Inspiron 8600 Advice

Old April 19th 04, 02:25 PM
David Bland

Default Inspiron 8600 Advice

I ordered a refurb Inspiron 8600 last week, then suffered buyer's
remorse and cancelled it. Well, they shipped it anyway, and it's on
the way, to arrive sometime this week.

It's a got a 1.4 Ghz Pentium-M processor, 512 Meg Ram, 128 Mb ATI
Radeon video card, 60 GB 4200 rpm HD.

I play some video games (Syberia, Thief), watch/burn DVDs, and do some
video editing with Pinnacle Studio 8.

I think this machine will handle most of this. I'm a bit concerned
about the video editing. I know the HD is a bit slow.

Any thoughts? Should I refuse the package, or crack it open, and see
if it will do the trick?

Thanks,

David
Old April 20th 04, 01:13 AM
Tom Scales

What's the risk? The cost of shipping? Can't be THAT much.

Pretty powerful machine. Video editing taxes any machine, so that is your
weakness. The editing will go fine. The rendering will be slow.

Tom
om...

Old April 20th 04, 01:27 AM
Kevin M

Just refuse it when the delivery person shows up. I had the same thing to
happen on an Axim. I called 5 minutes to cancel the order and got this lady
who could hardly speak English. She assured me that the order was cancelled.
I had accidentally ordered the wrong Axim. I ordered the correct one a few
minutes later. Well, of course, both Axims showed up. I simply refused to
accept the one I had cancelled. The (correct) one I did accept was missing
the data sync cable. I emailed Dell for several days trying to get the cable
and they kept saying the service tag I was giving them was invalid, however,
I could pull up my order history and see the exact service tag in my name. I
finally gave up with these idiots and sent this one back as well. They have
both Axims now ( Yes, they gave me return auth), but they are still emailing
asking me for the service tag in order to send me a sync cable. Dell has
some of the most incompetent people I have ever dealt with. I cannot imagine
buying something as expensive as a laptop from these morons.

Kevin Miller
North Carolina

Old April 21st 04, 05:31 AM
Alien Hoobajoob

4200 rpm is too slow a hard drive for video editing. even 5.4k is a little
slow. use an external 7.2k or 10k instead and you'll be fine.