965P-DQ6 + 7950GT will not allow me to change FSB settings.

Old April 28th 07, 11:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Roger Hamlett

Default 965P-DQ6 + 7950GT will not allow me to change FSB settings.

"Wade" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 28, 6:16 pm, "Wade" wrote:
Hi, I have a very strange problem. My setup is an E4300, GA-965P-DQ6,
Leadtek PX7950GT 512, 2Gb of Corsair XMS2 ram (800/6400 and 5-5-5-12
timings) with a 500W PSU. If I alter the FSB or PCI-E speed at all,
even if I do not change it from default (200 and 100 respectively),
when I save the changes and reboot the computer does a reboot cycle
and resets both of those settings back to default (managed by bios). I
can lower the multiplier to 6x and I can still not even set the FSB to
it's own default without it being reset. I have tried clearing the
CMOS, and it didn't help. Some other people have had issues with
getting a high overclock without increasing voltages, but understand
that I can not even manually set the default settings without it
resetting. I have run Orthos blend and small FFT both overnight
without issues, and I can use CIA2 to get to 2200 or so and it is
stable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did *try* to talk to Gigabyte
about this through their global support interface, but the response I
got back was basically "I don't know", but in 500 words which try to
blame my ram. Given that I can't set _default_ speeds I think it's
clearly a BIOS bug, and I am running the F9 BIOS which is the latest
and only one on their site. It is rev 3.3, if that matters.

I have solved this issue - replacing the Leadtek 7950GT with a
Powercolor X1950 Pro fixed it completely. Running at a modest 2.6ghz
now. Wont be buying any Gigabyte mobos again.

How is the video card, a motherboard problem?....
The DQ6, is about as good as it gets at the moment. I doubt if you will
find any other board of a similar spec, with fewer problems...

Best Wishes

Old May 1st 07, 03:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Wade

On Apr 28, 6:37 pm, "Roger Hamlett"
wrote:
"Wade" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 28, 6:16 pm, "Wade" wrote:
[...]

There is nothing wrong with the 7950GT. It is a compatibility issue
with the motherboard. Video cards are not made with motherboards in
mind, it's the other way around.
This person has the same problem with a DS3P:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=139288

Again, the 7950GT has absolutely no issues in another computer.

Old May 1st 07, 04:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Roger Hamlett

"Wade" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 28, 6:37 pm, "Roger Hamlett"
wrote:
"Wade" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 28, 6:16 pm, "Wade" wrote:
[...]

Compatibility is a two way street.
The reason I suspect that at least part of the problem may be the video
card, is that there have been a _lot_ of problems with Leadtek cards in
other boards as well. Try looking at the Tyan groups for example. Now I
have four DQ6's, running with Asus 7950GT cards, with no problems, and a
couple running with their 8800GTX's, again without a problem....
I threw away the last Leadtek card I bought, after it would not work in
three motherboards (one Asus, one Gigabyte, and one from MSI).

Best Wishes

Old May 2nd 07, 01:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Wade

On May 1, 11:36 pm, "Roger Hamlett"
wrote:
"Wade" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Apr 28, 6:37 pm, "Roger Hamlett"
wrote:
"Wade" wrote in message

groups.com...

On Mar 28, 6:16 pm, "Wade" wrote:
[...]

Like I stated (twice?), the card works fine in other computers.

Old May 2nd 07, 09:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Roger Hamlett

"Wade" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 1, 11:36 pm, "Roger Hamlett"

[...]