My case is hot enough to cook a turkey

Old December 7th 07, 02:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus, alt.comp.hardware
jack[_3_]

Default My case is hot enough to cook a turkey

Hello,

I recently built a new system around an Asus P5E (bios 402), C2D
E6850, ATI 2600 XT, and a CoolerMaster 534 case. I ran Prime95 last to
load test the system and about 25 minutes into the test, Asus PC Probe
was reporting a CPU temp of 91 deg Celsius and MB temp of 192 deg
Celsius ( yes, those numbers are Celsius not Fahrenheit... I'm not
making this up). Needless to say I immediately shutdown Prime95. The
CPU temp slowly came down to the mid 80's C and stayed there for about
3 or 4 minutes until I rebooted. I entered the Bios and went to
Hardware Monitor and the CPU temp was 40-42 deg C and MB temp was 35
deg C. I reran Prime 95 this morning for about 20 minutes and the CPU
temp never rose above 53 deg C and MB temp never went higher than 36
deg C.

Any opinions on what might have been going on last night. I should
also add that I am not overclocking the CPU nor the memory. Everything
is running at stock frequencies and voltages. Could this have damaged
the CPU in anyway?

Old December 7th 07, 03:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware
Eric Parker

"jack" wrote in message
[...]

Well that is fortunate about this time of year ;-)

But seriously -

The thermal paste may have now settled.
I have noticed that it takes 2 or 3 hot/cold cycles before cooling
efficiency
reaches optimal, but nothing on that scale. Perhaps the heatsink was not
settled but did afterwards. The CPU may have been damaged. I'd give it
a 12 hour Prime95 * 2 test (both CPUs at 100%). Initially keeping a
close
eye on temps. The CPU may give up somewhere down the line but if it
was mine I'd just run it.

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old December 7th 07, 06:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 06:19:57 -0800 (PST), jack
wrote:

[...]

Seems like a random bug in PC Probe. If you aren't running
the latest version you might upgrade to it, or if you are
running the latest maybe it has a yet-unpatched flaw that
the prior version doesn't.

If your processor were at 91C, Prime95 would have errors
right away and if the MB were 192C, you'd be smelling the
fumes coming off it as it baked. They are impossible temps
in this scenario since the system otherwise
worked/still-does.
Old December 7th 07, 07:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware
UCLAN

jack wrote:

[...]

192 Celsius? That's close to 380 degrees F.

I think you were getting erroneous readings.
Old December 7th 07, 09:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware
Emerald Saint

You can put an ordinary thermometer in the case just for a test. Maybe a
good way to calibrate the case temp monitor.

I have used ASUS Probe a lot. I notice CPU and Mainboard temps have shifted
10 deg C - maybe more - for no reason. This on two different ASUS P4P800SE
machines at different times. I don't think there is any actual temp
difference - it is the sensor or Probe utility. The shifts occurred after
more than1 year of use. Temp also shifts back. These changes are all
long-term. But it's 10 or 15 deg C changes - not hot like you say.

Bill S.

Old December 8th 07, 02:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_8_]

Somewhere on teh interweb jack typed:
[...]

Dump PC Probe as your monitoring software, download the latest version of
CoreTemp to check on the die temps of your CPU and SpeedFan for anything
else.

You give no particulars about the case cooling. If the case were minimally
cooled then you running Prime may have created a lot of heat that was then
stored in the air in the case, as well as all the other components. However,
that wouldn't explain the temps the second time around.

Also, you don't mention ambient temps. Was it 40°C cooler this morning?
--
TTFN,

Shaun.

Old December 8th 07, 02:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_8_]

Somewhere on teh interweb Emerald Saint typed:
You can put an ordinary thermometer in the case just for a test. Maybe a
good way to calibrate the case temp monitor.

I have used ASUS Probe a lot. I notice CPU and Mainboard temps have
shifted 10 deg C - maybe more - for no reason. This on two different
ASUS P4P800SE machines at different times. I don't think there is
any actual temp difference - it is the sensor or Probe utility. The
shifts occurred after more than1 year of use. Temp also shifts back.
These changes are all long-term. But it's 10 or 15 deg C changes -
not hot like you say.

I find that, often after updating the motherboard BIOS, the temps in ASUS
Probe change. They periodically change the software correction factor (which
is part of the BIOS) (hysteresis?) of the thermistor output in an attempt to
more accurately display the actual temp. For instance, a BIOS update on my
P5K-E last week raised the reading in Asus PC Probe II for the CPU by about
20°C from what it reading before the update. (Niether is correct, earlier it
was ~15°C low, now it's ~5°C high).
--
TTFN,

Shaun.

Old December 8th 07, 03:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 15:29:23 +1300, "~misfit~"
wrote:

Somewhere on teh interweb jack typed:
Hello,

I recently built a new system around an Asus P5E (bios 402), C2D
E6850, ATI 2600 XT, and a CoolerMaster 534 case.

You give no particulars about the case cooling. If the case were minimally
cooled then you running Prime may have created a lot of heat that was then
stored in the air in the case, as well as all the other components. However,
that wouldn't explain the temps the second time around.

Also, you don't mention ambient temps. Was it 40°C cooler this morning?

If that Coolermaster case didn't come with a rear exhaust
fan (I vaguely recall reading some review where it might've
had a fan in front of the HDD bay but not the rear exhaust
fan), it would be good to either move the front fan to the
rear (assuming it is the same, 120mm size) or buy a fan to
place in the rear.

If it has the two vertical mesh panels with the solid front
as intake, and those mesh panels have foam filter inserts
behind them, this foam will also significantly reduce
airflow... even moreso after it begins to get clogged with
dust. I like filtered cases but so many of them implement
the filter poorly.
Old December 8th 07, 05:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware
Kent_Diego

".....
If that Coolermaster case didn't come with a rear exhaust
fan (I vaguely recall reading some review where it might've
had a fan in front of the HDD bay but not the rear exhaust
fan), it would be good to either move the front fan to the
rear (assuming it is the same, 120mm size) or buy a fan to
place in the rear.

I really like having the fan in the front. It blows air over the hard drives
keeping them cool. The cooler your hard drive, the longer it lasts. I just
got a new Cooler Master case and it came with one rear exhaust fan. I
removed the front cover and re-located fan there. The Cooler Master cases
have ample venting in back for exhaust. The OP's problem is related to his
temperature sensors/monitoring software and not actual overheating.

Old December 8th 07, 10:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 09:07:24 -0800, "Kent_Diego"
wrote:

".....
If that Coolermaster case didn't come with a rear exhaust
fan (I vaguely recall reading some review where it might've
had a fan in front of the HDD bay but not the rear exhaust
fan), it would be good to either move the front fan to the
rear (assuming it is the same, 120mm size) or buy a fan to
place in the rear.

I really like having the fan in the front. It blows air over the hard drives
keeping them cool. The cooler your hard drive, the longer it lasts. I just
got a new Cooler Master case and it came with one rear exhaust fan. I
removed the front cover and re-located fan there. The Cooler Master cases
have ample venting in back for exhaust. The OP's problem is related to his
temperature sensors/monitoring software and not actual overheating.

A HDD in front can be useful, particularly with their
ill-conceived HDD bay that is turned sideways for easier
access instead of better HDD cooling, BUT that fan should
not be added until _after_ a rear chassis fan is used, it
should always be the 3rd fan added after PSU and rear
chassis exhaust.

My case is hot enough to cook a turkey jack[_3_] Asus Motherboards 31 December 15th 07 12:27 AM
Turkey Day measekite Printers 8 November 26th 05 05:51 AM
Where is Ron Cook? Aaron General Hardware 1 June 1st 04 01:54 AM
Where is Ron Cook? Michael P Gabriel General Hardware 0 May 29th 04 08:16 PM
My 3820 now a Dead Turkey? Angelo Campanella Printers 2 December 29th 03 08:53 PM