How to install WinXP on a SATA Drive.

Old January 12th 04, 01:08 PM
Striker

Default How to install WinXP on a SATA Drive.

I am building a new computer with a Gigabyte 8KNXP board. Could someone help
me
out with installing XP? I have a 120 Gig Western digital SATA drive. Is it
best to use the Sil3112 controller or the ICH5R? Should I use RAID or base
SATA?
Which connectors should I use for my DVD burner and my CDROM? I also have an
IDE Zip drive. What connector should I use for that? Any BIOS settings I
should be aware of?
Thanks a bunch.

Old January 12th 04, 07:21 PM
Axl

I suggest you put your SATA on the ICH5R place. That way the
installation program will detect your HD right away without any
additional drivers required. Appart from that I don't think it really
matters. The BIOS setting should be on BASE, since I assume you only
have one SATA HD:

Just beware of the Windows installation program if put on the Sil3112.
If you have an extra HD on an IDE channel, Windows will actually
install the boot files on that HD and leave all the other files on the
SATA drive you have chosen. So Windows can really be on F:\WINNT (SATA
HD) and the boot files on C: (IDE HD). Quite stupid but that's how
Windows installation works. If you want to install entirely on the
SATA you must deactivate the IDE channel where your HD is.

The CD-ROMS and such can be on the IDE channels 1 and 2.

Old January 12th 04, 11:32 PM
Ruel Smith (Big Daddy)

on Mon January 12 2004 8:08 am, Striker decided to enlighten us with:

I am building a new computer with a Gigabyte 8KNXP board. Could someone
help me
out with installing XP? I have a 120 Gig Western digital SATA drive. Is
it best to use the Sil3112 controller or the ICH5R? Should I use RAID or
base SATA?
Which connectors should I use for my DVD burner and my CDROM? I also have
an IDE Zip drive. What connector should I use for that? Any BIOS settings
I should be aware of?
Thanks a bunch.

Many people have had problems with the Sil3112 controller. ICH5R is really
solid.

ATA100 connectors:

DVD - Primary Master
CD - Primary Slave
Zip - Secondary Master

Turn off your optional SATA controller if you don't plan to use it.

--
Big Daddy Ruel Smith

My SuSE Linux machine uptime:
6:27pm up 36 days 3:13, 2 users, load average: 0.44, 0.26, 0.24

My Windows XP machine uptime:
Something less...

Old January 13th 04, 12:04 AM
Striker

Can I also add a regular IDE HDD to the green GigaRaid connector? I don't
suppose I could put the zip drive on one of those, too? This whole BIOS
settings part really confuses me.

om...

Old January 13th 04, 12:29 PM
Striker

"Ruel Smith (Big Daddy)" wrote in message
[...]

Which one is that in the BIOS?

SATA RAID Function [Disabled]
or
Onboard H/W SATA [Disabled]

Thanks a bunch,

Old January 13th 04, 01:15 PM
Axl

Yes you can. At least on the Promise controller on my 8INXP it works
fine just as long it's not high bandwidth devices such as hard drives
and such. If you do you can get clicks in the sound output due to some
bus collision. I don't know how it is on the GigaRAID. I have put low
bandwidth devices on the Promise controller such as an old CD-ROM and
ZIP drive, then you can avoid the clicks. All of them uses some form
of PIO instead of DMA transfer. The high bandwidth devices such as
fast CD-ROMS on ATA33 and hard drives is on my ICH4.

I think I need a second opinion if it is the same on the GigaRAID but
I've heard that it doesn't support ATAPI devices so you have to put
the HD on the GigaRAID leaving the ATAPI devies on the ICH5R. Make
sure it set on normal ATA operation and not RAID.

"Striker" wrote in message . ..
Can I also add a regular IDE HDD to the green GigaRaid connector? I don't
suppose I could put the zip drive on one of those, too? This whole BIOS
settings part really confuses me.

om...

Old January 15th 04, 09:11 AM
Striker

Well I got the board in the case and I'm trying to get my computer to find
the SATA drive I have in the Serial ATA0 Connector controlled by ICH5R.
I have my DVD burner on Primary Master, CDROM on Primary Slave, and a Zip
Drive on Sec. Master. Am I suppose to have the boot device set at SCSI? If
so, I don't even have SCSI in there as an option. In Advanced BIOS options-
Hard disk Boot Priority- My ATA Hard disk isn't even in there. All that is
in there is the zip drive. Would someone tell me what all
these settings should be on? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks,

Old January 15th 04, 03:39 PM
Kilgore Trout Jr

You need to go to the "Integrated Peripherals" screen and set:
On - Chip SATA [ Manual]
SATA Port0 configure as [SATA Port0]
SATA RAID function [Enabled]

I think you'll find that you won't be able to boot from your HD without
enabling RAID, even though you only have one drive.

Onboard H/W SATA [Disabled]
Onboard H/W Gigaraid [Disabled]

Now go to the Advanced BIOS Features screen and set:

SCSI/RAID Boot Cntlr Boot Order to Intel RAID Controller. You should find
that this is the only option.
If you had enabled the H/W controllers mentioned above, you would find them
listed here as well.

First Boot Device [SCSI]
Second Boot Device [CD-ROM]
You may find that you have to re-boot after enabling the SATA controller
before these options appear on the Advanced BIOS Features screen.

Please note that some BIOS options remain hidden until you press Ctrl-F1
while viewing the main menu. You won't need to do that to change the
settings mentioned above.

When you load XP you will need to load the driver for the ICH5R controller.
Windows will ask you to press F6 if you need to load any SCSI drivers. Watch
carefully for this during the initial portion of the installation routine.
Later on in the installation, Windows will ask for the floppy with the
drivers. Without the drivers, the installation will fail when it tries to
reboot. You need to make your own floppy disk since Gigabyte doesn't include
them with the board. The drivers are on the utility CD included with the
board but you must transfer them to a floppy so you can load them. You can
also go to Intel.com and download a file that creates the necessary
installation disk with the latest version of the driver. When you finally
get XP up and running, use the Gigabyte CD to load the remaining drivers and
the IAA. (Intel Application Accelerator.)

Old January 15th 04, 04:12 PM
Peter Bungart

Mr. Trout has it nailed, although I didn't need On-chip SATA RAID function
enabled. I would also suggest, for the sake of simplicity, only hooking up
either the dvd or cdrom drive until you get your OS installed & working
correctly (not both, & skip the zip for now, too). I'm not sure about this,
but having the cdrom/dvd on the primary ide may cause issues too. If so, put
it on the secondary controller. I leave my ide controller empty, but since
you have 3 removable drives, one of them will have to eventually go either
on ide1 or on the ide 3 or 4 on the bottom of the mobo. I remember having
headaches with putting devices on ide 1, as the boot sequence & windows
seemed to naturally want to access it first. Maybe I could have done it
smarter, but I know I went through several variations before success. Bottom
line, your best bet is to simplify things by connecting the minimum number
of devices during initial install, then adding them one by one so that if
something goes awry you'll have a better idea of where the problem lies. As
for me, I throw everything in all at once & then spend 2 days trying to
figure out why it won't work.....

ink.net...

Old January 15th 04, 04:21 PM
Striker

"Kilgore Trout Jr" wrote in message
ink.net...
You need to go to the "Integrated Peripherals" screen and set:
On - Chip SATA [ Manual]
SATA Port0 configure as [SATA Port0]
SATA RAID function [Enabled]

OK, Did this

I think you'll find that you won't be able to boot from your HD without
enabling RAID, even though you only have one drive.

Onboard H/W SATA [Disabled]
Onboard H/W Gigaraid [Disabled]

Did this also

Now go to the Advanced BIOS Features screen and set:

SCSI/RAID Boot Cntlr Boot Order to Intel RAID Controller. You should find
that this is the only option.
If you had enabled the H/W controllers mentioned above, you would find

them
listed here as well.

This what has me ready to pull my hair out. The only thing listed here is:
1. SCSI-0 : WDC WD1200JD- 00GGB0
2. Ch0 M. : IOMEGA ZIP 720
3. Bootable add-in Cards

That is all that is in there

First Boot Device [SCSI]
Second Boot Device [CD-ROM]

There is no option in here for [SCSI}
There are 10 other options but no [SCSI]
I don't get it.

You may find that you have to re-boot after enabling the SATA controller
before these options appear on the Advanced BIOS Features screen.

I did this too.

Please note that some BIOS options remain hidden until you press Ctrl-F1
while viewing the main menu. You won't need to do that to change the
settings mentioned above.

Tried this too, didn't make any difference.
What version BIOS do you have? I have the newest version FG
Maybe I should go back to a older version. What do you think?

I really appreciate all your help