DreamPC2006 died again probably because of usb port/plug misalignment on pins.

Old November 22nd 12, 11:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Pete[_9_]

Default DreamPC2006 died again probably because of usb port/plug misalignmenton pins.

It must be me being from a younger generation, I like to move on and
keep with the latest hw/sw

On 22/11/2012 10:07, Johann Klammer wrote:
Pete wrote:
450 mhz.... bin the heap and upgrade.

No! don't. It's great for retro gaming.

Old November 22nd 12, 01:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Jeroen Belleman

Pete wrote:
450 mhz.... bin the heap and upgrade.

No! don't. It's great for retro gaming.

Must be because you are just playing with it. When you've
got work to do, these incessant upgrades quickly grow tiring.

Jeroen Belleman
Old November 22nd 12, 02:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Pete[_9_]

Pete wrote:
450 mhz.... bin the heap and upgrade.
No! don't. It's great for retro gaming.

Must be because you are just playing with it. When you've
got work to do, these incessant upgrades quickly grow tiring.

Jeroen Belleman

Well you are half right, I design computer based security systems so I
am constantly working with the tech but I still enjoy setting up
elaborate systems at home also.

Perhaps after a large number of years I will get bored.
Old November 22nd 12, 04:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Paul

Skybuck Flying wrote:
I will tell you guys (and girls ?) exactly how this happened.

It's kinda stupid but somewhat logical at the same time, so conflicting
requirements/logics:

Circumstances which led to the death:

1. I had to build in the new usb card reader (unfortunately it had no floppy
drive ?! )
2. I had to remove the old floppy drive.
3. I was worried about motherboard death.
4. I was worried about harddisk death.

So what I did was the following:

1. Remove the floppy drive/old card reader.
2. Build in the new usb card reader.
3. Take pictures with my new canon powershot sx50 hs. (I was confused about
the card reader only have a usb cable and nothing else)
4. I left the new usb card reader unconnected because I wanted to make sure
that the motherboard and harddisks were still working.
I was worried that connecting the new usb drive would blow it up/cause
damage. I wanted to check first if all the building didn't damage anything.
5. I booted the PC everything was working.
6. I shutdown the PC.
7. I tried to connect the usb plug... somewhat dark... while everything was
plugged in...

And that's when it happened.
Wrongly connected

8. I boot up the PC.
9. I tried and read something from the card
10. I play some music or something.
11. One minute after boot... FREEZE/HUMMING sounds on receiver/speakers.

And the thing I feared the most probably actually happened... it blew up the
fokking motherboard.

Not 100% sure, but it seems most likely cause of death.

It happened after about 1 minute of operation/playing some music or so.

Bye,
Skybuck.

That's probably latchup on the Southbridge, from the mis-connected header.
The Southbridge is probably ruined. The one under the aluminum heatsink
next to the three USB2 headers.

I have a floor lamp with an adjustable arm on it, that I use for
lighting the PC when working inside. Makes a big difference.
Plenty of light, so I can move wiring safely.

When fitting USB headers, turn off all power. You can do that
by switching the PC off at the back. Or, unplug the PC.
That's to ensure there is no +5VSB inside the chassis
(which also powers the USB header). Then fit the header.
Fitting one of those headers with the power on, is asking
for trouble.

And like it says in the motherboard manuals, if the
computer has both IEEE1394 headers and USB2 headers,
they have the same pin pattern. Don't install the USB2
header on a IEEE1394 2x5. Both have the keying pin in
the same place.

Paul
Old November 25th 12, 03:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Well this explains it quite nicely it seems.

I suspect the following happened.

Since the PC is not grounded as so many in this world, the 110 volts which
is on the ground wire through the PC entered into the P+7 P+6 lines...
probably going through the entire PC and back into the audio system.

I'd be lucky if everything else still works.

A nice example why ground is dangerous to equipment.

Also why 110 volts must be on case and not dumped back to eletricity grid is
beyond me.

Probably another stupid design.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 25th 12, 04:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

Blame: Sky****.

There, fixed that for you. You're welcome.

Blame: PC designers.

There fixed that for ya.

Quite strange how my Sharp TV still works after 20 years, but these latest
usb port/audio crap **** doesnt. Bleh !

At least I dont attach so much stuff to my Sharp TV.

Conclusion: attaching stuff is spark prone.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 25th 12, 12:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"WoolyBully" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 05:23:07 +0100, "SkyTard Futzing"
wrote:

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

Blame: Sky****.

There, fixed that for you. You're welcome.

Blame: PC designers.

You are so FULL of ****, BOY! A million users do just fine and one
dumb skytard ****s up. Guess where the **** up is, child.

Ddi you interview millions of users ?

What about all those other millions they died ?

Seriously you should do some interviews among any people you know that have
pcs ?

You do know any people right ?

Ask them if they had a pc death !

There fixed that for ya.

You fixed nothing.

Quite strange how my Sharp TV still works after 20 years, but these latest
usb port/audio crap **** doesnt. Bleh !

It has worked fine for those among us who are actually competent. It
would wok for you for 20 years too, if you could keep your RETARDED,
GRUBBY, FAT fingers off of it!

Nope it would catch fire from the dust collection alone.

Many houses/appartments do not have grounded power wall sockets.

So I suspect the PC death rate to be huge !

At least I dont attach so much stuff to my Sharp TV.

You are beyond retarded, boy. able to watch Avatar on that poS 20 year
old TV, are ya? NO? That's what I thought, you ****ing retard.

Why would it not be cable of viewing a ****ty hollywood movie ? lol.

Conclusion: SKYTARD attaching stuff is spark prone.

You need to wake up to reality.

Bye,
Skybuck.

There, FIXED that for ya.

Some predict the end of the PC.

I can see why

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Old November 25th 12, 04:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Jeff Liebermann[_2_]

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 04:40:37 +0100, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

I suspect the following happened.

Since the PC is not grounded as so many in this world, the 110 volts which
is on the ground wire through the PC entered into the P+7 P+6 lines...
probably going through the entire PC and back into the audio system.

I'd be lucky if everything else still works.

A nice example why ground is dangerous to equipment.

Why you need a ground in electrical wiring:
http://www.ehow.com/about_5375609_grounding-necessary-electricity.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthing_system
http://www.scribd.com/doc/5371938/why-grounding-is-used
Unfortunately, the life you save (by proper grounding) will probably
be yours.

Also why 110 volts must be on case and not dumped back to eletricity grid is
beyond me.

Probably another stupid design.

Well, if you're correct, there's a simple solution. Purchase a
surplus 25kw isolation transformer (two phase) and use it to isolate
your entire apartment from both the power grid and earth ground. (A
fork lift may be required for installation). Since there will be no
voltage between your lines and ground, it will be safe for you to
break off all the grounding pins on all your equipment. I use a
smaller version of the same isolation transformer idea on my lab bench
when working on switching power supplies, so that grounding the
oscilloscope doesn't create a smoking wire. However, you will need to
be rigorous and diligent with your power line isolation efforts. If
one phase accidentally hits earth ground, anything that gets between
any of the other phases and earth ground will be electrocuted.

Here's what may be a sample of such an installation:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/electrical-safety.jpg

Bye,
Skybuck.

R.I.P. in advance.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 26th 12, 11:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Johann Klammer

Skybuck Flying wrote:
Well this explains it quite nicely it seems.

I suspect the following happened.

Since the PC is not grounded as so many in this world, the 110 volts which
is on the ground wire through the PC entered into the P+7 P+6 lines...
probably going through the entire PC and back into the audio system.

Only if you did not unplug it first.

I'd be lucky if everything else still works.

A nice example why ground is dangerous to equipment.

Also why 110 volts must be on case and not dumped back to eletricity grid is
beyond me.

Probably another stupid design.

Alright, you've trapped me again,

It is there because you did not ground it. There's circuitry in your PSU
that essentially forms a high resistance path from line to Ground(=your
case). As your ground pin(and case) are not connected, it will freely
float to some voltage between the two phases.

You have something(_very_ roughly) like the following.

| |both R very large(leakage from capacitors etc...)
| |
*---*--- you can touch this point,
| | but it hurts. It's the case and
| | the local, unconnected ground pin.
| | --- C_case
| | ---
| |
GND

Do not expect weird behaviour, if you use equipment in different ways
than what it was designed for. It is like pulling slime from your nose
with a power drill.

Even if you tried to 'dump' the 110V back to the grid you could not do
it without ground connection. The wall plug fits both ways, so line and
neutral wire can be swapped at random. You can therefore not connect the
case to the neutral pin that the PSU sees, as that may in fact be the
live one. You'd get electrocuted as soon as you touch it. Even if the
wall plugs were keyed, neutral may not be at ground potential, as it
carries return current and will drift around a bit. The ground bracket
on the plug will _always_ fit to the ground contacts, so that is the
'only' sane reference point for your case. Yes, certain consumer
equipment has just two pin plugs, but that stuff is designed to work
that way.