Asus K8V SE DELUXE and HD WESTERN DIGITAL 2000JS SATA 2

Old December 1st 05, 02:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default Asus K8V SE DELUXE and HD WESTERN DIGITAL 2000JS SATA 2

I have Asus k8v se deluxe and i buy a Western Digital HD 2000js (200G) sata2
HD.But when i conected the power and teh sata conector the dirver doesn't
work and sata boot doesn't recognise the HD.The Bios is 1007.
Any help is apreciated.

Thanks

VP

Old December 2nd 05, 12:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

In article , VP
wrote:

I have Asus k8v se deluxe and i buy a Western Digital HD 2000js (200G) sata2
HD.But when i conected the power and teh sata conector the dirver doesn't
work and sata boot doesn't recognise the HD.The Bios is 1007.
Any help is apreciated.

Thanks

VP

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....p?p_faqid=1337

***********
Question

Why is my Second Generation Serial ATA hard drive not detected by
my First Generation Serial ATA controller or motherboard?

Answer

Second Generation Serial ATA hard drives are not detected when
connected to a VIA or SIS Serial ATA controller. These First
Generation Serial ATA controllers include the following chipsets:

VT8237 VT8237R VT6420 VT6421L SIS760 SIS964

Cause:
Our Second Generation Serial ATA hard drives use autospeed
negotiation. This enables our Second Generation Serial ATA hard
drives to automatically detect the motherboard data transfer rate,
making it backward compatible with First Generation Serial ATA data
transfer rates. However, because this technology is so new, some
older First Generation Serial ATA controllers are unable to support
autospeed negotiation and cannot recognize the drive. This ³drive not
detected² condition occurs when a chipset is incapable of correctly
negotiating the data transfer speed with a Second Generation Serial
ATA hard drive.

Resolution:
You can purchase and install a third party PCI or PCI-Express Second
Generation Serial ATA controller card for your Serial ATA hard drive(s).

To lock the drive at 150 MB/s data transfer rate, install a jumper
shunt on pins OPT1 , shown in the picture below.

If the OPT1 jumper setting does not resolve the issue, please contact
Western Digital Support for further troubleshooting.

OPT1 Enabled:
7 5 3 1
X X X X __________
^ / \
| | Molex Pwr |
v |___________|
X X X X
8 6 4 2
***********

Note - Do not "borrow" any other jumpers from the jumper block, without
understanding what they do. For example, this bizarre knowledgebase
entry, describes the "spread spectrum clocking" jumper. Basically,
it says if a jumper is present from the factory, to leave it in place.
The "spread spectrum clocking" (SSC) should have been disabled, as sent
from the factory, and that is the best setting for compatibility. Not
all controllers work properly with SSC, and I don't have a list of
ones that work or don't work. There is one PCI add-in controller used by
Macintosh users, that cannot handle SSC for example.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....p?p_faqid=1271

HTH,
Paul