Latest GeForce 8800 GT driver

Old March 14th 12, 08:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

Default Latest GeForce 8800 GT driver

A month ago I updated my NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT driver to the latest
version. Today I have an email '296.10 GeForce 8800 T - Windows XP' saying
there's already another version available.

Q1: What are the key changes in this short time please?

Q2: Windows XP Properties Settings Advanced Adapter (for my current
version) says:
"Driver Version: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 6.14.12.957."
How does that translate into something like "296.10" or whatever? Why
don't NVIDIA and Microsoft use the same version numbers?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old March 14th 12, 08:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

Terry Pinnell wrote:

A month ago I updated my NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT driver to the latest
version. Today I have an email '296.10 GeForce 8800 T - Windows XP' saying
there's already another version available.

Q1: What are the key changes in this short time please?

Q2: Windows XP Properties Settings Advanced Adapter (for my current
version) says:
"Driver Version: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 6.14.12.957."
How does that translate into something like "296.10" or whatever?Why
don't NVIDIA and Microsoft use the same version numbers?

This is what I see on the download page:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/Nvidia-Driver-1.jpg

Can someone answer the two points I've raised there please?

On my earlier question about 'translation', I'm guessing you take the last
4 digits of the MS number, 2.957, shift the decimal place 2 positions to
the right, which gives 295.7 - but how does that become what NVIDIA call
'295.73'? Where does the 3 come from?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old March 14th 12, 03:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
peter

This is where you should be getting your NVidia drivers NOT from the MS
update site
http://www.geforce.com/Drivers

peter

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message

A month ago I updated my NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT driver to the latest
version. Today I have an email '296.10 GeForce 8800 T - Windows XP' saying
there's already another version available.

Q1: What are the key changes in this short time please?

Q2: Windows XP Properties Settings Advanced Adapter (for my current
version) says:
"Driver Version: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 6.14.12.957."
How does that translate into something like "296.10" or whatever? Why
don't NVIDIA and Microsoft use the same version numbers?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
sideways, chocolate in one hand, and wine in the other, body thoroughly used
up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Old March 14th 12, 04:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

Eh? Did you read my post? I *am* getting my downloads from the NVIDIA
site.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

"peter" wrote:

This is where you should be getting your NVidia drivers NOT from the MS
update site
http://www.geforce.com/Drivers

peter

.. .

Old March 14th 12, 08:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
peter

Sorry about that..
New in Release 296.10

•Adds support for the new GeForce GTX 560 SE GPU.
•Updates PhysX System Software to version 9.12.0213.
•Boosts SLI performance in the following games:
◦Blacklight: Retribution – up to 1.8x performance increase
◦DiRT 3 – updated DX11 profile to improve menu performance
â—¦Dishonored
â—¦Dungeon Defenders
◦F1 2011 – improves performance with game patch 1.2
â—¦rFactor 2
•Adds 3D Vision support for the following games:
◦Dear Esther – Rated Good
◦Deep Black: Reloaded – Rated 3D Vision Ready
•Includes numerous bug fixes. Refer to the release notes documentation for
more details.

Display Driver Version
--------------
Can be determined by opening the NVLE.inf file (contained within the folder
of Display.Driver)
and referring to the 9th line which will be similar to:

DriverVer = 06/23/2008, 7.15.11.6959

In this case, it means that the driver version is 169.59.

6.14.12.957
translates into 295.7

Old March 14th 12, 09:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

OK, thanks. Reckon I'll go ahead and install it then, although it's only
about a month since the last one.

Re the version numbering, I still don't see why MS and NVidia use such
wildly different methods? According to that INF file line 9 the
DriverVer = 02/09/2012, 6.14.12.9573
So why do NVidia call it 295.73? Is the '6.14.1' part
meaningless/redundant?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

"peter" wrote:

Sorry about that..
New in Release 296.10

•Adds support for the new GeForce GTX 560 SE GPU.
•Updates PhysX System Software to version 9.12.0213.
•Boosts SLI performance in the following games:
?Blacklight: Retribution – up to 1.8x performance increase
?DiRT 3 – updated DX11 profile to improve menu performance
?Dishonored

Old March 15th 12, 02:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
KCB[_2_]

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
OK, thanks. Reckon I'll go ahead and install it then, although it's only
about a month since the last one.

Re the version numbering, I still don't see why MS and NVidia use such
wildly different methods? According to that INF file line 9 the
DriverVer = 02/09/2012, 6.14.12.9573
So why do NVidia call it 295.73? Is the '6.14.1' part
meaningless/redundant?

Microsoft has nothing to do with Nvidia driver version numbers. Nvidia
controls both the internal number (ex: 6.14.12.9573), and the public release
number (ex: 295.7). You need to ask Nvidia how they come up with the
numbers.

Old March 15th 12, 02:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
David[_21_]

You should see a driver number of 8.17.12.9610 when 296.10 is installed on
Windows 7 so I think the initial number (6 or 8) is related to your Windows
version.

The reason for the quick update is that Nvidia have released a Windows 8
only driver.

Old March 15th 12, 09:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

"David" wrote:

You should see a driver number of 8.17.12.9610 when 296.10 is installed on
Windows 7 so I think the initial number (6 or 8) is related to your Windows
version.

The reason for the quick update is that Nvidia have released a Windows 8
only driver.

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
.. .

OK, thanks. Reckon I'll go ahead and install it then, although it's only
about a month since the last one.

Re the version numbering, I still don't see why MS and NVidia use such
wildly different methods? According to that INF file line 9 the
DriverVer = 02/09/2012, 6.14.12.9573
So why do NVidia call it 295.73? Is the '6.14.1' part
meaningless/redundant?

Thanks both.

@David. In that case I'll stay with my current version.

--