!!! Company of Heroes !!! (3.5 star rating out of 5, which is very good)

Old November 29th 06, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying

Default !!! Company of Heroes !!! (3.5 star rating out of 5, which is very good)

Hello,

Company of Heroes definetly deserves a place in Skybuck's Hall of Fame.

At first I wasn't convinced if this game deserved a place in it... The
single player was ok but not super convincing. I played that first.

However the multiplayer is simply brilliant and outstanding and really makes
the game shine and boost it to unknown heights =D

Therefore Company of Heroes will receive a 3.5 star rating. ( 3 stars for
single player, 4 stars for multiplayer (when playing with hamachi network
tool) ).

For those strangling with multiplayer here are some Allies tips (I played
mostly with allies, someday I ll play with germans too )

1. Use supression fire with infantary to surpress enemy infantary so they
cant really shoot well, then you can easily walk up to them and finish them
off with granades.
However first you will need to upgrade your barracks to those special
abilities, you will need to barracks to be able to upgrade and build
soldiers at the same time, that's pretty handy.

2. Use the smoke screen of sherman tanks to make them momentarily invincible
even against tiger tanks... however it cost 50 ammo so you need some of
it... though it works very well against
a single tiger tank or maybe even two.

3. Mines work against personal and tanks... mines good against snooping
snipers lol.. but I like jeeps too though... - though they dieing a bit
much my problem

4. Air mode is pretty handy for scouting with planes and taking down
infantary when it s really important... and one can drop supplies for badly
needed resources.. or just extra resources once in a while.. I am not sure
if partners get the bonuses as well as income... dont underestimate the
power of these planes... the information they gather can be very valuable
because than you know how to play... otherwise you might be building the
wrong stuff at the wrong time at the wrong place

5. Another favorite (defense) tactic is building tank traps... and placing
at guns a little bit farther away so enemy tanks cant see them.. works
pretty well... lot's of at guns are best against a lot of tanks.. except
watch out for german anti-air tank.. those can kill infantary real fast as
well as at guns. Wire is also very handy for protecting your base from enemy
sniper infiltration... snipers can use hide mode and sneak into your base
then enemies can use off map artillery or whatever to strike your base..
dangerous !

6. Howziters guns are usually alarming for enemy so you can expect an attack
once you start using it on it's location. Nice oppertunity to booby trap
and defend those positions... but except airstrikes as well... so might not
work.. you ll just die. They eat up lot's of resources too... so you can't
build any other more howziters... experienced players will just move out of
the way... it's a fun weapon... but maybe it's better left unused to give
points to other units to build those instead... howziter gun cant move.. -
big drawback

7. Infantary mode has a very powerfull off map artillery strike... for
example drive with jeep into enemy base and then use a strike on them...
that'll teach you em if they dont defend their base properly !
Striking panzer command's is a very target of mine.... yeah.. sometimes need
two strikes.. Also try to communicate with your partners/teammates.. ask
which mode they are... tell them your plans.. especially when you gonna
strike... because you might be able to knock out an hq together.. or at
least do massive damage to bases.. good tactic.. slows players down.

8. Repair mode is also pretty powerfull to repair tanks... combine that with
smoke if possible and you might have a pretty powerfull combination...

9. The rangers are nice too.. especially when you have lot's of em... they
can run fast.. fun to play with.

10. May favorite unit is the at gun though... it has a armor piercing mode
cost 50 ammo... but definetly worth it... place them spread out across the
map and you can hit tanks from any side... real tank killers.. I love em..
they pretty cheap... they only cost personal, no fuel, no ammo necessary to
construct them.. just a motor pool... pretty important to get those up
pretty quickly.

11. Allies also have a recycle mode to instantly recycle destroyed tanks...
I haven't really used that much.. it's pretty expensive and probably
unreliable... you never know for sure when the tank will die.

All players get the same ammount of resources from each flag.. as long as
they connected I guess or HQ up or something like but everybody has it's own
ammount/wallet to pay for stuff.. so you dont have to worry about others
spending your stuff

Now for some german tips, I have seen others use these tactics when I aged
them.

1. German tanks can drive though tank traps via Blitzkrieg special
ability... a certain "commander mode" has this ability. Not sure which tanks
can do it... but the panthers definetly can ! so watch out for those.

2. Ofcourse the tiger ace can drive through tank traps as well.

3. Again mines excellent against personal..

4. Germans have strong artillery as well.. moveable... - big bonus and
cheap too. Very very dangerous. Especially because they have long range can
come out of nearwhere fire their stuff... and then retreat into the fog of
war.. you ll have a very hard time tracking down... and you might run into
booby traps... very dangerous indeed.

5. I also see massive german troops, massive tank fleets... and the flame
tank is also very dangerous at the start.... germans pretty good for
rushing.... Allies have to be very wary of german rushing.

Germans surely have more tricks up their sleeves... but I am not so good
with germans have played them little... this is just my experience from
facing them on the battlefield...

6. Also watch out for german hidden anti tank guns... dangerous booby
traps..

7. the anti tank/anti air 88 gun is also very very very dangerous against
tanks... they can kill pershing tanks in 2 shots or so...

Well I am gonna leave it at that... there are absolutely more tips... but I
dont wanna make my german opponents to strong hehe.

Most importantly is to get as much flags as possible.. keep fighting for
them... but sometimes you need to build up a little army.. mixing is good...
but I ll leave that for you to figure out.

Ok and now the final tip:

A very nice and good hamachi network to play on is:

network: HGI-Company of Heroes
password: hamachi.eu

Close to 100 players there maybe even more...

I played at least 30 multiplayer games by now... and I am absolutely not
done yet... the game also has a very nice world editor to make your own
maps...

Future recommendations:

1. I would definetly like to see a Company of Heroe's 2 or expansion pack.

2. Put more emotions in the game... I want to see blood, screaming people,
soldiers going mad etc... I wanna see sea's full of blood, pools full of
blood, strees full of blood where there has been fighting... I wanna see
body parts fly through the sky just like quake for all I care.. and I want
to see them lieing on the floor... I also want to see burned body parts so I
almost smell the burning of the flesh... that's a real nice war.. this game
with all it's destruction is still to clean.

3. The dirty word filter has got to go... I can't even say heb ? (that's
just a normal dutch word ?)

4. The graphics could even be better but dont get me wrong they are already
pretty good and impressive.

5. I would prefer to see a better loading screen so I can see how fast the
other players load.

6. Definetly more maps... Snow, Desert, Valleys of death, More hilly
levels... Infantary only levels... Berlin map/city... Large buildings and
streets/planes and such.. apple gardens (somebody already made that in
his map... too funny)... also more trenches where infantary can go from
trench to trench... like call of duty... the grassmap.. something with an H
it was... can't remember clearly... heretage or something..

7. The alerts/signals should show up during the replay... it would also be
helpfull if the bar can be clicked to position the replay at a certain time
step/minute whatever... so not the enter replay has to be played to reach a
certain point.

8. The pathing finding of the ai for own units and the way it moves could
definetly be better... sometimes pretty annoying...

9. Also the selecting of the AI for own units could be much better, they
should fire at closest and biggest threat first... instead of non dangerous
targets like OB posts...

10. Units should be allowed to have a little bit of freedom from their
designated position... for example...everything within a certain radius of
the position can be targetted and move too... but not any further then the
radius... might be handy if the user can set the radius... or
field/circle of action or something. Not required but it's worth an
experiment to see if it's nice and handy...

All in all I am impressed with the quality of this game... there are no real
terrible bugs or anything... some graphic glitches... might be a driver
issue... but nothing really bad... I had only one crash under weird
circumstances... there was even a report form...

I do have one thing to complain about.. but maybe that will be in the
post... the timeout value for somebody to drop... should be user
configurable preferably via the gui... so far hamachi kicked me out when
trial expired... but that problem is probably now fixed.. but still I had a
game where it happened and I immediatly reactived it... it was less than a
minute but COH was unable to recover... DESYNC error or something was the
problem... to bad though... as usually that was a cool game.

I am definetly happy with this game... I only wish there was more blood,
more screaming and more of all that.. that would have made it superb. And
also better graphics would give it more points. I also want to see a new
campagne which takes me into the heart of the evil empire... the germans
hehehe.

Another interesting idea might be to fight the war with the germans... maybe
a fiction scenerio where the germans attack russia and united states or
so... just a crazy idea.. it's ok to ignore it but not the rest ofcourse
hehe.

This game has definetly earned it's stripes !

It has definetly earned each and every star that I have awarded.

This is my new favorite strategy game. Or should I say: Realtime Tactical
Game

3.5 thumbs up ! =D

Ok that was the end of my little report about this game.

Peace out...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 29th 06, 07:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Folk

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:33:07 +0100, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

Hello,

Please post your gaming reviews in a gaming group.
Old November 30th 06, 02:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Lewis

wrote:

Hello,

Please post your gaming reviews in a gaming group.

He was drooling so much he forgot to which group he was posting. Par
for the course for old Skycents. Probably the first RTS he has ever
played. Dunno why he gave it only 3.5/5. (Many others including myself
now consider CoH to be amongst the all-time classic PC game releases)
Oh just a pointer for old Skycents...... please post to
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic next time.

John Lewis
Old November 30th 06, 06:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* John Lewis:

He was drooling so much he forgot to which group he was posting.

Probably not. He has a nice history of ignoring newsgroup topics and
excessive x-posting...

Benjamin
Old December 1st 06, 01:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* John Lewis:

He was drooling so much he forgot to which group he was posting.

Probably not. He has a nice history of ignoring newsgroup topics and
excessive x-posting...

The NVidia company logo appears in Company of Heroes.

Does this mean NVidia is sponsoring these games and helping develop them ?

I like to communicate with NVidia about my experiences about the game they
sponsor and help.

Why would I communicatie on an unrelated IBM newsgroup ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old December 1st 06, 04:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

[...]

I like to communicate with NVidia about my experiences about the game
they sponsor and help.

They don't monitor this group.

Why would I communicatie on an unrelated IBM newsgroup ?

Because it's about games like CoH.

Old December 1st 06, 06:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Skybuck Flying:

The NVidia company logo appears in Company of Heroes.

Does this mean NVidia is sponsoring these games and helping develop them ?

No, it just means Nvidia pays some money to be able to present their
logo in the game.

I like to communicate with NVidia about my experiences about the game they
sponsor and help.

Nvidia probably doesn't give a f**k about that, simply because they
don't "sponsor" games or help in development. The Nvidia logo is there
for promotional reasons, that's it. Besides that, Nvidia has nothing to
do with this group, they don't read here at all. There are Nvidia forums
on nZone which are monitored by Nvidia but even there no-one would care
because Nvidia had zero to do with the game itself.

Why would I communicatie on an unrelated IBM newsgroup ?

Because it at least has something to do with games. This group is for
gfx cards with Nvidia GPU only.

Benjamin
Old December 1st 06, 12:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying

?

No, it just means Nvidia pays some money to be able to present their logo
in the game.

I like to communicate with NVidia about my experiences about the game
they sponsor and help.

Nvidia probably doesn't give a f**k about that, simply because they don't
"sponsor" games or help in development.

Ofcourse they care.

How else are games going to support their latest technology ?

Nvidia provides beta products to game developers !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old December 1st 06, 12:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying

"DRS" wrote in message
"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

[...]

I like to communicate with NVidia about my experiences about the game
they sponsor and help.

They don't monitor this group.

Why would I communicatie on an unrelated IBM newsgroup ?

Because it's about games like CoH.

Get real dude, my ISP doesn't even carry that newsgroup, that's how obselete
it is !

I rather stick to this high-tech newsgroup which is all about the latest
graphic cards and chipset for computers and games.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old December 1st 06, 01:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"DRS" wrote in message
"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

[...]

I like to communicate with NVidia about my experiences about the
game they sponsor and help.

They don't monitor this group.

Why would I communicatie on an unrelated IBM newsgroup ?

Because it's about games like CoH.

Get real dude, my ISP doesn't even carry that newsgroup, that's how
obselete it is !

My ISP has it. Don't try to make your ISP's incompetence our problem.

I rather stick to this high-tech newsgroup which is all about the
latest graphic cards and chipset for computers and games.

This group is not about games.

Soyo K7VTA-Pro fastest chip? Bitsbucket Overclocking AMD Processors 7 November 13th 04 07:19 PM
Epson 2400, any good with details, good scanner overall? Dick van Drie Scanners 1 August 31st 04 08:37 PM
dvd burner.. which one? db General 8 June 27th 04 07:47 PM
why celeron is not good? or is it good esara Homebuilt PC's 8 April 27th 04 08:52 AM
UT2004 - Looking Good and how it compared to HALO Darthy Ati Videocards 7 February 13th 04 10:24 AM