DreamPC2006 died again probably because of usb port/plug misalignment on pins.

Old November 21st 12, 07:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Pete[_9_]

Default DreamPC2006 died again probably because of usb port/plug misalignmenton pins.

On 21/11/2012 19:32, Johann Klammer wrote:
Pete wrote:
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Do M/B USB headers not normally have a blank pin to stop you plugging it
in in the wrong orientation? Or do you mean you plugged it into another
header which was not intended for USB?

That is _usually_ right, but unfortunately there are(at least) two
different pinouts for USB mainboard connectors, and the breakout units
do not always fit. So do not rely on the manufacturers to do the
thinking for you.

for example:
oldish msi k7tPro2-A
1 vcc
2 gnd
3 usbd3-
4 gnd
5 usbd3+
6 usbd2+
7 gnd
8 usbd2-
9 gnd
10vcc

oldish asrock k7vt4A Pro
1 usb-pwr
2 usb-pwr
3 p-4
4 p-5
5 p+4
6 p+5
7 gnd
8 gnd
9 (missing)
10dummy

I assume this has been resolved with an industry standard for USB 3.0?
Old November 21st 12, 08:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Mike Tomlinson

Blame: Sky****.

There, fixed that for you. You're welcome.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old November 21st 12, 09:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Jeff Liebermann[_2_]

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 10:28:24 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 05:50:55 +0100, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

Recommendations/Adviced for futut Make it impossible to plug in plugs
wrongly too prevent short circuits.

The problem with making something idiot proof is that our educational
system tends to produce better idiots.

Examples of idiots in action (my exeriences between 1983 and 1994):
http://www.netjeff.com/humor/item.cgi?file=TechSupportStories
In the 18 years since then, the technology and problems have changed.
The idiots are still the same.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 21st 12, 09:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

I will tell you guys (and girls ?) exactly how this happened.

It's kinda stupid but somewhat logical at the same time, so conflicting
requirements/logics:

Circumstances which led to the death:

1. I had to build in the new usb card reader (unfortunately it had no floppy
drive ?! )
2. I had to remove the old floppy drive.
3. I was worried about motherboard death.
4. I was worried about harddisk death.

So what I did was the following:

1. Remove the floppy drive/old card reader.
2. Build in the new usb card reader.
3. Take pictures with my new canon powershot sx50 hs. (I was confused about
the card reader only have a usb cable and nothing else)
4. I left the new usb card reader unconnected because I wanted to make sure
that the motherboard and harddisks were still working.
I was worried that connecting the new usb drive would blow it up/cause
damage. I wanted to check first if all the building didn't damage anything.
5. I booted the PC everything was working.
6. I shutdown the PC.
7. I tried to connect the usb plug... somewhat dark... while everything was
plugged in...

And that's when it happened.
Wrongly connected

8. I boot up the PC.
9. I tried and read something from the card
10. I play some music or something.
11. One minute after boot... FREEZE/HUMMING sounds on receiver/speakers.

And the thing I feared the most probably actually happened... it blew up the
fokking motherboard.

Not 100% sure, but it seems most likely cause of death.

It happened after about 1 minute of operation/playing some music or so.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 21st 12, 09:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

This methology is the same way I program software.

I take it step by step.

Unfortunately that methology apperently doesn't work to well with
electronics... DEATH OCCURED ! NOOOOOOOO !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 21st 12, 09:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

I also had more bad luck.

There were only 3 light bulbs working at the time...

I bought 4 light bulbs, had to replace a few...

Unfortunatel 1 light bulb had the wrong fitting... it was too small...
packaging almost looked identical.

Perhaps if all 4 light bulbs were working I might have had enough light to
spot the mis alignment.

Then again the high up on the ceiling...

It's dark inside a PC... and the plugs/pins real tiny... really hard to get
it right.

I even had a super hard time getting the power connectors/leds connectors
and stuff connected to the Old Pentium III 450 mhz... even with a light bulb
right next to it...

Next time I should take a small little lamp and place it right next to it...
or just take PC apart again... but this risks more damage to harddisks if
they inside...

Perhaps me should be glad that at least my harddisks are not dead ! At least
I hope so

I am not really glad though... all this **** just because of one little
stupid plug

I now have to find either:

1. A new socket 939 motherboard for sale somewhere.

or

2. A new motherboard + new cpu, hopefully memory compatible, otherwise new
memory too, that could become expensive.

maybe I should try and fix it as cheaply as possible... I kinda hate giving
up on a CPU... this amd cpu... I would like to keep it working for
historical reason ya know !

I can always buy a new PC in the future.

Now I just need to find a dutch store with a socket 939 motherboard.

Perhaps I will go for the asrock 785 motherboard... not sure if that will
fit my PC needs... I dismissed it in favor of the 790GX not sure why
anymore... might have to look into my own postings for that...

Pentium III 450 mhz a bit too slow for surfing probably too low memory...
it's a bit slow as well... but 256 MB just not enough for XP... even with
more memory it would still be too slow... so not going to spent any more
money on it sorry, little computer !

Saving my money for a new computer in the future... just need to get this
one back online !

I guess I will have to read the 785 manual again to see what it's got and if
it's suited... what I remember from it is it's more tiny and probably has
some wireless stuff on it ?!

Actually my memory is coming back to me... I think it actually uses
different memory slots.

So it could be useless... oh-oh...

I'll just have to find me another webshop which has ASRock 790GX
motherboard... that would be best...

And then I have to make sure not to blow it up anymore !

Ouch !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 21st 12, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Also one of the problems with these tiny power switch/led connectors is the
following:

The plugs are black and so are the ports/headers.

All that blackness makes it very hard to see how they are aligning up...

And they are hardly shiny... so even adding light doesn't change much.

There would need to be a shading difference or highlights to notice
anything... but with total blackness it's just not there.

So using different colors for these plugs/headers would be nice and make
things a bit easier to see.

How much more that would cost I don't know

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 22nd 12, 05:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

I just came up with a hopefully good plan/experiment for the DreamPC... yes
still not done with it, because me not statisfied with the results so far.

The last year or so... I put the fans on medium speed, and no dust filters,
end result:

CPU Heatsink full with dust !

Power Supply full with dust !

All passively cooled things were okish, slight dust particles but not to
bad.

Also fans full with dust.

So new plan is the following, since I have two motherboards:

1. The coming year I will put fans on low speed. (If that aint working
because of high temperatures I might set it back to medium speed, but low
speed will probably be ok).

If the system dies again because of cleaning operation in the future, then
my final experiment will be:

2. Disconnect FANS from the front, and maybe the back too... perhaps leave
big fan on, or maybe disconnect that too... and only leave power fan
spinning... but maybe one back fan should be on... low or so... So the Antec
1200 would become an almost passively cooled system... there is plenty of
room/air in it... so perhaps a modest airflow is enough to keep the CPU
cool... and also the passively cooled GPU.

If the motherfokker dies again because of overheat (probably not) or
dust-related-cleaning the fokking thing will go into the waste basket lol.

Then I will buy a new PC, make sure it can attach my new drives... and new
PC should remain dust free as much as possible and be low heat as much as
possible

Hopefully the dreampc won't die with this somewhat open antec 1200 grid
inlet... and hopefully modest airflow will not cause dust issues !

I think it probably will cause dust issues, so this means next PC must have
a closed front to prevent dust from getting sucked in...

Time will tell !

Place your dust-bets now !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 22nd 12, 10:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Pete[_9_]

450 mhz.... bin the heap and upgrade. Out of curiosity what size are
your HDD's?

I'm assuming something that old is IDE?

Old November 22nd 12, 10:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Johann Klammer

Pete wrote:
450 mhz.... bin the heap and upgrade.

No! don't. It's great for retro gaming.