HP Officejet thinks ink is empty

Old December 3rd 04, 03:11 PM
Doug Kanter

Default HP Officejet thinks ink is empty

I've got an Officejet 300, probably 8 years old, if I recall. Lately, it's
deciding that the ink cartridge (#51626, now known simply as "26") is empty.
In fact, the cartridges are FAR from empty. The last couple of times, the
machine's only gone through about 100 sheets of paper before making its
announcement. Those sheets were not especially heavy in terms of black
area - just business letters. When new, I used to go through 1500 sheets or
so on one cartridge.

It may be time for a new printer, but are there any relatively easy things I
can check first?

Old December 3rd 04, 08:34 PM
Ron

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I've got an Officejet 300, probably 8 years old, if I recall. Lately, it's
deciding that the ink cartridge (#51626, now known simply as "26") is

empty.
In fact, the cartridges are FAR from empty. The last couple of times, the
machine's only gone through about 100 sheets of paper before making its
announcement. Those sheets were not especially heavy in terms of black
area - just business letters. When new, I used to go through 1500 sheets

or
so on one cartridge.

It may be time for a new printer, but are there any relatively easy things

can check first?

You should be able to reset the cartridge monitor manually. I have an
OfficeJet 4215 and found this link useful:

http://www.alotofthings.com/supportf...alternate.html

Old December 3rd 04, 09:22 PM
Doug Kanter

"Ron" wrote in message

[...]

Ooooh.....this sounds promising. If this works, you're gonna receive 512
virtual donuts and 3 cases of virtual beer. Thanks, Ron!

Old December 3rd 04, 09:46 PM
Ron

"Ron" wrote in message

[...]

Kewl, just in time for the game this Sunday.

Ron

Old December 3rd 04, 10:35 PM
Bob Headrick

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I've got an Officejet 300, probably 8 years old, if I recall. Lately, it's
deciding that the ink cartridge (#51626, now known simply as "26") is empty.
In fact, the cartridges are FAR from empty. The last couple of times, the
machine's only gone through about 100 sheets of paper before making its
announcement. Those sheets were not especially heavy in terms of black
area - just business letters. When new, I used to go through 1500 sheets or
so on one cartridge.

This machine uses a totally different out of ink detection than is used with
the #56 cartridge, so you can save the virtual boor as that method will not
work. The #26 cartridge and printer measure printhead temperature to determine
an out of ink condition. It is possible that the printer is not making proper
contact with the cartridge contacts, preventing the temperature monitor from
operating and resulting in the printer thinking the cartridge is empty. I
would start by cleaning the cartridge and printer contacts as shown at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...pu02180#N1005E

Regards,

Old December 4th 04, 01:36 AM
Doug Kanter

"Bob Headrick" wrote in message

[...]

"virtual boor"????? I've saved the link and will investigate over the
weekend, but please translate "virtual boor" into layman's terms.

Old December 4th 04, 02:14 AM
Bob Headrick

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news
"virtual boor"????? I've saved the link and will investigate over the
weekend, but please translate "virtual boor" into layman's terms.

Oops, that was some typo of "virtual beer" that somehow went awry. I am
sometimes too fast in hitting the change button in spell check.

- Bob Headrick

Old December 4th 04, 03:06 AM
Ron

[...]

Ok, well, I'll see your "hold the virtual boor" and raise you this :

" On some HP printers including the HP 700 Series of and many 800 series
printers 3 years or older you can also reset the ID system by the following
method.
Remove both black and color cartridges from your printer.
Turn your printer and an off 5 times. In between the on and off allow twenty
seconds for the machine to power down completely. When turning printer on
allow to go through normal start up so that it realizes there are no
cartridges.
Some HP printers retain the ID of the last 5 cartridges used (black and
color). When the printer cartridges are not present it removes the ID from
current list. After 5 times it has removed all of the IDs and therefore
believes the cartridges are now new. "

Hehe.

Ron

Old December 4th 04, 04:27 AM
Bob Headrick

"Ron" wrote in message ...
[snip]
" On some HP printers including the HP 700 Series of and many 800 series
printers 3 years or older you can also reset the ID system by the following
method.

[snip]

The only problem with this is that none of the HP Deskjet 700 series or 800
series printers had any form of low on ink indicators, they did not store any
cartridge ID's and the suggested method will do nothing but use up some extra
ink, as every time a new cartrdige is installed the printer will go through
some extra servicing.

The Deskjet 900 series was the first of the HP Deskjet's to have alow on ink
indicator. None of the Deskjet's will stop printing simply because the
cartridge appears empty, so there would be very little reason to bother
resetting the ink level indicators. I do not know of any of the Deskjets that
store five cartrdige ID's. Most store the current cartrdige (black, color and
photo if applicable) as well as the previous cartrdige for a total of two of
each. SOme of the single cartrdige Photosmart pritners may store three
cartrdige ID's. See:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...07521#N100D 5
for information.

The All-in-one's with Fax functionality have a somewhat different system. The
printer low on ink indicators are designed to give the user an advance warning
they they are running low on ink so that they can have a replacement cartrdige
on hand when the cartrdige actaully runs out. For a fax operating in standalone
mode it is important that the printer does not continue printing with an empty
cartrdige since an incoming fax could be lost without a record. The faxes
typically use a different method to detect out of ink, which does not involve
the cartrdige ID.

Regards,

Old December 4th 04, 07:16 PM
Doug Kanter

"Bob Headrick" wrote in message

"Ron" wrote in message

[snip]
[...]

In fact, mine gives no warning whatsoever of low ink ahead of time. It just
refuses to print. But, we're talking about a pretty old model here.