soldered batteries

Old May 3rd 08, 01:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
AWM

Default soldered batteries

Is it best to leave a dead soldered battery on a D1000 board ( it has ~ 1/4
inch clearance above the board) or snip it off in attempting to solder in a
coin holder?
mc

Old May 3rd 08, 03:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

On May 3, 8:24*am, "AWM" wrote:
Is it best to leave a dead soldered battery on a D1000 board ( it has ~ 1/4
inch clearance above the board) or snip it off in attempting to solder in a
coin holder?
mc

If you have the proper skills and knowledge you would know not to
snip any leads if possible when soldering.
Your question is how to de solder the battery.
I would actually need a blow up of the area where he battery lies.

If you properly heat sink the area the desolder should be easy

A lithium Ion battery that has gone to heaven presents a high
resistance therefor a battery can be placed in parallel with
the old one.

I would just solder in a on board battery pack from Radio Shack

Old May 3rd 08, 09:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
philo

"metronid" wrote in message
On May 3, 8:24 am, "AWM" wrote:
Is it best to leave a dead soldered battery on a D1000 board ( it has ~

1/4
inch clearance above the board) or snip it off in attempting to solder in

coin holder?
mc

If you have the proper skills and knowledge you would know not to
snip any leads if possible when soldering.
Your question is how to de solder the battery.
I would actually need a blow up of the area where he battery lies.

If you properly heat sink the area the desolder should be easy

A lithium Ion battery that has gone to heaven presents a high
resistance therefor a battery can be placed in parallel with
the old one.

I would just solder in a on board battery pack from Radio Shack

Except I'd be worried about it leaking...
so I'd try to carefully remove it

Old May 4th 08, 01:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
AWM

I'll send you a jpg hopefully later today...I do not have a heat sink so
I'll get one, and I'm not sure yet which lead is + or -. This is one of
smaller size bateries ( smaller than a dime I think), so I'm only guessing
it is a 3V at this point.
mc

Old May 4th 08, 01:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
AWM

I had not thought about leaking, I was wondering if putting it in parallel
with the dead battery would shorten the life of the new one?
mc

Old May 4th 08, 02:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

mc"philo" wrote in message

"metronid" wrote in message
On May 3, 8:24 am, "AWM" wrote:
Is it best to leave a dead soldered battery on a D1000 board ( it has ~

1/4
inch clearance above the board) or snip it off in attempting to solder in

coin holder?
mc

If you have the proper skills and knowledge you would know not to
snip any leads *if possible when soldering.
Your question is how to de solder the battery.
I would actually need a blow up of the area where he battery lies.

If you properly heat sink the area the desolder should be easy

A lithium Ion battery that has gone to heaven presents a high
resistance therefor a battery can be placed in parallel with
the old one.

I would just solder in a on board battery pack from Radio Shack

Except I'd be worried about it leaking...
so I'd try to carefully remove it- Hide quoted text -

Parallel is an option
Leaking.
Ben would have more experience with his knowledge of seeing older
systems.
Lithium batteries are not big leakers and were chosen for their long
life
and stability to not leak for years.

You can possibly desolder the battery from the other side of the
board.
That is most likely how it was originally installed.

I assuime that the battery before board manufacture already had the
leads attached.
I could be wrong
Then the component was inserted and the drip solder process for board
production was used.

Using this method will assure you do not heat or accidentally touch an
associated component.
You can
Old May 5th 08, 03:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Kevin Childers

"AWM" wrote in message
Is it best to leave a dead soldered battery on a D1000 board ( it has ~
1/4 inch clearance above the board) or snip it off in attempting to solder
in a coin holder?
mc

One other option, if you can find one, is to simply plug in a third party
replacement CMOS batttery. This used to be the quick and easy alternative
to desoldering and resoldering the battery before boards came with their
present easily replaceable system.

Old May 5th 08, 11:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

On May 5, 10:16*am, "Kevin Childers" wrote:
"AWM" wrote in message

news:QPYSj.508$Ve.468@trnddc08... Is it best to leave a dead soldered battery on a D1000 board ( it has ~
1/4 inch clearance above the board) or snip it off in attempting to solder
in a coin holder?
mc

One other option, if you can find one, is to simply plug in a third party
replacement CMOS batttery. *This used to be the quick and easy alternative
to desoldering and resoldering the battery before boards came with their
present easily replaceable system.

To the best of my limited knowledge.
This board does not accept the onboard battery as there is no plug
for an external cmos battery.
I can not even find a manual for this board.
If anyone has the .MVB file from the master CD that would be great.
I do have a picture of the board from AWM and it also shows no such
adapter as far as my eye can tell.
I also checked google and a few other sites and it has none.

It appears to have a flat tab soldered to the top that goes to the
board
and one beneath that i can not see
I would think it was dropped in to the board than driop soldered from
other side.
Can not see the other side of board either.
It could be a bilayer board at this point but i doubt it.
PB would not put out the extra cash for this type of board.

:
:
:
Old May 5th 08, 11:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
philo

"AWM" wrote in message

[...]

I don't know what the chances af leakage are...
but I would not feel comfortable to leave it

Old May 6th 08, 01:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

On May 5, 6:56*pm, "philo" wrote:
"metronid" wrote in message

On May 5, 10:16 am, "Kevin Childers" wrote: "AWM" wrote in message

news:QPYSj.508$Ve.468@trnddc08... Is it best to leave a dead soldered

battery on a D1000 board ( it has ~

1/4 inch clearance above the board) or snip it off in attempting to

solder
in a coin holder?
mc

One other option, if you can find one, is to simply plug in a third party
replacement CMOS batttery. This used to be the quick and easy alternative
to desoldering and resoldering the battery before boards came with their
present easily replaceable system.

*To the best of my limited knowledge.
*This board does not accept the onboard battery as there is no plug
for an external cmos battery.
*I can not even find a manual for this board.
*If anyone has the *.MVB file from the master CD *that would be great.

CPU socketed or soldered in Toshica Tecra M9? Eric Smith Intel 0 July 28th 07 08:30 AM
mix new and old batteries? Jerry Dell Computers 2 November 11th 06 06:18 AM
Cost Reduction From Soldered-on CPUs? tony General 14 March 27th 06 06:36 PM
UPS batteries Michael C General 6 November 9th 05 10:17 AM
UPS batteries... Jess Fertudei Homebuilt PC's 12 January 29th 05 04:45 AM