dimension 4550 for w98?

Old May 12th 06, 11:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default dimension 4550 for w98?

need to run w98 se on the dimension 4550

where to get drivers for it and what drivers I have to look for in
fact?
did not find anything useful on dell website

Old May 12th 06, 12:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Otto Sykora" wrote in message
need to run w98 se on the dimension 4550

where to get drivers for it and what drivers I have to look for in
fact?
did not find anything useful on dell website

Good luck, as it's not advisable.

Try WinMe drivers where possible and cross your fingers.......

Stew

Old May 12th 06, 01:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

The 4550 has an Intel 845 chipset, for which the chipset drivers are available
on the Intel web site. Same for video and audio drivers, I think. Not sure
what the network chip is, but there may be Win 98 drivers for it, too. This is
a challenge, but it may not be impossible... Ben Myers

Old May 12th 06, 07:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

OK, where to take ME drivers?

I tried some nVidia drivers, found some driver for the monitor on the
dell website.

However I am not sure what nVidia it is, it is not detected .

I have installed the driver from nvidia website, stating it is for w98
as well. It did install somehow, the monitor driver from dell did also
install somehow, but now I am stuck as the setting of the resolution
can not be done anyway. It says I have the nvidia 4200 at dell 1800df,
but when I try to change the resolution away from standard vga, it
jumps back to vga , no help.

anybody with some experience on that?

I really need the w98 running, since this has still full operational
and accessible dos in it.

I am surprised that not even some standard windows drivers do work
here, all seems to be somehow blocked by dell??

need particularly driver for the nvidia but I am not sure which one it
is and want to get it work with the dell monitor 1800df which came
with box.

Old May 12th 06, 08:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

if i were yo, i would boot off of a portable operating system like
bartpe, and then look at what it says are all the devices, since it will
know. why wouldnt you just install xp or win2000? instead of ME.
ME is a terrible operating system.

Old May 12th 06, 08:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Jay B" wrote in message ...
if i were yo, i would boot off of a portable operating system like bartpe,
and then look at what it says are all the devices, since it will know.
why wouldnt you just install xp or win2000? instead of ME.
ME is a terrible operating system.

He's installing Win98, not WinMe.

Old May 12th 06, 08:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

i saw that after i posted,
why win98 or ME?
a 4550 should be strong enough to handle win2k or xp very nicely.

Old May 13th 06, 12:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

wrote:

need to run w98 se on the dimension 4550

where to get drivers for it and what drivers I have to look for in
fact?
did not find anything useful on dell website

I'm not sure why you need to do anything. I needed Win98 for some of
my old programs that would not run with XP Pro. I partitioned part of
a drive to use FAT32, set up dual-boot, and I was off and running. My
computer worked just fine without messing with video drivers, etc. I
wonder if you are making this too hard?
Old May 13th 06, 12:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

wrote:

need to run w98 se on the dimension 4550

where to get drivers for it and what drivers I have to look for in
fact?
did not find anything useful on dell website

I'm not sure why you need to do anything. I needed Win98 for some of
my old programs that would not run with XP Pro. I partitioned part of
a drive to use FAT32, set up dual-boot, and I was off and running. My
computer worked just fine without messing with video drivers, etc. I
wonder if you are making this too hard?

Of course I should have added that I installed Win98 on the FAT32
partition. The installation took care of whatever drivers I needed.