Any source for Seagate Freeagent enclosures?

Old September 30th 07, 03:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Any source for Seagate Freeagent enclosures?

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:55:01 GMT Noozer wrote:

| I really like the style of the Seagate Freeagent external drives, but I
| don't need any more drives. Is there any source for the enclosures without
| drives?

The drive inside is almost certain to have a native SATA interface, with a
USB to SATA adaptor as part of the enclosure. Otherwise, it would not have
very good performance when connected via SATA. Would it be another SATA
drive that you contemplate putting inside? USB-only enclosures might have
IDE inside, instead of SATA. So if you have existing USB-only external
drives, the drive inside of existing ones might not be compatible with the
Freeagent enclosure (IDE vs. SATA).

The following approach avoids the risk of incompatibility, as well as the
risk of damage to the plastics of the enclosure you like, since it might
not be so easy to get open:

Buy a brand new Seagate Freeagent external drive. Transfer your data from
an existing drive of equal or smaller size. Do a sector security erase of
the old drive (don't just delete files). Sell the old drive.

| first name lower case at ipal.net / |
Old September 30th 07, 09:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message Fl8Ei.137436$rX4.33288@pd7urf2no "Noozer"
wrote:

I really like the style of the Seagate Freeagent external drives, but I
don't need any more drives. Is there any source for the enclosures without
drives?

What's it worth to ya? Which enclosure are you looking for?

I'm looking for a couple new Seagate drives, I could buy the freeagent
drive and extract the drive from inside...

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old December 6th 07, 04:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
DevilsPGD[_2_]

wrote:

I really like the style of the Seagate Freeagent external drives, but I
don't need any more drives. Is there any source for the enclosures without
drives?

What's it worth to ya? Which enclosure are you looking for?

I'm looking for a couple new Seagate drives, I could buy the freeagent
drive and extract the drive from inside...

FWIW, I picked up one of their enclosures a few days ago, as a USB 2.0
drive it's fantastic, but the eSATA half is slow and reports tons of
errors. This appears to be a common experience.

If you're just looking for USB2.0 support, I can ship out an enclosure
relatively cheap, I'll pull the drive and use it in another project.
Old December 7th 07, 02:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

I really like the style of the Seagate Freeagent external drives, but I
don't need any more drives. Is there any source for the enclosures
without
drives?

FWIW, I picked up one of their enclosures a few days ago, as a USB 2.0
drive it's fantastic, but the eSATA half is slow and reports tons of
errors. This appears to be a common experience.

If you're just looking for USB2.0 support, I can ship out an enclosure
relatively cheap, I'll pull the drive and use it in another project.

As much as I'd like to have it, it's probably not worth the effort of
packing it up and shipping to Canada.

You can email me at " public @ csd . ca " if you have any idea on how much
you'd like, plus shipping to Calgary, AB, Canada.