Safe Mode Display

Old May 5th 12, 04:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Default Safe Mode Display

Sid Elbow wrote:
On 5/4/2012 6:59 PM, Buffalo wrote:

Yep, I have a backup to an external HDD.
But, I only have one HDD in my PC and it is a dual boot 98se-win2k
system and I would really hate to screw it up.
I am not familar enough with doing a complete deletion and format of
just one partition to justify possibly screwing up my whole system.

Respectfully, Buffalo ... just an observation, if you have that little
confidence in your backup/restore process then you really don't have a
reliable backup system. It would be worth addressing that as soon as
you can, quite apart from your other problems.

I have many OS partitions on many machines, all backed up (though
perhaps not as up-to-date as they should be in some cases). I wouldn't
think twice about wiping a partition for a re-install with a view to a
possible later restore.

You're probably right. I have never restored anything off an external USB
HDD, but I once used my Ghost image to restore my C: partition and it worked
like a charm. Course, it was on a partition on the same HDD.
At least now I have it backed up on an external USB HDD.
I'm glad you reminded my to look up on how to use that backup. Damn, I may
need it sooner than I think.

Thanks again,
Buffalo

PS: I don't think I am the only person in the world that has that problem
with the AGP GeForce 7600GT 256MB vid card and Win2000ProSP4.

Old May 5th 12, 06:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Buffalo wrote:
Sid Elbow wrote:
[...]

I've had problems on Win2K before, but it was because I didn't remove
the old drivers, before installing new ones. The machine had a Matrox
card at one time, an ATI, and finally an NVidia, and the drivers were
a mess. In particular, an inspection showed after Add/Remove of ATI
driver, there were still ATI files in the system. What eventually happened,
is I could no longer get accelerated video to work (no gaming), no matter
what I did with drivers. I had to reload the OS and start from scratch.
Worked fine after that. Moral of the story was - need "much hygiene"
with regard to video card drivers. I even tried all the available
"driver cleaners" at the time (like ones stored on guru3d). I couldn't
figure out, what exactly was broken.

Paul
Old May 5th 12, 03:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Sid Elbow wrote:
[...]

I did have ATI drivers before this card (8500LE) and I did uninstall and
also used an ATI driver cleaner and a search for anything ATI, in files and
in the Registry.
I think you're probably correct that something is amiss in my Win2K system.
I don't believe that I will do a clean install of my OS since my backup was
made after the problem started and I have a lot of programs I would have to
reinstall if I did it,
Thanks again for your thoughtful input.
Buffalo
PS: If you can think of something else, let me know.
PPS:It is extremely difficult to install new (different) drivers as the
display gets so corrupted when I remove the previous drivers and reboot.The
display tears so bad when I move the mouse pointer that it is almost like
doing it blindly and from memory.
It didn't do that when I uninstalled the ATI drivers and rebooted to install
the GeForce drivers the first time.

Old May 5th 12, 03:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Sid Elbow

On 5/4/2012 11:02 PM, Buffalo wrote:

You're probably right. I have never restored anything off an external USB
HDD, but I once used my Ghost image to restore my C: partition and it worked
like a charm. Course, it was on a partition on the same HDD.

Risky ... if that HD dies everything's gone. If you are backing up on
the same machine, at least use a second HD.

At least now I have it backed up on an external USB HDD.

Yes, that's what I do and I do it with a Ghost DOS boot disc (mini-cd).
On some machines, the BIOS USB driver won't work with my version of
Ghost so I have to force Ghost to use its own but that works well
enough. I also use Ghost's "check image file" on each backup after I
make it - wouldn't want to need to restore it and find that it's junk!
Old May 5th 12, 04:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Sid Elbow

On 5/5/2012 10:18 AM, Buffalo wrote:

I don't believe that I will do a clean install of my OS since my backup was
made after the problem started and I have a lot of programs I would have to
reinstall if I did it,

That's a common viewpoint and obviously it's your call but it can be
very rewarding to bite the bullet and most people who do so are glad
they did. I don't think it's an option that should be dismissed lightly.

It does need a bit of forethought and planning-ahead such as:

- gather all required drivers (latest versions)

- review your apps and determine which ones you want to keep (I'd be
surprised if you didn't find that half of them were unnecessary)

- prioritise the remaining apps into stuff that has to be installed
immediately; those that can be installed over a few days; those that can
be installed "as required".

- if you can, put all of the drivers and apps onto a single cd/dvd (that
really helps).

You'll probably lose the system for a day or so but when you finish
you'll have a "new" system - much cleaner and "perkier" than before.

Another possibility if you have the room is to create another partition
and do the fresh install in that while keeping the working original in a
multi-boot system.

Does my bias show? :-)

(Sorry - probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs).

Old May 6th 12, 07:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Sid Elbow wrote:
[...]

If I do go through the trouble of formatting and a clean install, I believe
I will just install XP Home
instead of Win2KProSP4. Then, if that is successful, I may well just get rid
of my 98SE and change partition sizes.
Thanks again,
Buffalo

Old May 10th 12, 03:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Frank

Buffalo wrote:
Paul wrote:

I did have ATI drivers before this card (8500LE) and I did uninstall and
also used an ATI driver cleaner and a search for anything ATI, in files and
in the Registry.
I think you're probably correct that something is amiss in my Win2K system.
I don't believe that I will do a clean install of my OS since my backup was
made after the problem started and I have a lot of programs I would have to
reinstall if I did it,
Thanks again for your thoughtful input.

The thing is the amount of time you've already spent trying to fix this
you could have done a clean install and reloaded all your essential
progs, You can always make the job a lot eadier in future if you keep a
copy of all your 'prog install exe' files you download from in a single
folder (eg Downloads). Then it's just a matter of systematically going
through each one to restore your software. Of course if you have a few
hundred plus downloaded progs, it's going to take a while, but you don't
have to do it all at once.

Old May 26th 12, 07:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Miles[_2_]

On 5/5/2012 10:00 AM, Sid Elbow wrote:
On 5/5/2012 10:18 AM, Buffalo wrote:

[snip]
Another possibility if you have the room is to create another partition
and do the fresh install in that while keeping the working original in a
multi-boot system.

I have sufficient room to create another partition, but no instructions
for how to do it when it requires first shrinking the C: partition.

Using 64-bit Windows Vista.

Safe Mode Macc Eldon Dell Computers 4 January 2nd 07 12:14 PM
So what is it about Safe Mode... Nick4000 Asus Motherboards 5 November 8th 06 07:38 AM
safe mode Ned Protter Compaq Computers 4 November 20th 04 10:40 PM
starting in safe mode Chuck Packard Bell Computers 9 September 1st 03 04:22 AM
safe mode! leza Homebuilt PC's 1 July 17th 03 05:05 AM