One last roll of the (AGP) dice...

Old May 12th 06, 07:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default One last roll of the (AGP) dice...

Wishing to upgrade my dual Xeon system for one last time (dual core...who
needs it:-) I thought I would swap out my trusty Quadro 980XGL in exchange
for a Gainward BLISS 7800GS+ 512MB

How best to install it?

Can I just uninstall the Quadro card from Device Manager, remove it & insert
the new card and let the latest NVIDIA drivers (84.26) identify and install
the BLISS?

Will these fully support the Gainward card?

--
Thanks & regards,
-pp-

Old May 12th 06, 08:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I dont think it works that way, because when installed the driver customizes
itself for that card, so its setup to control the Quadro,(---Pure
Speculation but makes sense) just uninstall the driver/remove old
card/insert new one then start up and install the new or same driver and be
done(after a restart that is)

Old May 13th 06, 04:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I'll give it a 70% success rate if you do it this way. Doesn't hurt to try.

Be sure to remove any Quadro-specific software (like MaxExtreme) prior to
the card swap, of course.

Old May 13th 06, 04:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Fri, 12 May 2006 19:20:00 GMT, "Me" wrote:

I dont think it works that way, because when installed the driver customizes
itself for that card, so its setup to control the Quadro,(---Pure
Speculation but makes sense) just uninstall the driver/remove old
card/insert new one then start up and install the new or same driver and be
done(after a restart that is)

I agree. I've had problems going from a GF3 Ti200 to a GF4
Ti4400, and have tested using TnT2 to GF2 MX400 cards as well without
uninstalling drivers. After uninstalling driver, and reinstalling the
same driver version fresh, problems went away.
Old May 13th 06, 08:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

for all the time it would take to uninstall the driver and then turn off
your system to insert the new card, i think it would be daft to try to
chance using the driver when configured for another card!

Old May 14th 06, 10:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Thanks for the replies guys...

Thinking about it uninstalling the drivers was the only way to go so that
was what I did.

Just the one problem - the f*ck*ng card physically won't fit! :-(

It is huge and not only would I lose the adjacent PCI slot (which I had
already bargained for) but the fan impacts on one of my hard drives - I had
to move one of them originally a slot higher so the Quadro wouldn't impact
the SATA & power cable on it but there is not a lot of room left in the
case.

It will have to go back...or should I hang on to it until the limited
edition run has ended and then sell on eBay for a profit? ;^)

ducking

Thanks and regards,
-=pp=-