~ONE ticked off mofo!!!!

Old October 27th 05, 03:27 AM

Default ~ONE ticked off mofo!!!!

Greetings everyone,
I just bought an MSI Nvidia NX6600/256 video card to replace my ATI Radeon
9800 pro 128. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!!
I read all the reviews on neweggs site about it, and, it had nothing but
rave reviews OVER the 6600GT which had mostly bad reviews.
Is there something I'm missing here? All the reviews said they had an "out
of the box" improvement over their prior cards, however, my benchmarks in
aquamark3d and 3dmark dropped by like ohhhhhhh 3,000 points yes, that's not
a typo thats threee thousand points. I even tried using the coolbits, and
the overclocking tab in the Nvidia settings windows to no avail......
Is this just a POS compared to the 9800 pro? Am I missing something or doing
something wrong? I have always been an NVidia kinda guy, but jumped ship
with the 9800 pro because it was "the best" back when..... and, I assumed
that the 6600 would at least be a step up from it, especially with 256mb of
memory.
After 5 hours of having the card I'm ready to bite the $27 restocking fee
and return it, and get something different.
Any ideas?

{SFU} Jackyl

MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR
Athlon XP2500
ATI Radeon 9800 pro ------ replaced by MSI NX6600/256 stupid me
1gb Geil DDR 3200 DC

Old October 27th 05, 03:33 AM
Spidious

I have not heard of that card. But you might of got a bad one. Are the clock
and memory speeds as stated in the ad ? Use the RivaTuner to see what the
actual settings are. I personally do not like coolbits. RivaTuner seems to
work a lot better and easier..

Old October 27th 05, 03:38 AM
Robert Hancock

wrote:
Greetings everyone,
I just bought an MSI Nvidia NX6600/256 video card to replace my ATI Radeon
9800 pro 128. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!!
I read all the reviews on neweggs site about it, and, it had nothing but
rave reviews OVER the 6600GT which had mostly bad reviews.

A 6600 is going to be significantly slower than a 6600GT, there's no
getting around it. Who is giving bad reviews to 6600GT cards?

Is there something I'm missing here? All the reviews said they had an "out
of the box" improvement over their prior cards, however, my benchmarks in
aquamark3d and 3dmark dropped by like ohhhhhhh 3,000 points yes, that's not
a typo thats threee thousand points. I even tried using the coolbits, and
the overclocking tab in the Nvidia settings windows to no avail......
Is this just a POS compared to the 9800 pro? Am I missing something or doing
something wrong? I have always been an NVidia kinda guy, but jumped ship
with the 9800 pro because it was "the best" back when..... and, I assumed
that the 6600 would at least be a step up from it, especially with 256mb of
memory.

Slower cards often come with more RAM, often as a marketing gimmick -
since the required RAM is slower, it doesn't cost as much to inflate the
RAM. It's not really going to improve performance much.

After 5 hours of having the card I'm ready to bite the $27 restocking fee
and return it, and get something different.

Sounds like a plan to me..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

Home Page:
http://www.roberthancock.com/
Old October 27th 05, 04:17 AM
Augustus

wrote in message
Greetings everyone,
I just bought an MSI Nvidia NX6600/256 video card to replace my ATI Radeon
9800 pro 128. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!!

A straight 6600 isn't really any improvement over a 9800 Pro. A 6600GT is.
You seem to be under the impression that your card is a 6600GT. It isn't.
Here's a bench of your card and the actual MSI 6600GT and a 9800 Pro.

http://www.overclockers.co.nz/ocnz/r...00gf6600gt0406

Old October 27th 05, 05:34 AM
Larry Roberts

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:27:39 GMT, wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you have it backwards. The 6600GT is better than a
standard 6600. Usally the 256MB version is slower than the 128MB. The
reviews about 6600GT beating the 9800 Pro are right, but it's not
enough to be considered an upgrade. The standard 6600 would be a
downgrade from a 9800 Pro.
I'd at least get a standard 6800 (not a 6800LE, or other
crrippled varient) to do better.
Old October 27th 05, 09:07 PM
Geoff

wrote in message
Greetings everyone,
I just bought an MSI Nvidia NX6600/256 video card to replace my ATI Radeon
9800 pro 128. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!!

hang on, let me get this right, you bought a 6600 to replace your 9800 pro ?

lol

maybe next time you should do your own research instead of listening to
poeple say, oh yes this is a brilliant piece of hardware, buy one now !

Old October 28th 05, 10:53 AM
Conor

In article , says...
Greetings everyone,
I just bought an MSI Nvidia NX6600/256 video card to replace my ATI Radeon
9800 pro 128. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!!

It will be, dickhead. You bought a 6600, not a 6600GT. It's about 2/3
of the speed.

I read all the reviews on neweggs site about it, and, it had nothing but
rave reviews OVER the 6600GT which had mostly bad reviews.
Is there something I'm missing here?

Yeah, two letters G T.

All the reviews said they had an "out
of the box" improvement over their prior cards, however, my benchmarks in
aquamark3d and 3dmark dropped by like ohhhhhhh 3,000 points yes, that's not
a typo thats threee thousand points. I even tried using the coolbits, and
the overclocking tab in the Nvidia settings windows to no avail......
Is this just a POS compared to the 9800 pro? Am I missing something or doing
something wrong? I have always been an NVidia kinda guy, but jumped ship
with the 9800 pro because it was "the best" back when..... and, I assumed
that the 6600 would at least be a step up from it, especially with 256mb of
memory.

You assumed wrong.

After 5 hours of having the card I'm ready to bite the $27 restocking fee
and return it, and get something different.
Any ideas?

BUY A ****ING 6600GT. You read the reviews of the GT then went and
bought a plain 6600. That's about as clever as reading reviews of a
9800 Pro then going and buying a 9800SE and complaining that it isn't
as quick.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.
Old October 30th 05, 02:57 AM
Spidious

I now am the proud owner of a 6600GT..
One thing to say

WOW

The scores I have managed to get on 3DMark03 absolutely blew away my 9800XT

9800XT was 4078
and the
6600GT was 8315 ! http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4361128