BIOS Update Failure

Old March 22nd 07, 03:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert

Default BIOS Update Failure

Just tried to updated the BIOS on my Dell C521 and received a message that
the flash failed.

Now when I try to boot the machine all I get is a yellow power button
(should be green) and a loud fan. Nothing appears on the screen and no beep
codes.

Is there a way to recover from the failure? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

- Robert

Old March 22nd 07, 06:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

there is a warning on dell's site about flashing a 521 with a microsoft
lifecam attached...
http://support.dell.com/support/topi... us&l=en&s=gen
and there another thread about a bad or mislabled flash utility that can
kill the motherboard... read this entire thread...
http://www.dellcommunity.com/support... en&cs=&s=gen
then talk to dell and see if they will help you.

Old March 22nd 07, 06:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Mar 21, 8:23 pm, "Robert" wrote:
Just tried to updated the BIOS on my Dell C521 and received a message that
the flash failed.

Now when I try to boot the machine all I get is a yellow power button
(should be green) and a loud fan. Nothing appears on the screen and no beep
codes.

Is there a way to recover from the failure? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

- Robert

Is is still under warranty? If it is, then see about getting a
replacement motherboard sent.

There have been 2 reports i remember on this newsgroup about failed
updates, and both cases were resolved under warranty.

If you updated the bios with dell's tool, and used the correct bios
provided on the website, the flash should not have failed unless there
was something already wrong with the system.

Of course, if you're dabbling in bios hacking, then you're on your
own.

Anyway, the troubleshooting guide for the unit is here.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1043338

You can try resetting the cmos:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1052632

The rest of the service manual is he

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...M_EN/index.htm

Old March 22nd 07, 01:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Pacc

thlink.net...

"Robert" wrote in message
Just tried to updated the BIOS on my Dell C521 and received a message
that the flash failed.

Now when I try to boot the machine all I get is a yellow power button
(should be green) and a loud fan. Nothing appears on the screen and no
beep codes.

Is there a way to recover from the failure? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

- Robert

Same thing happen to me on a E521,so what is Microsoft LifeCam?

Old March 22nd 07, 03:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jupiter Jones

If you don't know, you probably do not have one:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/di...x?type=LifeCam
Perhaps other cameras can cause the same issue.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Old March 22nd 07, 09:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Pacc

"Robert" wrote in message
Just tried to updated the BIOS on my Dell C521 and received a message that
the flash failed.

Now when I try to boot the machine all I get is a yellow power button
(should be green) and a loud fan. Nothing appears on the screen and no
beep codes.

Is there a way to recover from the failure? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

- Robert

There Is a new bios version out date 3/20/07 1.0.0.5,but i Am afaid to try
it,I to tried upgrade to 1.0.0.4 and burned ou my mother board.

Old March 23rd 07, 02:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert

"Tony Pacc" wrote in message
"Robert" wrote in message
Just tried to updated the BIOS on my Dell C521 and received a message
that the flash failed.

Now when I try to boot the machine all I get is a yellow power button
(should be green) and a loud fan. Nothing appears on the screen and no
beep codes.

Is there a way to recover from the failure? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

- Robert

There Is a new bios version out date 3/20/07 1.0.0.5,but i Am afaid to
try it,I to tried upgrade to 1.0.0.4 and burned ou my mother board.

The 1.0.0.5 BIOS is the one that failed.

I contacted Dell today and they have agreed to send out a new system. I
have read the horror stories of dealing with their tech support but found
them to be extremely helpful myself. My new system should arrive in 4 - 5
days.

Thanks to everyone for their advise.

- Robert

Old March 23rd 07, 02:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Mar 22, 7:01 pm, "Robert" wrote:
"Tony Pacc" wrote in message

"Robert" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Well, the many people with GOOD experiences don't HAVE horror stories
that they need to get off their chest.

Old March 23rd 07, 03:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

you are getting a whole new system? or just a system board?
if they are sending an entire new system, and assuming that it is an
identical system, you may want to simply swap hard disks from the old to the
new so that you don't have to reinstall anything or loose any data.

Old March 23rd 07, 04:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
link.net...
you are getting a whole new system? or just a system board?
if they are sending an entire new system, and assuming that it is an
identical system, you may want to simply swap hard disks from the old to
the new so that you don't have to reinstall anything or loose any data.

It will be a new, identical, system.

Thanks for the advice, I had not considered a hard drive swap. Anything to
make life easier.

Update Failure--XP MZB Dell Computers 4 February 15th 06 09:40 AM
ASUS Update -> Boot disk failure Robert Wehofer Asus Motherboards 1 November 28th 04 08:26 PM
Shutdown failure after XP SP1 update, after new install, Asus K7V with 880 mhz. Diogenes Asus Motherboards 0 April 19th 04 05:52 AM
My computer cant update ESCD at startup! I can't Flash the bios update! Iorón:rote Asus Motherboards 0 January 19th 04 12:29 AM
GA-81PE1000 Bios Update Failure Dimbly Gigabyte Motherboards 1 November 15th 03 06:31 PM