-I, MMC-II, MMC plus, MMC plus Turbo, HS-MMC, HC-MMC, MMCmobile*,
MMCmobile* Dual-Voltage, RS-MMC*, RS-MMC 4.0*
Slot 3: Memory Stick xD, xD type M, xD type H
Slot 4: xD MicroSD, Micro SDHC, Micro SDHC Turbo, Mirco SDXC, T-Flash,
MMCmicro
Slot 5: M2 MS, MS-ROM, MS Magic Gate, MS Pro, MS-Pro Magic Gate, MS-Duo,
MS-Duo Magic Gate, MS-Pro Duo, MSPro HighSpeed, MS-Pro HG-Duo, MS-Pro Duo
Magic Gate, MS Micro (M2)*
*Adapter required

System requirements
- Windows 2000/XP/XP-64/Vista/Vista-64/7, Mac OS 8.6x or above,
Linux OS 2.4 or above
- PC with one free 3.5 Bay
- One free internal 9-pin USB 2.0 port

Package content
- Card Reader with cable for Mainboard
- User manual

Package
- Retail Box
"

Now I want to know why would this device cause the motherboard to die if
wrongly connected ?!

Bye,
Skybuck.

"Johann Klammer" wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
Pete wrote:
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Do M/B USB headers not normally have a blank pin to stop you plugging it
in in the wrong orientation? Or do you mean you plugged it into another
header which was not intended for USB?

That is _usually_ right, but unfortunately there are(at least) two
different pinouts for USB mainboard connectors, and the breakout units do
not always fit. So do not rely on the manufacturers to do the thinking for
you.

for example:
oldish msi k7tPro2-A
1 vcc
2 gnd
3 usbd3-
4 gnd
5 usbd3+
6 usbd2+
7 gnd
8 usbd2-
9 gnd
10vcc

oldish asrock k7vt4A Pro
1 usb-pwr
2 usb-pwr
3 p-4
4 p-5
5 p+4
6 p+5
7 gnd
8 gnd
9 (missing)
10dummy

Old November 21st 12, 04:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I think you are picking up a virus on Usenet.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Don't hate yourself in the morning -- sleep till noon.

Old November 21st 12, 05:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Pete[_9_]

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Do M/B USB headers not normally have a blank pin to stop you plugging it
in in the wrong orientation? Or do you mean you plugged it into another
header which was not intended for USB?

The main reason for using common connectors & M/B pins is to keep the
cost of the parts as low as possible. Considering the number of them on
the M/B it is a substantial piece part cost reduction.

On the bright side, now you can spec & build a new dream-machine

Pete

Old November 21st 12, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_14_]

In article , "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:
I think you are picking up a virus on Usenet.

He IS the virus on usenet!
Old November 21st 12, 06:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Jeff Liebermann[_2_]

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 05:50:55 +0100, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

Recommendations/Adviced for futut Make it impossible to plug in plugs
wrongly too prevent short circuits.

The problem with making something idiot proof is that our educational
system tends to produce better idiots.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Old November 21st 12, 07:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Johann Klammer

Skybuck Flying wrote:
Skybuck's Dream PC from 2006 has died again it seems.

Possible causes:

1. Static electricity discharge from either me or the vacuum cleaner.

which model? I suspect there's one of these here, too.

Old November 21st 12, 07:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Michael A. Terrell

Johann Klammer wrote:

Skybuck Flying wrote:
Skybuck's Dream PC from 2006 has died again it seems.

Possible causes:

1. Static electricity discharge from either me or the vacuum cleaner.

which model? I suspect there's one of these here, too.

So, there's more than one sucker in the house?