Removing Windows Vista boot menu (boot earlier version of windows)

Old June 20th 06, 08:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Default Removing Windows Vista boot menu (boot earlier version of windows)

OK, I've installed Vista a couple of times (Beta 2), and ended up with a
customized boot menu (courtesy of Microsoft), that stays put even after the
hard drive that Vista was installed on is formatted. This happens when you
do a custom install on a computer that is already running Windows XP. When
you boot the computer after formatting the Vista partition, it defaults to
Vista (not very helpful, as Vista is GONE), or if you press the down key
fast enough you can boot an "earlier version of windows" (in my case,
windows xp)

Got tired of hitting the power button, grabbing coffee and coming back to
the computer to see the error message on the monitor. (because I wasn't
there to tell it to boot the "earlier" version of windows)

Did the google thing, but nobody seemed to have the right answer (that I
could find), though a few were close. So here is the proper procedure,
spelled out in no uncertain terms.

NOTE: You shouldn't have any problems with this procedure, if you follow
directions well. HOWEVER, I am telling you (not suggesting it, TELLING YOU)
to back up all data files from your hard drive to external storage, such as
DVD or CDR media or a USB memory stick, before you begin this procedure.
The chances of your C: drive not booting after this procedure are greater
than zero, so be prepared for disaster, in case you are extremely unlucky.

Boot your "earlier" version of Windows (ie, windows XP)

Fire up Windows Explorer. Set it to display all hidden and system
files/folders.

Do the following in this exact order:
Go to C:\ and find bootsect.bak. Rename it (like bootsect.vis), or just
delete it.
While still exploring C:\, find boot.ini and rename it to boot.vis
While still exploring C:\, find Boot.bak and rename it to boot.ini
While still exploring C:\, find folder C:\boot and DELETE that entire folder
Reboot

Now you should see JUST windows XP starting up, with no boot menu
howing. -Dave

Old June 20th 06, 09:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

You could also use VistaBootPRO to delete the Vista bootloader
http://www.vistabootpro.org
----------
Mark Dietz
PROnetworks http://www.pro-networks.org

Old June 21st 06, 01:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote in message
I strongly second Mark's suggestion. It uses a GUI which makes it simple
for me.

NOW you tell me. -Dave

Old June 21st 06, 02:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

"Mark Dietz" wrote in message
You could also use VistaBootPRO to delete the Vista bootloader
http://www.vistabootpro.org

Damn.......could have used that a while back. I have a very nasty install of
Vista B2 and need to remove and reinstall after some programs screwed it up
badly. One little bit of advise...If a program does not install on Vista the
first time and you get a message to "Install with correct settings" (or
something to that effect) DON'T do it.........:-) Thanks for the heads up on
vistabootpro, good program for those of us messing with the beta.

Ed