IDE Cable

Old January 25th 04, 01:21 PM
Edward J. Neth

Default IDE Cable

The new cable has the same 40 pins as the old one - but has 80 wires.
Unless your system is older than a Dimension 4100, it already has an 80-wire
40-pin cable. If not, and you use the new one, chances are you will need to
rejumper the drives as master and slave, since the new cable probably is not
a cable-select cable.

"Roy" wrote in message
Just bought a Maxtor 80 gig ATA drive to act as a secondary drive to my
existing Deskstar. Apparently I have to use a 80 - pin UDMA cable for this
drive. My present drive uses a 40 pin cable. Will I be able to fit the 80
pin cable in place of the 40 pin one and use cable select on both drives

Old January 25th 04, 06:11 PM
See signature below

I got a Western Digital 80 for my older Dell R400. Not sure how the
mounting is in your computer, but Dell used a custom built 40 wire IDE
cable. There was no way to make the standard IDE cable that came with
the drive to plug in to both drives due to physical position of the
drives to one another. I ended up using wire ties to hold the new
drive next to the the existing one. I don't think I had to do
anything about the Master/Slave jumpers and just configured as Cable
Select, but I don't remember.

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:21:01 GMT, "Edward J. Neth"
wrote:

The new cable has the same 40 pins as the old one - but has 80 wires.
Unless your system is older than a Dimension 4100, it already has an 80-wire
40-pin cable. If not, and you use the new one, chances are you will need to
rejumper the drives as master and slave, since the new cable probably is not
a cable-select cable.

"Roy" wrote in message
. ..
Just bought a Maxtor 80 gig ATA drive to act as a secondary drive to my
existing Deskstar. Apparently I have to use a 80 - pin UDMA cable for this
drive. My present drive uses a 40 pin cable. Will I be able to fit the 80
pin cable in place of the 40 pin one and use cable select on both drives

You know what to do: shdb at slip dot net
Old January 25th 04, 06:27 PM
Timothy Daniels

What makes an 80-wire cable a Cable Select cable
or not a Cable Select cable?

*TimDaniels*

"Edward J. Neth" wrote:
The new cable has the same 40 pins as the old one -
but has 80 wires. Unless your system is older than
a Dimension 4100, it already has an 80-wire 40-pin
cable. If not, and you use the new one, chances are
you will need to rejumper the drives as master and slave,
since the new cable probably is not a cable-select cable.

"Roy" had written:

Old January 25th 04, 07:27 PM
Edward J. Neth

In theory at least, all Ultra ATA cables are supposed to be cable select -
master at the connector further from the mainboard, slave on the middle
connector. In practice, not all cables work this way. The drives
themselves have terminators on them -- the UltraATA cable is supposed to
read the terminator to distinguish master from slave.

Of course, the advent of SATA has rendered this moot - the industry is
moving away from parallel ATA, toward SATA, which is a trend that will
accelerate with the advent of the BTX mainboard and power supply (and the
demise of ATX) beginning this Spring/Summer.

Old January 26th 04, 05:00 AM
Timothy Daniels

By "terminators" don't you mean the jumper positions?
Aren't those jumpers actually "read" by the IDE channel,
and if they are set to indicate Cable Select, *then*
the connector position determines Master or Slave?
In other words, ATA cables don't specify Cable Select
mode, only the jumpers on the hard drives do?

*TimDaniels*

Old January 27th 04, 09:20 AM
Timothy Daniels

Thanks for clearing that up. The link you posted
and the one inside it
(http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html)
are good ones.

*TimDaniels*

"Brian K" posted:
http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/ide-cable-select.html

"Timothy Daniels" asked:

Old January 28th 04, 05:22 AM
Brian K

I still use Master/ Slave jumpers. With Cable Select you can't put the
Master device on the middle connector, if that is a more convenient
position.

Brian

Old January 28th 04, 08:09 AM
Timothy Daniels

That brings up another thing: What does it matter whether
a device is Master or Slave? Isn't the boot device designated
by the BIOS' boot sequence?

*TimDaniels*

Old January 28th 04, 01:14 PM
Hank Arnold

Nope. Master is booted first.

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Timothy Daniels" wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. The link you posted
and the one inside it
(http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html)
are good ones.

"Brian K" posted:
http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/ide-cable-select.html

"Timothy Daniels" asked:
What makes an 80-wire cable a Cable Select cable
or not a Cable Select cable?

Digital Cable setup? Shelley Ati Videocards 2 April 3rd 04 06:05 AM
Split Cable Modem Line For TV Tuner? *Vanguard* General 3 November 24th 03 12:14 AM
cutting psu wires Pen General 4 July 27th 03 07:49 PM
No partition data when ATA-100 cable used. DS Homebuilt PC's 5 July 8th 03 08:01 AM
2nd HD install question cable orientation GarySport Dell Computers 5 July 5th 03 03:48 AM