8KNXP Unstable

Old February 11th 04, 02:26 PM
Boot Meyers

Your 350 Watt is grossly underpowered. With that many devices, you should be
running 480 Watts or more. I have the roughly the same gear as you and all
my instability went away with an upgrade of my power supply.

"Colin J Paterson" wrote in message
Didn't actually think about the termination issue. I did change the
configuration of the SCSI chain when I reinstalled my system but I am
certain the chain is terminated correctly at both ends. The funny thing is

can run the SCSI CD Writer and the SCSI DVD Rom on their own without a
single problem but the system crashes every time I run 2 units together.
From this I imagine it is drawing too much power on spin up of the CD

unit.
From what I understand with the number of units I have in the system and a
3GHz chip my 350W PSU doesn't have enough juice to power everything in the
system at maximum load.

"Tim" wrote in message

Colin,

The SCSI cards I had trouble with were the 2940's (not U or UW). I

thought
the U and UW addressed the problem.
Is your SCSI bus terminated correctly?

IE if you have no externally connected devices, then termination should

be
on on the card so long as the card is at one end of the SCSI cable, and
termination should be on on the very last physically attached device.

As for the flashing, dunno. Could be virus, spyware, graphics driver,

bios.

- Tim

"Colin J Paterson" wrote in message
The SCSI card is an Adaptec 2940UW an old one.

I managed to get the problem pretty reproducable. If I try to read 2

cds
at
one. One in the SCSI CD Writer and the other in the IDE CDRom then I

get
the
crash. Apart from that I ran it through about 10 games and various
benchmarks last night and it only ever fell over with 2 CD Roms being
accessed at once. This does seem to me to be the PSU so I'm going to

strip
back to one CD Rom and take out the SCSI card and see how it goes.

The system seems to be very sensitive to reordering the start menu, I

get
black flashes sometimes and icons jumping to the desktop among other

things
but I think this is something else unrelated.

"Tim" wrote in message

Colin,

Take a look at this:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?e...&source=system

and this (hot totally related, but tends to indicate hardware).

Faulty memory can cause *all* types of fault, but memtest86

indicates
it
seems ok?

A 350 Watt PUS with all that stuff may not be enough. Try removing

say
all
SCSI devices and other optional stuff.
You don't say what type of adaptec SCSI it is. Some were extremely
sensitive
to PCI bus speed.

If that fails try a general h/w fault diagnosis approach: strip to
"minimum
XP" and test.

If thats OK, then progressively add h.w back in until the fault

reappears.

- Tim

"Colin J. Paterson" wrote in message
The event log has the following error for each time the system

crashed

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 07/02/2004
Time: 02:32:18
User: N/A
Computer: MONOLITH
Error code 00000050, parameter1 e32786c8, parameter2 00000000,
parameter3
8056db58, parameter4 00000002.

Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 35 0000005
0020: 30 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d 0 Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 65 33 eters e3
0030: 32 37 38 36 63 38 2c 20 2786c8,
0038: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 00000000
0040: 2c 20 38 30 35 36 64 62 , 8056db
0048: 35 38 2c 20 30 30 30 30 58, 0000
0050: 30 30 30 32 0002

Any ideas?

"mark7" wrote in message
Is there any problem indicated in your Event Log? Check it

he

To Check Event Logs - Right-click My Computer Manage Event

Viewer

System
and Application. Record the specifics of any red-flagged error
messages.

"Colin J. Paterson" wrote in message
I am getting random reboots on my 8KNXP (rev 2) board. I am

also
getting
very strange effect where Windows XP looks to have hanged for

about
5
seconds then the screen flashes black for a second and

everything
returns to
normal. I have a 350W Enermax power supply and I have a

suspicion
that
this
might be the cause of the trouble as I'm unsure if this has

enough
power. I
think this as the system seems to reboot when I access the

CD-Rom
but
on
another occassion it reset when I was re-arranging the start

menu.
have
the following system

Gigabyte 8KNXP (Revision 2)
1GB Corsair TwinX memory 3200C2 running at 400MHz (Timings
2.5,3,3,6)
Zalman 7000A full copper heatsink
nVidia 5200 GeForceFX - 128MB
2 x Maxtor 80GB SATA Drives (Raid 0 through Intel SATA raid
controller)
1 x IBM 40GB UATA100 Drive (Through 100ATA Controller)
1 x 48x IDE CDRom (Through 100ATA Controller)
1 x SCSI DVD Rom
1 x SCSI CD Writer
PCI Cards - USB 2.0 Card, Adaptec SCSI Card, Internal Modem
Windows XP (Not SP1 getting it tomorrow)

Does anyone know if this PSU is poweful enough for this

system?
The
crashes
are always reboots and have never happened when playing 3D

games.
have
run
MemTest86 for 4 hours with these memory timings with not a

single
error.

Thanks for any help

Colin

Old February 12th 04, 04:24 AM
MaXiLeeCH

About 99% of the time, random reboots are caused by either bad or
incompatible memory.
As you are using Corsair RAM, its probably the latter.
Corsair RAM in any variation and Gigabyte motherboards have never really
worked together. (Due mainly to Corsair going outside the the standard
published specs more than most other memory manucfacturers I believe).

It has gotten to the stage now, where if I have a customer drop off a
machine that has reboot problems and stuff like that and its using Corsair
RAM, I change it ASAP, in 99% of all cases it fixes the problem!

Jeff C.

Colin J. Paterson wrote:
I am getting random reboots on my 8KNXP (rev 2) board. I am also getting a
very strange effect where Windows XP looks to have hanged for about 5
seconds then the screen flashes black for a second and everything returns
to normal. I have a 350W Enermax power supply and I have a suspicion that
this might be the cause of the trouble as I'm unsure if this has enough
power. I think this as the system seems to reboot when I access the
CD-Rom but on another occassion it reset when I was re-arranging the
start menu. I have the following system

Gigabyte 8KNXP (Revision 2)
1GB Corsair TwinX memory 3200C2 running at 400MHz (Timings 2.5,3,3,6)
Zalman 7000A full copper heatsink
nVidia 5200 GeForceFX - 128MB
2 x Maxtor 80GB SATA Drives (Raid 0 through Intel SATA raid controller)
1 x IBM 40GB UATA100 Drive (Through 100ATA Controller)
1 x 48x IDE CDRom (Through 100ATA Controller)
1 x SCSI DVD Rom
1 x SCSI CD Writer
PCI Cards - USB 2.0 Card, Adaptec SCSI Card, Internal Modem
Windows XP (Not SP1 getting it tomorrow)

Does anyone know if this PSU is poweful enough for this system? The
crashes are always reboots and have never happened when playing 3D games.
I have run MemTest86 for 4 hours with these memory timings with not a
single error.

Thanks for any help

Colin

Old February 14th 04, 04:37 AM
Bob Davis

"Colin J. Paterson" wrote in message
I am getting random reboots on my 8KNXP (rev 2) board. I am also getting a
very strange effect where Windows XP looks to have hanged for about 5
seconds then the screen flashes black for a second and everything returns

normal. I have a 350W Enermax power supply and I have a suspicion that

this
might be the cause of the trouble as I'm unsure if this has enough power.

think this as the system seems to reboot when I access the CD-Rom but on
another occassion it reset when I was re-arranging the start menu. I have
the following system

Gigabyte 8KNXP (Revision 2)
1GB Corsair TwinX memory 3200C2 running at 400MHz (Timings 2.5,3,3,6)
Zalman 7000A full copper heatsink
nVidia 5200 GeForceFX - 128MB
2 x Maxtor 80GB SATA Drives (Raid 0 through Intel SATA raid controller)
1 x IBM 40GB UATA100 Drive (Through 100ATA Controller)
1 x 48x IDE CDRom (Through 100ATA Controller)
1 x SCSI DVD Rom
1 x SCSI CD Writer
PCI Cards - USB 2.0 Card, Adaptec SCSI Card, Internal Modem
Windows XP (Not SP1 getting it tomorrow)

Does anyone know if this PSU is poweful enough for this system? The

crashes
are always reboots and have never happened when playing 3D games. I have

run
MemTest86 for 4 hours with these memory timings with not a single error.

Try running the test at this site: http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

I have less hardware installed than you and tallied 400w on this test. I'd
invest in an Antec 480w Truepower, or other premium PSU of 450W or more, and
consider it money well spent. If the problem persists, you still have a
good PSU to work with.

Motherboard: Gigabyte 8KNXP v1 (non-Ultra), f9 bios

CPU: 2.8C P4 (not OC'd) with Zalman CNPS7000-Cu HSF

2gb RAM (4 x 512mb Kingston DDR400 in dual-channel mode @ SPD, matched
pairs)

OS: WinXP Pro SP1

Keyboard: Northgate 102 Ultra (via PS2 adapter)

SATA0 (ICH5R) – WD360GD [C:]

IDE1 - Maxtor 6Y160P0 [D:]

IDE2 - Empty

IDE3 - Empty, disabled

IDE4 - Empty, disabled

AGP - Matrox G450 DH at 4x

Monitors:

-Sony E540 (21") primary

-Sony A240 (17") secondary

NIC (on board) - Connected to Linksys 4-port router

Networked computers: 3

Sound (on board): Enabled

Firewire (on board): Disabled

PCI1 - Empty

PCI2 - StarTech firewire adapter

- Lexar Compactflash reader/writer [F:]

- WD800BB 80gb on firewire adapter (normally not running) [J:]

- WD1200BB 120gb on firewire adapter (normally not running) [K:]

PCI2 - AHA-2930B SCSI adapter:

- Plextor 12/10/32TS CD-RW [H:]

- Plextor 32Plex [I:]

- HP 6250 Scanner

- Iomega Zip [E:]

PCI3 - Extra parallel adapter (LPT2)

PCI5 - Empty

LPT1 - Brother HL-645 laser printer

LPT2 - Epson LQ-850 dot-matrix printer

USB:

- Epson Photo Stylus ink-jet printer

- Wacom pen tablet

- Digital Wallet (usually not connected)

COM1 - USR Courier V-Everything external modem (for fax)

COM2 - Empty

Old February 14th 04, 11:48 PM
Colin J. Paterson

I had around 489W :-(

Going to definintely buy a new PSU as I'm amazed that this Enermax 350W PSU
is even running this system. Pit cause I paid quite a bit for it.

Thanks for the link