PCI USB2/1394 Card not working on XP Pro SP2

Old October 27th 04, 09:30 PM
Keith

Default PCI USB2/1394 Card not working on XP Pro SP2

I bought a PCI firewire/usb2 card off ebay (new sealed) for my PC.

XP detects the card and adds it to device manager but puts a yellow ? next
to the two parts (1394 and usb2) thus disabling them. It gives a "Code 10"
error.

Any ideas anyone?

My PC:
MB: Abit KT7A-RAID 1.3
CPU: AMD Athlon 1600+
RAM: 1.5GB

I have all MS patches and have updated my 4-in-1 drivers for my MB. I have
not updated BIOS because I'm not sure that's at fault as XP sees the card.

Old October 27th 04, 10:01 PM
Fitz

Does the error code (10) include the statement, "data is invalid"? If so,
here's a link to the fix (I had to use it for my pci firewire card).
http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,6156-1359658,00.html

Good Luck,
Fitz

Old October 27th 04, 11:24 PM
Keith

It says the device cannot start (Code 10).

In the system event log I also have the following:

Event ID: 7026

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
hptpro
ohci1394

Old October 28th 04, 10:24 AM
WebWalker

Did you install the driver forthe said card?

I usually see Code 10 error when wrong/none driver (for said
device/card) was installed or the Win XP is not up to date.

--
WebWalker
Old October 28th 04, 10:37 AM
Keith

"WebWalker" wrote in message
Did you install the driver forthe said card?

I usually see Code 10 error when wrong/none driver (for said
device/card) was installed or the Win XP is not up to date.

--
WebWalker

There are no drivers supplied. It gets the firewire and usb2 drivers from
XP.

Old October 29th 04, 03:36 AM
WebWalker

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:37:29 +0100, "Keith" @. wrote:

"WebWalker" wrote in message
.. .
Did you install the driver forthe said card?

I usually see Code 10 error when wrong/none driver (for said
device/card) was installed or the Win XP is not up to date.

--
WebWalker

There are no drivers supplied. It gets the firewire and usb2 drivers from
XP.

Are you sure?
Did you check the card maker site?
They might have driver for you to download.

--
WebWalker
Old October 29th 04, 05:50 AM
kony

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:30:45 GMT, "Keith" @. wrote:

I bought a PCI firewire/usb2 card off ebay (new sealed) for my PC.

XP detects the card and adds it to device manager but puts a yellow ? next
to the two parts (1394 and usb2) thus disabling them. It gives a "Code 10"
error.

Any ideas anyone?

My PC:
MB: Abit KT7A-RAID 1.3
CPU: AMD Athlon 1600+
RAM: 1.5GB

I have all MS patches and have updated my 4-in-1 drivers for my MB. I have
not updated BIOS because I'm not sure that's at fault as XP sees the card.

I vaguely recall that SP2 can foul up USB, if you have the
option you might try a temporary WinXP SP1 install and see
if the card works in that environment.
Old October 29th 04, 09:29 AM
Keith

"WebWalker" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:37:29 +0100, "Keith" @. wrote:

"WebWalker" wrote in message
. ..
Did you install the driver forthe said card?

I usually see Code 10 error when wrong/none driver (for said
device/card) was installed or the Win XP is not up to date.

--
WebWalker

There are no drivers supplied. It gets the firewire and usb2 drivers from
XP.

Are you sure?
Did you check the card maker site?
They might have driver for you to download.

--
WebWalker

Can't identify the card manufacturer so can't find a website, but from what
I hear no manufactureres supplu USB2 or Firewire drivers as Windows own some
sort of rights over the distribution of them.

Just tried this card in my XP SP2 machine at work and it worked fine! So it
must be a conflict on my machine at home

Old October 29th 04, 09:30 AM
Keith

"kony" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:30:45 GMT, "Keith" @. wrote:

I bought a PCI firewire/usb2 card off ebay (new sealed) for my PC.

XP detects the card and adds it to device manager but puts a yellow ? next
to the two parts (1394 and usb2) thus disabling them. It gives a "Code
10"
error.

Any ideas anyone?

My PC:
MB: Abit KT7A-RAID 1.3
CPU: AMD Athlon 1600+
RAM: 1.5GB

I have all MS patches and have updated my 4-in-1 drivers for my MB. I
have
not updated BIOS because I'm not sure that's at fault as XP sees the card.

I vaguely recall that SP2 can foul up USB, if you have the
option you might try a temporary WinXP SP1 install and see
if the card works in that environment.

It was SP1a to start with. I upgraded to SP2 when it didn't work in the
hope it would fix it.

Just tried it at work in my SP2 machine and it works, so there must be some
sort of other conflict on my home machine I need to find now.

I'm going to put a spare HDD in I have and clean format it with SP2 with the
card in. Then if it fails I know it's a hardware problem and if it works
it's software.

Old October 29th 04, 04:12 PM
Noozer

"Keith" @. wrote in message
"kony" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried it in all your PCI slots? Anything else in your PCI slots?