SDRAM versus DDR

Old April 9th 04, 05:32 AM
neopolaris

"kony" wrote in message
On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 11:34:47 +0100, Piotr Makley wrote:

Dumdedo wrote:

I have got 768 MB of SDRAM (133 MHz) on my system.

If I go to a DDR mobo then how much 3200 DDR-400 would I
need to get to roughly match the performance of the SDRAM?

But you need 2 DDR Rams to get Dual Channel Memory, I would
not get a MoBo that did not support Dual Channel DDR 400
Memory

I read somewhere that the performance improvement (for non gamers)
of dual DDR was very small indeed. Is that misleading?

It's not much even for gamers. Typically less than 10%. unless it's also
serving as the frame buffer for integrated video.

This guy just nailed it. Plain and simple, dual-channel is best suited with
onboard graphics. We all know onboard graphics can't compete.

Old April 11th 04, 07:31 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

for dual, yes. you need 2.

"JJ" wrote in message
Dumdedo wrote:

No its not, the Memory bench mark I get is some 80% faster..

Have you got a link to this please.

Also it been posted that it far wiser to get 2 sticka, as if
one fails you can still use the other.

I thought you *had* to have two sticks in order to implement dual
channel memory. Is this not so?

Old April 11th 04, 07:33 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

"Roland Scheidegger" wrote in message
NuT CrAcKeR wrote:
dual channel is marketing hype...

Not enought real benefit. To my mind, it would have to be at least 20%
performance increace for me to justify the need to buy 2 sticks. I

havent
read anything that suggest that anything more that just over 10% can be

had.

You can view that differently: if you get a P4 3.4Ghz this will be 6%
faster at maximum than a P4 3.2Ghz, yet people buy that even if it costs
150USD or so more (not me, of course ;-)). Dual channel memory which
likely offers a higher performance increase overall is thus a bargain,
as 2 256MB modules hardly cost more than 1 512MB module (not to mention
if you want 1GB, you'd need 2 modules anyway unless you want to buy the
really expensive 1GB modules).
I'd agree though dual channel memory is a waste on Athlon XP systems,
the performance increase is pretty much non-existant (except synthetic
measurements below 2% or so), unless you use the integrated graphics on
a board.

Roland

yeah, something like that. But when overclocking, most will say you should
use 1 stick if you can.