USB PORTS on the motherboard WORST INVENTION EVER.

Old November 25th 12, 02:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default USB PORTS on the motherboard WORST INVENTION EVER.

"Johann Klammer" wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
Skybuck Flying wrote:
"Johann wrote in message
.telekom.at...
Skybuck Flying wrote:
I wonder if a grounded-pc might have prevented damage... I don't
know...
PC
is not grounded.

How can that be possible? Isn't there that 3 pin connector at the power
supply.

Yes, the wall socket doesn't have a ground pin as far as I know...

Just 2 pins.... (Europe).

Bye,
Skybuck.

I think we've found your (real) problem. Use a socket with those grounding
brackets, not one for electric shavers/hairdryers. The buzz you hear from
your soundcard is the line frequency(50 Hz). The case is a big capacitor
and may charge up to line voltage. You cannot expect the thing to suffer
repeated discharges(when you touch it) and continue working.

I think I just noticed this buzzing again... while trying to plug in an
audio cable while everything was on.

I shall try and contact the building owner, and try again to get these wall
sockets grounded.

Though one powersupply of the old computer popped and the circuit breaker
went off... don't know why...

I thought at the time maybe drawing too much watts from the electrical
system... perhaps over 1800 watts...

But could also have been a short circuit...

I did notice a little bit when touching the pc case and plugging in the
audio cable at the same time or nearly same time... that this buzzing
occurs... not entirely sure...

It literaly sounds dangerous though.

However I am still pretty sure that misconnecting the usb plug also caused
damage.

So many ways/dangerous ways to cause damage or die...

So I will try to at least prevent deaths from happening

Though as Chris S didn't understand... "any change introduces the
possibility of mistakes made"...

So having somebody work on the electrical system is dangerous if that person
doesn't know what he's doing or simply makes a mistake becaue he's human.

Though having experienced a power supply failing is somewhat worrieing.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 25th 12, 02:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"rickman" wrote in message
On 11/21/2012 4:06 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:

I also live in an appartment high up, so I am not sure if grounding wall
sockets is a good idea.

What? Why would that be? Are you suggesting that it might attract
lightning? lol

Rick

Aduio/Ground Loops. Google it.

Old November 25th 12, 02:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"Chris S." wrote in message

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
b.home.nl...

"Johann Klammer" wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
Skybuck Flying wrote:
"Johann wrote in message
.telekom.at...
Skybuck Flying wrote:
I wonder if a grounded-pc might have prevented damage... I don't
know...
PC
is not grounded.

How can that be possible? Isn't there that 3 pin connector at the
power
supply.

Yes, the wall socket doesn't have a ground pin as far as I know...

Just 2 pins.... (Europe).

Bye,
Skybuck.

I think we've found your (real) problem. Use a socket with those
grounding brackets, not one for electric shavers/hairdryers. The buzz
you hear from your soundcard is the line frequency(50 Hz). The case is a
big capacitor and may charge up to line voltage. You cannot expect the
thing to suffer repeated discharges(when you touch it) and continue
working.

I didn't touch the PC when the buzz sound occured.

I suspect the USB Plug misalignment caused the buzz sound on the DreamPC.

The same buzz sound happened on the Pentium III 450 mhz when one of those
power connectors/hd leds/power switch connectors was wrongly connected I
think.

The real question is:

What would have happened if the PC was grounded ?

Would the misplaced USB plug go undetected ?

Would it have prevented damage ?

In a way maybe it was a good thing the PC was not grounded, at least I
heard literally that there was a problem.

Unfortunately it did cause damage.

If it didn't then the usb drive/card reader probably wouldn't have worked
and I would have found the misaligned plug eventually.

I also live in an appartment high up, so I am not sure if grounding wall
sockets is a good idea.

I have explored this topic in the past...

I don't want to change the wall socket because I don't know if that's
safe... I don't like changing things which have worked for tens of years
for other people...

For all I know it might make matters worse and there is definetly some
thruth to that...

Bye,
Skybuck.

How can one man be SO wrong EVERY time? Incredible.

Chris

How can human beings make so many mistakes ?

Bugger off.

Old November 25th 12, 02:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"Johann Klammer" wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
Skybuck Flying wrote:
"Johann wrote in message
.telekom.at...
Skybuck Flying wrote:
I wonder if a grounded-pc might have prevented damage... I don't
know...
PC
is not grounded.

How can that be possible? Isn't there that 3 pin connector at the power
supply.

Yes, the wall socket doesn't have a ground pin as far as I know...

Just 2 pins.... (Europe).

Bye,
Skybuck.

I think we've found your (real) problem. Use a socket with those grounding
brackets, not one for electric shavers/hairdryers. The buzz you hear from
your soundcard is the line frequency(50 Hz). The case is a big capacitor
and may charge up to line voltage. You cannot expect the thing to suffer
repeated discharges(when you touch it) and continue working.

Something doesn't add up about your theory though.

So far:

1. The PC case has 110 volts on it, but very little ampere ?!

Now you claim that when I touch the PC case and touch other parts of the PC
and/or audio cables that this will somehow give a shock to the PC equipment
?

Since there is very little to no ampere flowing how could this be ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 25th 12, 03:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
el.net...

"Johann Klammer" wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
Skybuck Flying wrote:
"Johann wrote in message
.telekom.at...
Skybuck Flying wrote:
[...]

Hmm.. Ok, I think I get it a little bit...

He said "capacitator" so that's like a battery.

The entire case/plates start functioning as a battery...

The case starts accumilating electrons...

And then when I touch it... those can escape and go back into the system or
so...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 25th 12, 03:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Also explain to me why the kitchen wall sockets are grounded and the living
room sockets are not grounded ?!

Seems very weird to me...

Perhaps there was a good reason for this.

Just telling people to ground everything seems foolish at best because of
ground loops and the way electricity goes to ground.

If people in between that path they might still get fryed... ?!

Perhaps it was to save a few bucks here and there... but I dont believe
that.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 25th 12, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Jeff Liebermann[_2_]

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 04:00:34 +0100, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

He said "capacitator" so that's like a battery.

The correct term is "cazapitor". It goes "zap" when you short it.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 25th 12, 04:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Jeff Liebermann[_2_]

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 03:50:53 +0100, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

1. The PC case has 110 volts on it, but very little ampere ?!

Now you claim that when I touch the PC case and touch other parts of the PC
and/or audio cables that this will somehow give a shock to the PC equipment
?

Since there is very little to no ampere flowing how could this be ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

It only takes 10 milliamps (0.01 amps) through the heart to kill you.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071127204717AAa8WuU
Probably about the same to kill your USB port. If you own a working
volts guesser, you may want to measure the voltage between an earth
ground (water pipe) and various parts of your computer system. It
doesn't take much to get zapped. Also, consider getting a grounded
receptacle tester like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/USA_receptacle_tester.jpg
After getting shocked by a customers miswired house, I make it a habit
of checking the power wiring before doing any work.

Note: I've had a triple bypass heart operation and am therefore
immune to electrocution by current through the heart. Unfortunately,
a silver spike or silver bullet through the heart still works, so I
still have to be careful.

Old November 25th 12, 06:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Rodney Pont[_5_]

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 08:50:33 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Note: I've had a triple bypass heart operation and am therefore
immune to electrocution by current through the heart. Unfortunately,
a silver spike or silver bullet through the heart still works, so I
still have to be careful.

What about an Oak stake? I bet that will work :-)

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Old November 25th 12, 06:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Michael A. Terrell

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Note: I've had a triple bypass heart operation and am therefore
immune to electrocution by current through the heart. Unfortunately,
a silver spike or silver bullet through the heart still works, so I
still have to be careful.

Luckily, you can't afford any silver... ;-)