Weird Overclock issue.

Old April 28th 07, 11:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Eric Parker

Default Weird Overclock issue.

I've just put together

Asus M2N8-VMX socket AM2
AMD Athlon X2 3600 AM2
2 x 512M PC6400 Elixir DDR2 800 SDRAM
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PRO PWM
600W PSU

I've managed to get it happy running 2 instances of Prime95 with
the clock @ 250 MHz, giving CPU clock of 2375 MHz.
The CPU temperature is staying in the low 40's centigrade.
I had to set the RAM to 667 in the Bios to achieve that speed.

The only issue I have is that when I restart the system it will
sometimes give a BIOS overclocking failure as it restarts.
This failure is intermittent and occurs with the clock as low as
218 MHz. It also fails with the multiplier @9 & 220 MHz.

Voltages/AsusProbe/Bios
3.3/3.31/3.31
5/5.00/4.99
12/12.93/12.86

Any clues about how to get it to restart reliably with a better
overclock than 218 MHz ?

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old April 28th 07, 06:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Wes Newell

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:44:23 +0100, Eric Parker wrote:

Any clues about how to get it to restart reliably with a better
overclock than 218 MHz ?

You didn't mention HT speed. if you are going to clock it at 250MHz, you
should lower the base Ht speed to 4x from 5x. That may be the problem.

Old April 28th 07, 09:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Eric Parker

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:44:23 +0100, Eric Parker wrote:

Any clues about how to get it to restart reliably with a better
overclock than 218 MHz ?

You didn't mention HT speed. if you are going to clock it at 250MHz,
you
should lower the base Ht speed to 4x from 5x. That may be the problem.

Hi Wes

Yes I forgot to mention it.
I changed the "MCP61(SB) to K8(CPU) Frequency" from 1000 to 800.
I assume that was the HT speed.
It did seem a little strange at the time, the options were 1000, 800,
400, 200.
No 600.

Eric

--