Why is this HDD so small?

Old March 13th 21, 02:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

Default Why is this HDD so small?

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 at 06:21:55, Paul wrote (my
[]
We had some frauds, USB sticks in "1TB and 2TB size", which,
right away, is a "danger Will Robinson" clue. Then, when you
discover the price is $10 or $15, that cinches it, that it's
a fraud. $15 will buy you a 16GB or maybe a 32GB stick, but
not a 2TB stick.

[]
And HDDs in 1 and 2 TB sizes with silly low prices.

If the listing says anything about "cannot be partitioned", or any
limitation on what OSs (such as "Windows only" or "not compatible with
Linux"), that used to be a red flag that it was capacity-faked.

Seemed to be only 1 or 2 TB - not larger; I think the hack they had
discovered that made them appear bigger than they are only worked for
those two sizes. (But of course bigger-appearing fakes will appear in
time, I'm sure.)

There was an article where someone had opened up one of the cheap
external portable drives - it just contained a USB stick; plus a couple
of steel bolts glued inside the case to make it feel satisfyingly heavy!
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

The average age at which a woman has her first child has passed 30.
Jason Cowley, RT 2016/6/11-17
Old March 13th 21, 03:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Mayayana

"micky" wrote

| What about that it has no brand name? Would you buy it for a backup
| drive?

Aitaton. I looked at their site. They seem to only
sell cables. I think what you've got there is a James
Bond secret GPS unit and hard disk for copying spy
secrets, camouflaged as a cigarette lighter. If the
lighter works I'd say it's worth 50 bucks.

Old March 13th 21, 05:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
micky

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 12 Mar 2021 23:26:38 -0500, Paul
wrote:

micky wrote:
Why is this so small?

There's so much fraud online, it would make your ears burn.

Look at the Reviews for the item.

The reviews have been salted with random reviews
stolen from other items. Good work, Amazon.

Hmmm. I see what you mean:

M. J. Richards
5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for a very nicely made case.
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on January 3, 2021
Verified Purchase
I only have good things to say about this case for a Samsung A7 tablet.
It's a very good fit, the tablet clips in and feels totally secure.
All the necessary holes are cut out in the correct places. Especially
the headphone socket. As it's completely cut out in that corner, all
headphones will fit. Even those with a 90 degree angled plug.
It has a magnet for keeping it closed.
The tablet turns off immediately when you close the cover.
The front cover can be folded to act as a stand. It works very well in
practice.
Overall, it's a really nice protective case. It's well made, performs
excellently and is very good value for money.
I immediately bought another for my partners tablet.
Recommended.
I hope you found this review helpful.

*******

Just stick a hard drive in your Dock, like
you always do.

If your Dock is a slow USB2 one, get a USB3 version.

Use the free version of HDTune, to get some idea
how good your setup is.

I used to have that, coudln't remember why. I'll get it again.

Paul

Old March 13th 21, 06:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Ken Blake[_4_]

On 3/12/2021 8:27 PM, micky wrote:

Why is this so small?

Alternatively, why aren't they all so small?
Less than 4" x 1 1/4" x 1/3".

Is it a real HDD, a spinner, with a rotating platter? It calls it a
harddrive more than once, and never uses SSD, etc. but it's so small.

https://www.amazon.com/External-Hard...9&sr=1-11&th=1

Regardless of what Amazon call it, it can't be a real hard drive. It
must be an SSD. It seems to be an oversize thumb drive. There are lots
of other 1TB thumb drives for sale, and some of them are less expensive.

What about that it has no brand name? Would you buy it for a backup
drive?

I've never used one, don't know anybody who has, never read a review of
it, and know nothing about it. What you do is up to you of course, but
using such an unknown product is risky.

For file backup, is a real 2.5" external drive better for backup?
external 2.5" HDD, SSD, 3.5" HDD in a dock

I wouldn't use it for backup, but the reason has nothing to do with its
not being a real HD; it's because it's unknown.

--
Ken
Old March 13th 21, 07:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
micky

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 13 Mar 2021 14:21:17 +0100, "Carlos
E.R." wrote:

On 13/03/2021 04.27, micky wrote:
Why is this so small?

Alternatively, why aren't they all so small?
Less than 4" x 1 1/4" x 1/3".

Is it a real HDD, a spinner, with a rotating platter? It calls it a
harddrive more than once, and never uses SSD, etc. but it's so small.

https://www.amazon.com/External-Hard...9&sr=1-11&th=1

What about that it has no brand name? Would you buy it for a backup
drive?

For file backup, is a real 2.5" external drive better for backup?
external 2.5" HDD, SSD, 3.5" HDD in a dock

Some specs it claims:

Upgraded Type-C/USB3.1 Gen 1 HDD brings fast transmission speed up to
100MB/S.
Speed: 400MB/S
Widely compatible with 99% of PC systems.
Shockproof and anti-drop design to prolong service life.

All that indicate it is not rotating rust. It has to be SSD or nvme if
it is not a scam.

The reviews contain a lot of text that are not for this device. Several
reports are for "car indicators", for example.

Sound fishy.

I thought I had lost interest but I kept reading.

Once before I saw one review obviously meant for something else, and I
figured that was like when I post to the wrong newsgroup. But here,
none of the first 6 or more were about this device, even though they are
labeled Verified Purchase. (One was for a 250G drive, not 1T, and it
was only from last January 20, less than 2 months ago.)

I clicked on Report Abuse for one, and I thought it would let me
explain, but instead I just reported someone. I presume they're
computer will clear him and if it goes to a person I'll get labeled a
troublemaker. I'd hate to think I did that to an innocent man.

Also it said "There are 0 reviews and 0 ratings from the United States
". That's certainly possible but I don't remember seeing it before.

Works a treat, check the split really voltage
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on May 25, 2019
Verified Purchase
Works, but the light stays on when the vehicle is turned off.
Apparently the voltage has been changed in the relay and this is very
close to the operating voltage.
I first thought it was faulty and checked with the seller; very nice
people.
All good, but 4*
Old March 13th 21, 07:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
micky

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 13 Mar 2021 10:07:40 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

[...]

I didn't mind that JCWhitney sold things that didn't work, like the gas
pressure regulator that would impove my gas mileage by 50%. I used my
own judgment and never bought that.

But JCWhitney didn't display** customer ratings, including by "verified
customers". I don't see how so many verified customers could have
rated the wrong thing as for this item. I hope Amazon doesn't let this
become other than very rare.

**I haven't been to their webpage for a couple years.
Old March 13th 21, 07:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Rene Lamontagne

wrote:

[...]

I have seen this BS many times, that's why i don't read their stupid
reviews.
They are mostly fabricated crap.

Rene

Old March 13th 21, 07:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
micky

wrote:

[...]

So who is doing this? The vendor? Amazon? Trolls?

Because I can't imagine it's Amazon or trolls so if it's the vendor,
finding a bunch of fraudulent reviews would be a good way to know to
reject something.

I've had pretty good results from reading reviews. They remind me of
things I hadn't thought of, or tell me how to use something. Just
yesterday for an external drive, for one model several reviewers
complained the included cable was only 3 inches long, and for another
model they said it was included when the doggone vendor-suppolied info
didn't say.

Unrelated, I have a bluetooth earpiece that connects to the cell phone.
I get few phone calls and don't find it helpful, didnt' use it for
years, but I resolved to take long walks for excercise and thought it
would help me keep in touch. BUT, I couldn't remember how it works,
couldn't find the instructions in my home or online, and finally found
it on Amazon and one of the pictures said what the different buttons
did.
FWIW, I still didn't like it and I got a better pair of wired earbuds,
but even they tend to fall out of my ears. I think my ears are
mal-formed, but I never noticed it until they invented earbuds.
Old March 13th 21, 09:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
nospam

In article , Wolf K
wrote:

Sometime in the 1990s I had a true spinner that was about 2" square by
1" thick. Came with a leather case for protection. Can't recall the
capacity. USB. Maxell, IIRC.

that sounds like a compact flash microdrive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microdrive

Long gone into wherever things go that you can't find when you want
them. :-)

i keep a lot of stuff there
Old March 13th 21, 09:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Frank Slootweg

micky wrote:
Why is this so small?

Alternatively, why aren't they all so small?
Less than 4" x 1 1/4" x 1/3".

Is it a real HDD, a spinner, with a rotating platter? It calls it a
harddrive more than once, and never uses SSD, etc. but it's so small.

https://www.amazon.com/External-Hard...9&sr=1-11&th=1

What about that it has no brand name? Would you buy it for a backup
drive?

For file backup, is a real 2.5" external drive better for backup?
external 2.5" HDD, SSD, 3.5" HDD in a dock

No offense, but why even consider stuff from weird merchants which
peddle their stuff via Amazon!?

Don't you have *reputable* webshops in the US?

Have you even seen the 'name' of the merchant?

'qingyuanshiyongxinxiecaibaozhuangyouxiangongsi'? Give me a break!
(At least that's what it says when using your URL from The Netherlands.)

It doesn't matter how 'cheap' it is, I would never trust my data to
fishy no-name stuff like that, especially not from a fishy merchant.