Gigabyte Support

Old November 29th 04, 03:17 AM
Tim

The unfortunate truth about email support is that it has been shot down by
spammers & drips. The fact that a Taiwanese company can provide any English
support at all is remarkable. You will find if you have a legitimate problem
that is well defined by you and you have exhausted usual support options
they will be prompt and helpful - usually.

Personally, I have found GB bring out too many products that are too similar
and drop support for older products that are still current for consumers (EG
the 8KNXP family of mobos) - and then fail to provide adequate updates for
bios (EG ITE firmware upgrades), drivers, etc. If you buy GB, that is what
you need to be prepared for & that is why they are cheaper than some
others - often first to market, first to revise a design, first to drop a
product when compared to more expensive options. This is where experience
comes in - know what you are buying. Other manufacturers are lower cost &
produce down right crud all the time. At least the GB stuff goes.

This news group is good - if you seek help you will get it.
The manual is as complete as it needs to be.
Experience? It is a learning curve - there is always more to learn. If you
decide to do this yourself you are implicility accepting responsibility for
this side of the support curve.
Supplier? As above - down to experience. I only buy stuff off *suppliers*
that I am satisfied can provide warrantee and technical support correctly.
EG disc drives fail. If one fails under warrantee then I require to be able
to get a replacement promptly.

If you suffer a problem with a product and the supplier can't help, then
then I suggest you take the product back and ask for a refund. In AU there
is legislation that protects the consumer from suppliers / products that
don't work. Use it.

It is wise for a small business / user to expect nothing of the mobo
manufacturer support systems. Why? I'll let you figure that one out.

- Tim

"SteveK" wrote in message
"Tim" wrote in message
Hi,

You should remove your email address and use a munged one otherwise you
will get spammed.
Supposed to be 39c in Sydney today...

On the topic, I never expect anything from the mobo manufacturers support
- I view it as an appeasement for the consumer as you do not buy the
product off them directly and it would raise the cost of support at their
end enormously to support the required human languages. I look to the
manual, experience, the news groups and my local supplier...

Required languages? - English as foreign lingo is enough for most
countries.
It's a matter of accepting responsibility for a product - when u look at
the:

1) Manual? - is mostly useless except for jumper settings/connectors..
2) experience? - won't help much if u are new to a specific mobo or
product.
3) NG? - can help sometimes but since there are so many models on the
market u must be lucky to meet the right guy if your question is not of
general nature.
4) local supplier? - not many around who know their business let alone
hardware without manufacturer support.

At least every manufacturer should provide a forum with knowledgeable
people answering product specific questions. Gigabyte is plain "stealing"
away from their public responsibility

Old November 29th 04, 03:43 AM
SteveK

"Tim" wrote in message

It is wise for a small business / user to expect nothing of the mobo
manufacturer support systems. Why? I'll let you figure that one out.

- Tim

I know, I know!..coz there is nothing to expect from GB - got that!

;-)

Old November 29th 04, 04:37 PM
Joe

My question was answered in a couple of days. (as part of a reply to two
people)

Joe

"hbsimon" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

What is the general experience with Gigabyte's Support answering questions
posted on their web site.
I posted a question 3 weeks ago about the high VCore voltage on my 7N400
PRO2
(Rev2) Motherboard, but the mail hasn't been checked after 3 weeks. Is
there
support this slow?
I am getting concerened with the VCORE Voltage shown in EasyTune, MBM5 and
Sandra, all show a VCore Voltage of 1.9V, where the AMD specs indicate a
nominal voltage of 1.65V, for the AMD 3200+ XP processor.

Regards,
Horst

Old November 29th 04, 09:20 PM
Moritz Kuerten