Building a fast computer

Old December 3rd 07, 04:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Charles

Default Building a fast computer

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about building myself a fast computer. I'd like to know
how I could store the BIOS initialization for good so that every time
I start the computer, it just loads this BIOS config in a blink of an
eye instead of initializing everything over and over again. Maybe I
could store it in an eprom or to a flash memory somewhere? Here's what
I have in mind: Use a regular Ultra 360 SCSI 74GiB drive for
documents, use a Gigabyte i-Ram 4GiB drive for the core OS (should
load the whole OS in 2-3 secs maximum). So, basically I want to reduce
the time between the moment I power on and the moment the computer
starts loading the OS. The Quick Mode isn't fast enough. I want to
power on, and to see the desktop manager in 2-3 seconds. How could I
do that?
Please let me know how you would do that. Also, if you have
suggestions, please let me know!
Thanks,

--
Charles.
Old December 3rd 07, 05:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

"Charles" wrote in message
[...]

I am not famliar with the i-Ram device, but loading the OS won't be down to
2-3 seconds. There is processing to be done too during boot - not just hard
disk access. I doubt whether you could improve the boot time signifacntly
over a hard disk within a 'normal' budget.

As I said in a reply on your other post - investiage hibernate for fast
startup.

Old December 3rd 07, 05:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

"Charles" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, and I should have said - the BIOS is an eeprom already, so moving it to
an eprom won't speed anything up!

Old December 3rd 07, 05:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

"Charles" wrote in message
[...]

It's REAAAAALLY easy to do...

Use the MONITOR power switch instead of the PC power switch.

(in other words, don't turn the PC off)

Old December 3rd 07, 06:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 08:58:43 -0800 (PST), Charles
wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about building myself a fast computer. I'd like to know
how I could store the BIOS initialization for good so that every time
I start the computer, it just loads this BIOS config in a blink of an
eye instead of initializing everything over and over again.

Which can't work, because it has to initialize. That's how
the bios is written, if you want something else then start
writing bios and once you get that done, THEN you can figure
out the fastest way to load it.

Maybe I
could store it in an eprom or to a flash memory somewhere? Here's what
I have in mind: Use a regular Ultra 360 SCSI 74GiB drive for
documents, use a Gigabyte i-Ram 4GiB drive for the core OS (should
load the whole OS in 2-3 secs maximum).

Once you've rewritten the bios, just rewrite the OS so you
can do that, and you'll be off to a good start.

So, basically I want to reduce
the time between the moment I power on and the moment the computer
starts loading the OS.

Who wouldn't?

The Quick Mode isn't fast enough.

It's not a problem. You're just impatient and it's not as
though you can't just press the power button a minute or two
before you need to use the system instead of 3 seconds
before then.

I want to
power on, and to see the desktop manager in 2-3 seconds. How could I
do that?

See above, or pay someone to design this proprietary system.

Please let me know how you would do that. Also, if you have
suggestions, please let me know!
Thanks,

.... and I'd like a toaster where the toast was brown the
moment the lever hit the bottom of it's travel, but it's not
going to happen.
Old December 3rd 07, 06:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Charles

On Dec 3, 2:25 pm, "Noozer" wrote:
It's REAAAAALLY easy to do...

Use the MONITOR power switch instead of the PC power switch.

Damn, I didn't think about this one, and it's in my budget

--
Charles.
Old December 3rd 07, 06:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Charles

On Dec 3, 3:26 pm, kony wrote:
... and I'd like a toaster where the toast was brown the
moment the lever hit the bottom of it's travel, but it's not
going to happen.

Hey, you never know :P

--
Charles.
Old December 3rd 07, 08:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

wrote:

I'm thinking about building myself a fast computer. I'd like to know
how I could store the BIOS initialization for good so that every time
I start the computer, it just loads this BIOS config in a blink of an
eye instead of initializing everything over and over again.

[snip]
... and I'd like a toaster where the toast was brown the
moment the lever hit the bottom of it's travel, but it's not
going to happen.

I'm sure I've seen one of these...

Might be at the beginning of 'The Naked Gun' - guy holds bread in the
afterburner of an F16 on a steam catapult on an aircraft carrier. Instant
toast. Possibly not practical for the average kitchen or budget, but this
just prooved that such a device does exist!

Old December 3rd 07, 10:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Don Burnette

"Charles" wrote in message
On Dec 3, 2:25 pm, "Noozer" wrote:
It's REAAAAALLY easy to do...

Use the MONITOR power switch instead of the PC power switch.

Damn, I didn't think about this one, and it's in my budget

--

Or alternatively, suspend to ram.
Bypasses a lot of the start up bios stuff, and can get back to where you

--
Don