Keyboard just stopped working - Inspiron 2650 notebook

Old March 31st 06, 03:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Keyboard just stopped working - Inspiron 2650 notebook

Hi,

My wife has a Dell Inspiron 2650 notebook that she uses here at home. This
machine has led a pretty easy life - it never leaves her desk and is mostly
just an email and web PC. We've owned it since it came from the factory, so
I know its life-long, trouble-free history.

The other day the keyboard just stopped working. Dead, Nada. None of the
keys work and I can't figure out why. I plug a keyboard in the PS2 port on
the back and that works fine, but my wife definitely hates having an
external keyboard. (Too much clutter, that's why she wanted a laptop in
the first place.) So I need to figure out a solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do or anything I can check?
This is truly puzzling. Is it possible for the keyboard to simply quit
working?

Any and all suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance.
Keith

Old March 31st 06, 03:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"KWA" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Keith,

Sure is possible. You'll want to call Dell Spare Parts at 1-800-357-3355 to
price a replacement. Last one I bought was less than $30 including shipping
and tax.

There are installation documents available he

http://support.dell.com/support/syst...&s=dhs&~cat=12

By model, then look for the user's guide/service manuals.

Stew

Old March 31st 06, 04:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"KWA" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks, Stew, for the quick response. I will give them a call.

Keith

You're most welcome. Way outside chance it could be the controller on the
system board, but almost surely is just a kb failure.

Good luck.

Stew

Old March 31st 06, 04:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 02:44:04 GMT, "KWA" wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do or anything I can check?
This is truly puzzling. Is it possible for the keyboard to simply quit
working?

Hi Keith,

I doubt this will be very helpful to you but here is what I would do.
Sometimes in the process of doing all this things magically start
working again.

I would first look at all bios options. If there is something related
to keyboards in even an indirect fashion, I might turn it off and
boot, then restart, turn it back on and reboot.

I would boot up into SAFE mode, and see if it works there.

Actually the first thing that I would do is go into the device manager
and see if anything is flagged.

It's amazing how many computer problems I have solved or got more
insights into by "kludging around" with it. (I know, I am making all
you technical experts groan lol).

Journey

P.S. -- one final and very important step:

If none of the above works, I would take a BIG hammer and BANG on the
keyboard until you loosen up all of the keys -- make sure you bang
firmly and evenly over all of them.
Old March 31st 06, 04:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Journey,

Interesting idea on looking in the BIOS. I will do that. Also trying Safe
Mode. Good idea as well. I will do both tomorrow.

I did look at Device Manager under Keyboard. It just shows a generic 102
key keyboard item, so I assume that is OK.

Thanks for the good ideas. I will try that while also calling Dell about a
new keyboard.

Keith

Old March 31st 06, 06:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 03:40:03 GMT, "KWA" wrote:

Journey,

Interesting idea on looking in the BIOS. I will do that. Also trying Safe
Mode. Good idea as well. I will do both tomorrow.

I did look at Device Manager under Keyboard. It just shows a generic 102
key keyboard item, so I assume that is OK.

Thanks for the good ideas. I will try that while also calling Dell about a
new keyboard.

Keith

Sounds good. Please let us know what you find out.

Journey