not all my memory being recognised - doh!

Old November 2nd 07, 06:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
simon humby

Default not all my memory being recognised - doh!

Hi everybody!

After a hard disk crash, a reinstall of XP and late night (probably a bad
idea) reset of the CMOS to it's defaults I'm slowly clawing my way back out
of PC hell.
Most things are working now but my P5VD2-MX motherboard is only recognising
1 Gig of the 2 Gig I've got.
Each 1 Gig mem module works ok on it's own. But when I put them both in the
system only reports 1 Gig in total.

Any help deeply appreciated!

thanks

Old November 3rd 07, 02:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

simon humby wrote:
Hi everybody!

After a hard disk crash, a reinstall of XP and late night (probably a bad
idea) reset of the CMOS to it's defaults I'm slowly clawing my way back out
of PC hell.
Most things are working now but my P5VD2-MX motherboard is only recognising
1 Gig of the 2 Gig I've got.
Each 1 Gig mem module works ok on it's own. But when I put them both in the
system only reports 1 Gig in total.

Any help deeply appreciated!

thanks

1) Try stick #1 in slot 1 and slot 2. Does the machine report 1GB in each case ?
This step is proving that both slots work.

2) Try stick #2 in one of the slots. Does the second stick report as 1GB ?
(This is finishing the testing, by proving that both sticks work.)

3) Are the sticks identical brand/model, or a mixture of different products ?
What happens if you install both sticks, but swap the sockets used for each ?

Total: Five test cases.

If I had to guess, I'd suspect a stick of RAM is not making good contact
with a socket. I don't see a good reason for the BIOS to be disabling
a stick of RAM, just out of spite.

Perhaps the memory would be disabled, if it failed during the POST RAM
test. But then, a bad stick of RAM, should also fail by itself, and lead
to "bad RAM" beeping and no video on the screen, if it was installed by
itself and it didn't work properly.

Paul

Old November 4th 07, 06:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

simon humby wrote:
"simon humby" wrote

After a hard disk crash, a reinstall of XP and late night
(probably a bad idea) reset of the CMOS to it's defaults I'm
slowly clawing my way back out of PC hell. Most things are
working now but my P5VD2-MX motherboard is only recognising 1
Gig of the 2 Gig I've got. Each 1 Gig mem module works ok on
it's own. But when I put them both in the system only reports
1 Gig in total.

all fixed now

Completely pointless without including a description of the fix.

http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Try the download section.

Old November 5th 07, 02:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

"simon humby" wrote

After a hard disk crash, a reinstall of XP and late night
(probably a bad idea) reset of the CMOS to it's defaults I'm
slowly clawing my way back out of PC hell. Most things are
working now but my P5VD2-MX motherboard is only recognising 1
Gig of the 2 Gig I've got. Each 1 Gig mem module works ok on
it's own. But when I put them both in the system only reports
1 Gig in total.

all fixed now

Thanks for sharing the solution.

Old November 6th 07, 02:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

"CBFalconer" wrote in message
simon humby wrote:
"simon humby" wrote

After a hard disk crash, a reinstall of XP and late night
(probably a bad idea) reset of the CMOS to it's defaults I'm
slowly clawing my way back out of PC hell. Most things are
working now but my P5VD2-MX motherboard is only recognising 1
Gig of the 2 Gig I've got. Each 1 Gig mem module works ok on
it's own. But when I put them both in the system only reports
1 Gig in total.

all fixed now

Completely pointless without including a description of the fix.

Not pointless - he has told us that he no longer requires help and we don't
need to spend any more time on the problem for him!