AIW 9000 - no HDTV output compatibility?

Old June 23rd 03, 09:33 PM
David White

Default AIW 9000 - no HDTV output compatibility?

Hi.

I'm considering buying an AIW 9000 or 8500DV soon (I'm on a budget or
it'd be a 9700!), and I'm concerned that I can't find any information
on whether or not the 9000 supports the HDTV output dongle. The ATI
site says HDTV output is supported by the 9500/9700 series, and
there's also one supported by the 8500 ones, but nothing about the
9000...

I would prefer to buy the 9000 because it's a slightly "newer" board -
albeit basically the same as the 8500, or so I'm told - but I really
want HDTV output for DVD playback, etc. so I'm leaning towards the
8500DV because of that.

Does anyone know if the AIW 9000 supports HDTV output, or know where I
might be able to find out?

Also, are there any comparative reviews of 8500 and 9000 series cards
out there so I can see if there's a performance difference?

Thanks in advance,
DW
Old June 24th 03, 12:45 AM
David White

Hmm, good idea.

Don't suppose you have any idea what sort of TVs (available in Canada) have
those sort of inputs? Just to give me a lead for searching, that is, not
necessarily an exhaustive list! ...though that would be nice... :0)

Thanks for that,
DW

Nobody_of_Consequence wrote:
Get a hdtv with standard vga or dvi input. Use Powerstrip
to match card to monitor. Works great.

om...

Old June 25th 03, 01:11 AM
Nobody_of_Consequence

Nope, I don't know much about tv's available in Canada.
Try visiting a "superstore" like BestBuy's or Circuit City.
Check the sets out yourself, the sales people at these stores
are not very knowlegeble. Most hdtv's will probably have vga,
only a few will have dvi.

I've been using a Pioneer Elite rear projector for almost 2 years.
The vga connector worked well with an original Radeon, and works
very well with my new 9700 Pro. I use my pc as primary dvd player.
It easily outperforms an Sony dvd unit, as far as picture quality is
concerned.

Old June 25th 03, 06:05 PM
David White

Nobody_of_Consequence wrote:
Nope, I don't know much about tv's available in Canada.
Try visiting a "superstore" like BestBuy's or Circuit City.
Check the sets out yourself, the sales people at these stores
are not very knowlegeble. Most hdtv's will probably have vga,
only a few will have dvi.

I was just joshin' ya, really. I didn't expect you to reel out all the
answers for me! :0)

I've spotted a 34" (CRT) RCA 16:9 HDTV on the net that says it's got a DVI
input, but I think I might have to walk around the shop floor at Futureshop
or something like that to really get a good idea of what's available.
Assuming the wife will allow me to buy any of them, anyway! :0)

Thanks,
DW