HD doesn't spin

Old February 5th 04, 04:55 AM
Matt Peter

Default HD doesn't spin

Hello All,

I've got a 120 GB White Label "Diamond" hard drive with Maxtor internals.
Now, I should have been more wary about this fact, but it's past this,
because the drive crashed. The data on the drive's pretty important to
me, and I'd like to get any feedback on what can possibly be done, short
of a $1500 data recovery.

I was doing work in the case, and dropped the drive less than a foot, and
now the drive will not spin at all. I hear nothing coming from the drive,
although the circuitry on the bottom warms when the drive is connected.
I've tried putting the drive on other power sources, cables, machines, etc
to no avail. Could this possibly be related to the control board, and if
so, would replacement be a viable option?

Thanks,

Matt Peter
Old February 5th 04, 05:52 AM
Rod Speed

Matt Peter wrote in message
news
I've got a 120 GB White Label "Diamond" hard drive with Maxtor
internals. Now, I should have been more wary about this fact, but
it's past this, because the drive crashed. The data on the drive's
pretty important to me, and I'd like to get any feedback on what
can possibly be done, short of a $1500 data recovery.

I was doing work in the case, and dropped the drive
less than a foot, and now the drive will not spin at all.

I've reported you to the RSPCPPHDRFB

I hear nothing coming from the drive,

Not even quiet screams or whimpering ?

although the circuitry on the bottom warms when the drive is connected.
I've tried putting the drive on other power sources, cables, machines,
etc to no avail. Could this possibly be related to the control board,

What did the drive land on when you dropped it ?

The logic card might have got physically damaged by what it hit.

and if so, would replacement be a viable option?

Probably not.

If the logic card has been physically damaged,
it may be possible to have that repaired.

Old February 5th 04, 07:39 AM
Matt Peter

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:52:05 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

I've reported you to the RSPCPPHDRFB

You'll have to give me a little help with the acronym, although I suspect
it's nonsense

Not even quiet screams or whimpering ?

A moan of despair did escape my lips, does that count?

What did the drive land on when you dropped it ?

carpet.

Probably not.

If the logic card has been physically damaged, it may be possible to
have that repaired.

Do you have any information about disk recovery services that would do
this for a reasonable price? Obviously this isn't corporate grade
information, but the data's valuable to me.. pretty much irreplaceable.
But those are my own problems I suppose.

-Matt
Old February 5th 04, 08:27 AM
Rod Speed

Matt Peter wrote in message
news
Rod Speed wrote

I've reported you to the RSPCPPHDRFB

You'll have to give me a little help with the acronym,

Nope.

although I suspect it's nonsense

You're wrong.

Not even quiet screams or whimpering ?

A moan of despair did escape my lips, does that count?

Nope.

What did the drive land on when you dropped it ?

carpet.

Probably not.

If the logic card has been physically damaged,
it may be possible to have that repaired.

Do you have any information about disk recovery
services that would do this for a reasonable price?

Nope.

Obviously this isn't corporate grade information, but
the data's valuable to me.. pretty much irreplaceable.
But those are my own problems I suppose.

And what the RSPCPPHDRFB is about to do to you.