DL380 G1...

Old May 27th 06, 05:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default DL380 G1...

Hi all.. Someone in my local area is selling a DL380 G1 (I think it's a G1)
with a single 733Mhz processor, 4x18.2 Gb hot swap drives + RAID controller
(not sure what kind -- perhaps a SA3200?), 640Mb RAM, floppy, cd,etc..
He listed it for $250 several days back and has now dropped the price to
$125.. I'm not really interested for that price yet -- perhaps if it gets
down to $75 or less.. Anyway, a few questions if I might :

1) For a machine if this configuration, is there anything I should be looking
for (and how to tell a G1 vs G2 -- I gather the G2's are 1Ghz or more?)

2) What is the timeline between my existing Proliant 6400R and when the DL380
came out -- can I assume that DL380 is a (slightly) newer machine since the
processor is a bit faster (733 vs. 500 on my 6400r)?

3) What's the chance that the drives in the DL380 could be used in my 6400r in
a pinch if one of mine dies -- are they the 1" black tray varieties?

I'm thinking of getting this (if the price is right) as a backup machine if
needed (of for some parts if possible).. Anyway, just trying to gauge if
it's a deal I should look into further or skip at this point..

Thanks!

-- Rick

Old May 27th 06, 05:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Rick F." wrote in message
[...]

Yes, Its a G1 (G1 = Slot1 proceesors, G2 = socket370 from 1.0 to 1.4Ghz)
Your 6400 is circa 1998 ... the DL380 might be 2000
Yes, the drives are interchangeable
The DL380 has an onboard array controller (ROC) ... it might have a PCI card
instead/in additon to that
Not many parts you could take out of the 380 and put in any other systems
.... cept for the ML370.

125 aint a bad deal on that. The best controller you can put in there, i
think, is a 5300. Thats what I have in mine. I love that 380.

- LC

Old May 31st 06, 11:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article , Nut Cracker wrote:
my friends over at www.nautilusnet.com are having a crazy blow out sale on
DL380G1's ... $50

Thanks for the link.. They seem to have a good sprinkling of all sorts of stuff
in the Compaq realm of things.. However, your above mentioned deal is gone -- the
lowest price DL380G1's is now $75-$100 depending on shape/speed,etc.

-- Rick