Does Tom's hardware apply the heatsink paste material correctly ???

Old July 11th 05, 06:36 PM
John Lewis

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:26:51 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

Hopefully you live in a cool climate. You will have an expensive
foot-warmer under your desk.

John Lewis

Lol, I find this heat argument funny.

My parents have a AMD 2600+ XP processor and a RADEON 9000 card. In a medium
tower in a small room.

After a few hours the room gets damn hot.

So this heat argument is irrelevant. All processors and graphics cards
produce enough heat to warm up any room

Bye,
Skybuck.

Imagine the difference between a Pentium-D/E840 and an equivalent
performance X2 system being a 75 - 100 watt light-bulb INSIDE the
computer, and its effect on the cooling requirements to keep the rest
of the circuitry happy and long-term RELIABLE -- especially any
electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard, whatever about
the GPU reliability and potential throttling of the CPU.

John Lewis

Old July 11th 05, 07:25 PM
Ed Light

"John Lewis" wrote

Imagine the difference between a Pentium-D/E840 and an equivalent
performance X2 system being a 75 - 100 watt light-bulb INSIDE the
computer, and its effect on the cooling requirements to keep the rest
of the circuitry happy and long-term RELIABLE -- especially any
electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard, whatever about
the GPU reliability and potential throttling of the CPU.

So the reason why I duct my fanless heatsink (took off the fan) to the case
fan with aluminum tape.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old July 11th 05, 08:50 PM
Moritz Kürten

Lol, I find this heat argument funny.

My parents have a AMD 2600+ XP processor and a RADEON 9000 card. In a medium
tower in a small room.

After a few hours the room gets damn hot.

So this heat argument is irrelevant. All processors and graphics cards
produce enough heat to warm up any room

We don't speek about the damn old Athlon XP processor, but about the
modern Athlon 64 and Pentium D.

And there is a big difference between them.

Moritz
Old July 12th 05, 07:00 PM
Skybuck Flying

"Roger Hamlett" wrote in message

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
P.S.:

The last part of the video says it all:

Pentium 840 EE faster for multiple applications.

Right now I have 14 applications open and this is only a light load:

1 Msn messenger and 1 MSN chat window
1 Acrobat reader
3 Windows explorers
1 Textpad
3 Internet Explorers
1 Winzip
1 Media Player
1 Microsoft outlook express
1 Microsoft Anti Spy ware (had to do a scan)
1 Zone Alarm Pro firewall

I am not even developing software... no development environments open, I
am
not even downloading with internet explorer or bittorrent.

I am not even playing music.

So who the **** cares if AMD **** is faster for a single application.

Actually, you are probably only running one application...
This is a common thing with MS, that you have a lot of applications
loaded, but only the one with the 'context' (active at the front of the
screen), is actually doing anything.
Windows for many people, is a 'task switching' OS, rather than a
'multi-tasking' OS. Having a lot of applications 'running', requires you
to be using applications that carry on performing jobs, while you are not
looking at them.

Again take a look at the list above and tell me which application you think
are running at the same time.

Besides from that I know pretty sure that multi threaded software will
benefit greatly from multi core processors since now software can be
pipelined via multiple threads... very cool stuff.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old September 18th 05, 11:01 PM
Slef

Moritz Kürten wrote:
Lol, I find this heat argument funny.

My parents have a AMD 2600+ XP processor and a RADEON 9000 card. In a medium
tower in a small room.

After a few hours the room gets damn hot.

So this heat argument is irrelevant. All processors and graphics cards
produce enough heat to warm up any room

We don't speek about the damn old Athlon XP processor, but about the
modern Athlon 64 and Pentium D.

And there is a big difference between them.

Moritz

Funny the use of "we" as the majority of peeps do talk about the damm
old athlon xp processors !! (and many other chips that do not cost
hundreds of pounds!! ;-)