Replacement for nVidia 8400GS graphics card

Old March 25th 12, 02:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Norm X

Default Replacement for nVidia 8400GS graphics card

Hi,

Several years ago I purchased a cheap graphics card ($78) that contained the
nVidia 8400GS chip. I was not happy with the purchase. I ordered it from the
web catalog of a supplier (NCIX) and waited two weeks for delivery. The
original picture showed a graphic card with a expensive passive heat sink.
When it was delivered to me the graphics card (Palit) was equipped with a
small fan. I objected to the (show and switch) but sales said, "no problem
man, it will work fine". The first problem that I had was that the fan
caught on the uncut soldered wires of the neighboring board and it
overheated. I took it back but they said "no problem man, it will work fine"
if I use a wire cutter to trim back the extra wire lengths, which I did. I
worked OK for several years. I use it to provide 1080p output to my DTV.

Recently the fan seized. I serviced the fan with difluoroethane and WD40 so
that it spun freely again. That worked for a while but then the fan made a
sound like a banshee in heat. So I removed the Palit board but now I don't
have 1080p.

I'm a disabled person and I don't have a big budget. I have not been able to
find a replacement fan in town. I can't see any replacement fan on line.

QUESTION:

Does anyone have any idea for a consumer level nVidia product in the same
price range that uses a passive heat sink?

Thanks

Old March 25th 12, 04:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Norm X wrote:
[...]

For some of these kinds of cards, they have a standard footprint for the
heatsink attach points. After-market cooler makers, cover a number
of video cards, with the same cooler design. This particular one
is discontinued, but with some luck, NCIX will still have one
available for you. (It's possible a newer Accelero product would work,
but they probably don't check whether the 8400 fits any more. But it
could well have the same footprint as a more modern card. Using the
drawing file for a more modern product, you might be able to
figure that out on your own.)

"Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2 Passive VGA Cooler" $24.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=27...ctic%20Cooling

That would not be for a low profile card. A low profile card
could have a different footprint for the screw holes, for all I know.

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vg...s1-rev.-2.html

"8400GS(not LP)"

You can match up the screw pattern on the baseplate, to the
screw pattern on your card, to imagine how it's going to fit (or not).
Usually, they have a drawing.

http://www.arctic.ac/fileadmin/arcti...eleroS1_r2.pdf

Strap some fans on for $10. That's if you wanted to pretend the RAM
chips on your card get hot (which they probably don't). Otherwise,
the passive, heatpipe cooler might be enough on its own.

"Arctic Cooling Turbo Module Dual Fan Addon for Accelero S1 and S2 VGA Coolers" $10.10
2 x 80mm fans.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=27...ctic%20Cooling

*******

To instead, replace the video card, I'd need to know whether you're looking for
a PCI, AGP, or PCI Express card. What slots do you have available ?

AGP choices would be getting pretty thin. Nvidia doesn't
do AGP any more, because they stopped making HSI chips.
ATI might still have some cards, bridged via Rialto. But
then, the drivers for either of those two kinds of card
constructions, can suck.

There might be a few PCI ones.

The cheapest ones could well be PCI Express.

Give some details like the motherboard make and model, or
if you know which slot type it is, that would help. Some
of the older cards, were available in more than one format,
and I don't want to "bark up the wrong tree".

Paul
Old March 25th 12, 11:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Norm X

"Paul" wrote in message
Norm X wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul,

Maybe I should give NCIX a call to see if they stock a Palit fan. I'm on the
other side of the Salish Sea now.

It might be a good idea to upgrade the graphics cars. It's for a PCI slot in
an Acer M1640. The PCI express slot is occupied by a Hauppauge WinTV card.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old March 26th 12, 02:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Norm X wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
Norm X wrote:
[...]

I see a PCI Express x16 slot and a PCI Express x1 slot. Ebay shows
two different motherboards for the M1640, with those two slots swapped between
the two motherboard types.

The tuner card might fit in an x1 slot or an x16 slot. An x1 can go into
an x1 or an x16, while an x16 can only go in an x16 (unless you have a
special slot with the end cut off - they made a few x4's like that on
retail motherboards - an open ended connector). It might be possible to
juggle your tuner and video needs a bit, to better use the slots. And
in that case, we'd be looking for a one slot thick video card. (I didn't
check the cards for thickness when selecting cards below, because I don't
know if you have room for a thicker video card in your slot layout or not.
It depends on how the slots are arranged on the motherboard, and whether
you have spare slots to allow a card to "overhang" an adjacent slot.)

The reason I steer away from PCI cards (the two white slots on your motherboard),
is they give only 133MB/sec data transfer rate. Most of the time, you can
almost get away with it. Where that slot becomes inadequate, is when you
move a bitmap window around the screen. I own a PCI FX5200, and if I open
QuickTime Player and move the window around the screen, the display
"stutters" a bit. That's hitting the bus transfer limit (due to the
stupid way the program draws the window). Just like the crappy frame
buffers we used to build 20 years ago :-)

So PCI is a last resort and to be avoided if possible.

Another thing that occasionally happens with PCI cards, is the
driver software notices that the slot is PCI type, and certain
features in the GPU are turned off (so the user never gets to
see how awful the performance would be, if the feature was
left turned on). On accelerated movie playback, it might include
disabling 3:2 pulldown perhaps.

Newegg still sells a passive 8400GS in PCI format. This is low profile,
with a passive heatsink. You can sit a computer case cooling fan next
to this, if you think it's getting too hot. $50. There is also a
Sparkle brand one which is $10 less, also passive and body of card
is low profile.

What's interesting in the Newegg list, is there are a few newer
cards (probably bridged, but with a third party PCI Express to
PCI bridge chip on the video card). HD 5450 PCI. $63

The nice thing about the newer cards, is they're slowly getting
the power dissipation down, even below the level the cards used
10 years ago. 10 years ago, a GPU might have used 30 watts. The
HD 5450, flat out, uses 9.2 watts. Idling, it uses around 3.2 watts.
And that would be the main reason for wanting something like this.
The heatsink is small, because the job the heatsink has to do, isn't
all that tough. If you didn't play games on this card, you could
probably rip the heatsink right off, and the GPU would survive :-)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/gra...0_3.html#sect0

Newegg lists around 55 different PCI card models. There are more
cards to choose from in PCI, than for AGP. But some of the PCI
cards, are long in the tooth. Like, I still see 7000 cards, and
I can't imagine how they're still finding chips for those. If
you go too far back in terms of card designs, eventually there
will be resolution limits on the connectors.

An Nvidia PCI card of recent vintage, would be this GT 520 for $60.
Again, the GPU is PCI Express, and a bridge chip is probably needed
to get the PCI signals to use for it. They could actually put PCI
pins on the GPU chip itself, but that would be pretty wasteful, and
also require tolerance for the higher bus voltages involved.

They don't have a measured power for that one here. Only Nvidia's
estimate (which is always on the high side). The GT 520 is rated at
29 watts, just like a traditional video card from 10 years ago.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphic...ce_GT_520.html

*******

You can get video cards, with PCI Express x1 connectors on them. They
fit in the "small" slot on your motherboard. This is another HD 5450 9.2 watt
one for $65 with a passive cooler (no fan).

*******

If you could juggle the tuner and video card, leaving the x16 slot
for the video card, then you can do even better on price.

You can get an 8400GS in PCI Express x16 for $30 :-)

Or a GeForce 210 in PCI Express x16 for $40. Has a fan. Even
though it only draws 8.7 watts flat out (playing Crysis, probably
at 1 frame per second).

So there are lots of possibilities. The PCI seem to be a little more
expensive for what you're getting. The PCI Express x16 can be a bit
cheaper. Newegg has seven cards with PCI Express x1 (tiny) connectors
on them, and the example above was $65. So the premium on these
cards, seems to be the less "mainstream" they are, the more you
pay for them. The 8400GS appears to exist in all the form factors,
with quite varying prices to match.

You don't have to buy the card from Newegg. I use that site, for
the customer reviews and for price estimates. Another retailer
won't have nearly the same selection. Like our friend NCIX, you sometimes
find identical items on there, but NCIX doesn't have nearly the selection.
So when you go to make the actual selection, you might be quite limited
in what you can find.

Paul
Old April 11th 12, 06:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Miles[_2_]

On 3/24/2012 8:52 PM, Norm X wrote:
[...]

I'm disabled also.

Have you tried this site for finding a replacement fan?

http://www.newegg.com/

There's also this page for fans and heatsinks, mostly for CPUs.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category...ory=11&Tpk=fan

If you prefer a new graphics board, see he

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...0for%20desktop

This one may be what you want, but you'd better scroll down to
Card Dimensions under Details to see if it will fit:

Also, you should check the power supply rating in your computer.
If it's less than 300 watts, this card is not the best choice.