Bioware Probs/Nvidia6800/84.21 Forceware drivers

Old June 24th 06, 04:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Bioware Probs/Nvidia6800/84.21 Forceware drivers

I recently updated Neverwinter Nights, SOU, HotU to ver1.67. Prior to that,
I had purchased a GeForce6800 and installed 84.21 Forceware drivers
specifically to use for Oblivion.

I used the automatic update feature in NWN to do the update and installed
it. Got the game screen, selected play and system rebooted with Windows
telling me it had recoevered from a serious error. I then restored NWN to
its pre-update status from a backup; got the crtical update for HotU and
installed with the same result..reboots and the recovery from serious error
message. I disabled A/V, Spysweeper and all those other things running in
the background with the same result. I disabled opening movie sequences in
the .ini file, but no joy.

So now I'm thinking that perhaps I should try another Bioware/Atari game to
see what happens, so I try BGII. Same rebooting behavior and same message.
So, it's either the card or the drivers. I asked whether or not anyone at
the NWN forum was using a 6800, but haven't gotten answer.

I always enjoyed the Bioware games and never had any problems with them
ever, until now. I haven't tried KOTOR or PST yet.

My question is this...are there drivers that will run both the Bioware games
and Oblivion w/o causing me major headaches. I presume it is a driver issue
and not the videocard.

I have WinXPSP2, P 2.2, 1GB ram; SBAudigy, DX9.0c, xfx geForce6800 with
84.21 forceware drivers. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to assist.

Diane

Old June 24th 06, 09:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Diane M. wrote:

[...]

Upgrade your drivers from nVIDIA, new ones came out yesterday or the
day before.

If upgrading doesn't work, poke around in the ini files until you find
the option to run it not fullscreen. See what that does.

And there's always dxdiag and turning various acceleration off, to see
what happens.

And, ironically, NWN is currently the only game *working* on my 6600
GT. And, yes, it works fine, although note I'm just assuming that 6600
GT is less powerful than a 6800. Who knows, they name these things
crazy. But NWN doesn't have demanding video card requirements at all.

--
My email address needs to have the left-hand side replaced with my
first name