Wooden PC

Old November 30th 07, 01:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

Default Wooden PC

I'm thinking of building a wooden PC: Wooden case, Wooden CPU - Wooden go!!

Seriously - what is wrong with a wooden PC case? I'm thinking of making
myself one to replace my ageing metal case, which has more holes cut in it
than a colander. I would use the metal, slide out backing 'tray' for the
motherboard. Do I need to consider earthing everything, or is everything
earthed via its various feeding power cables (I suspect not). Where should I
earth things to - the power supply outer casing, or a point inside the PSU?

I expect it will muffle noise better than a metal case. There will be no
vibrations. It will be easier (for me) to work with when expanding /
adapting to new equipment. I can design a careful airflow. I'm thinking of
putting the hard disks in a compartment with the PSU. I'll have a front
vent(s), so the PSU fan at the rear will draw air over the drives and out
through the back. I'll have a second compartment for the motherboard area,
with the CPU fan drawing air in directly from the room, through a duct from
the side of the case, then I'll need just 1 large, quiet exhaust fan or
maybe even just a vents/holes as the CPU fan will draw in room temperature
air and force the compartment to fill with air, thereby pressurising the
compartment and forcing air out through an exhaust point.

Any thoughts / ideas / considerations?

Old November 30th 07, 03:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 13:59:44 -0000, "GT"
wrote:

I'm thinking of building a wooden PC: Wooden case, Wooden CPU - Wooden go!!

Seriously - what is wrong with a wooden PC case? I'm thinking of making
myself one to replace my ageing metal case, which has more holes cut in it
than a colander. I would use the metal, slide out backing 'tray' for the
motherboard. Do I need to consider earthing everything, or is everything
earthed via its various feeding power cables (I suspect not). Where should I
earth things to - the power supply outer casing, or a point inside the PSU?

Everything is grounded by the power leads. Using wood you
will not have EMI trapping but if no other devices nearby
have a problem with this it should be an acceptible result.

I expect it will muffle noise better than a metal case. There will be no
vibrations.

True

It will be easier (for me) to work with when expanding /
adapting to new equipment.

?? How so when a metal case is designed for standard
components?

I can design a careful airflow. I'm thinking of
putting the hard disks in a compartment with the PSU. I'll have a front
vent(s), so the PSU fan at the rear will draw air over the drives and out
through the back. I'll have a second compartment for the motherboard area,
with the CPU fan drawing air in directly from the room, through a duct from
the side of the case, then I'll need just 1 large, quiet exhaust fan or
maybe even just a vents/holes as the CPU fan will draw in room temperature
air and force the compartment to fill with air, thereby pressurising the
compartment and forcing air out through an exhaust point.

Any thoughts / ideas / considerations?

Over time the heat will dry out the wood, consider oiling it
but that might make it smell funny for awhile. Otherwise
the main issue is the large # of calculations and precise
cuts to make everything fit, though using an existing
motherboard try will make that easier.

Old November 30th 07, 04:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

wrote:

[...]

Was simply thinking long term - as I evolve the PC and move fans / intakes
etc around the case (as I have with my metal case over the last 12+ years),
I can just replace a side if there are too many holes! My metal case is now
littered with holes and folded bits of metal (don't have any snips - just a
hack saw!).

[...]

This isn't to make it look nice, its for fun!. If it takes ages (and it will
with a baby in the house and no time to even breath!), then I'm not
bothered! I'm thinking of MDF, so don't think that will dry out. I'm even
considering building it onto the underside of my desk. It is a corner desk
with metal underframe, so has good, strong mounting points. The project
would be well out of potential knee banging zone, would clear a bit of
floorspace, tidy cables up off the floor. I might even extend the front
panel lights/buttons and get them onto the top of the desk, perhaps even
recessed!. Its just a win-win really! Now where do I locate that internal
DVD drive...

Old November 30th 07, 04:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Hi!

Seriously - what is wrong with a wooden PC case?

If designed properly and well thought out, absolutely nothing. And
you'll have a computer case that is all your own and stands out from
the crowd. I have some wooden cased computers and they get a lot of
comments.

I would go ahead and run a ground wire from the case of the PSU to the
other metal components in the case when you have built it. It
certainly won't hurt anything to do this and chances are your current
case is completely grounded right now (if it is plugged into a
properly grounded outlet) by way of the power supply's metal case
being held against the case metal.

I expect it will muffle noise better than a metal case.
There will be no vibrations.

Wood tends to conduct sound fairly well and does so differently from
metal. I agree with your assessment that the wood case will be quieter
than a metal one, but I think you might hear noises you haven't heard
before.

I can design a careful airflow.

It sounds like you've thought that out very carefully.

Any thoughts / ideas / considerations?

There is really only one thing I could suggest adding or thinking
about. Sometimes computer hardware fails, and sometimes those failures
are violent. I'm sure many posters here could talk about hardware that
has for some reason or another gone "pop" or released its magic smoke.
I really doubt all but the most serious component failures would cause
a fire, but with a wood case this is something you will have to think
about. Air flow might only fan the flames if a fire gets started. I
would try to shield the motherboard at the outer edges, or mount a
sheet metal square on the side of the case that will face the
motherboard's component when it is all closed up and built. That way
if something does go "pop" or gets too hot, it will direct that heat
toward the metal and not the wood.

For power supplies and disk drives, mounting them in appropriate metal
cages that hold them a few inches from the wood case in every
direction should be fine.
Old November 30th 07, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

"Fergus" wrote in message

"GT" wrote in message
[...]

That is the Ferarri to the Skoda I was planning!!

Old November 30th 07, 04:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Fergus[_2_]

"GT" wrote in message
"Fergus" wrote in message

"GT" wrote in message
[...]

sorry the Skoda is

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1233/

Old November 30th 07, 05:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

"Fergus" wrote in message

"GT" wrote in message
"Fergus" wrote in message

"GT" wrote in message
[...]

Hmm - Perhaps I was thinking 'Fiat' then, but definitely not Ferrari and
whatever it is, it will be fixed to the underside of my corner desk - out of
sight!

Old November 30th 07, 05:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/62/1/

Old November 30th 07, 05:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Fergus[_2_]

"GT" wrote in message

"Fergus" wrote in message

"GT" wrote in message
[...]