AsRock motherboards any good?

Old September 24th 06, 02:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
nospam

Default AsRock motherboards any good?

Hi,

I have not built a PC in about 10 years so I am a bit out of touch.

I haven't heard or AsRock motherboards.

Are they OK?

Are they as good as Asus motherboards?

Thanks

--
Nospam
Old September 24th 06, 02:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Chingy

Yeah they are not bad for Base system no overclocking..they make good
affordable motherboards, while Asus put all sort of overclocking capablity
in their motherboards and they charge you $$$ for it..

Cheers

Old September 24th 06, 02:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Chingy

Another good contender is Foxconn they make good motherboard they are more
reliable as I seen on many forums...

Old September 24th 06, 04:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Nospam wrote:
Hi,

I have not built a PC in about 10 years so I am a bit out of touch.

I haven't heard or AsRock motherboards.

Are they OK?

no. they are budget boards with terrible support, poor design, and
should be avoided at all costs.

i have seen them with paper caps and extra solder blobbed all over,
then sealed in plastic- no lie.

i wouldn't use one or sell one for love or money.

Are they as good as Asus motherboards?

not in the same solar system.

carl

Thanks

--
Nospam

Old September 24th 06, 04:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Chingy wrote:
Another good contender is Foxconn they make good motherboard they are more
reliable as I seen on many forums...

Foxconn motherboards are the lowest of the low-the cheapest, crappiest,
worst supported motherboards out there.

Dell uses Foxconn motherboards- that should give you the idea.

they should be avoided at all costs, they are not reliable, very, very
hard to get serviced or replaced, and very badly designed.

carl

Old September 24th 06, 06:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Doug

Amen with a capitol A.... Just spend the money, especially when it's the
heart and soul of your system.. Buy ASUS and be done for the life of the
system...

Doug

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old September 24th 06, 09:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
km

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 02:18:33 +0100, Nospam
wrote:

Hi,

I have not built a PC in about 10 years so I am a bit out of touch.

I haven't heard or AsRock motherboards.

Are they OK?

Are they as good as Asus motherboards?

Thanks

Very difficult for an accurate reply as most home-builders only do
what you do and put a system together infrequently. Even the most
expensive motherboards fail!

I have used ASRock on two machines for a number of years with no
problems:

ASRock K758XE

Just after I bought these my son-in-law put a system together with a
slightly improved spec on this board (similar number but can't
remember the detail) and this lasted just over 12 months before
failing - unable to establish reason. No obvious things like swollen
caps.

The point I am making is that unless you get a response from someone
who handles lots of these you will get an uninformed view.

Even with my purchases it is not good to take them as of value because
of course it is now 2/3 years on and manufacturing/supplier of parts
etc will probably be different.

KM
Old September 24th 06, 11:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor

In article , Nospam says...
Hi,

I have not built a PC in about 10 years so I am a bit out of touch.

I haven't heard or AsRock motherboards.

Are they OK?

Budget arm of Asus.

Are they as good as Asus motherboards?

Oh yes. When you get the box and open it, you'd be surprised that it's
supposed to be a budget board.

Runs great. Can do some overclocking although it doen't have as many
options as I'd like however OCW provide a modified BIOS if you're
prepared to take the risk.

For the price you can't go wrong.

--
Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, £2.50 just for signing up:
http://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/Conor/ref/index.htm
Old September 24th 06, 04:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Johanna

Hi!
I bought one because it could do BOTH AGP and PCI-E simultaneously
(yes!). It is called Asrock 939 Dual SATA.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...39Dual-SATA2/2

Money was not the reason for buying this over Asus for example. I wanted
this particular board.
I had a £250 AGP card that I didn't want to upgrade, however I needed a
new motherboard.
This motherboard got fantastic reviews in CustomPC (a UK enthusiast
magazine) - won awards etc.
People were saying that Asrock was not as good as other makes, but I
trust that magazine! There were some other good reviews online as well.

It was cheap, easy to use, nice looking and reliable. I am pleased with it.
The downside is that it is not very easy to overclock. You can only
overclock a little bit until it becomes unstable.
(at least that was my experience).

However, a (supposedly) easy hardware hack which involves a small
alteration to the mobo with a tool which I don't know the English name
for fixes that problem. (I didn't try it)
But after doing that that you can do some serious overclocking according
to people online.
I haven't done it though, but it is explained online.

Old September 25th 06, 12:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW

Asrock motherboards are made by Asus as their off-brand models. They are
not built with the same quality of components as Asus boards, but they also
do not cost as much. Your choice.

--
DaveW