Overclocking Asus 9800 XT

Old December 21st 03, 01:42 PM
Tiny Tim

Default Overclocking Asus 9800 XT

Hello,

just wondering how much others can overclock this card.

Mine doesn't overclock at all: stock= 412/365, highest overclock without
artifacts= 425/375 (Rage 3D tweak).

Regards

Old December 21st 03, 07:38 PM
Strontium

-
Tiny Tim stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

Hello,

just wondering how much others can overclock this card.

Mine doesn't overclock at all: stock= 412/365, highest overclock
without artifacts= 425/375 (Rage 3D tweak).

Highest I got was 430/390. Even after modding the the back heatsink that is
covering the memory.

Regards

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old December 21st 03, 08:29 PM
BigBadger

Most of the hardware sites got much less in the way of overclocking out of
the Asus 9800XT compared to the cards fitted with the ATI stock cooling
design...That's why I went for a 'made by' ATI card. How well it overclocks
I don't know...it has not arrived yet!!!
It's a shame because the Asus looks so trick..twin fans heat pipe and all.

. ..

Old December 22nd 03, 10:09 AM
Tiny Tim

Highest I got was 430/390. Even after modding the the back heatsink that

is
covering the memory.

I've got an open case, 2 large casefans (11 cm diameter). One blowing over
the back of the card and one pulling air away from the front (and cooling
harddisks). Asus smartdoctor shows temps GPU/RAM - 42/38 in Windows and
48/44 when running UT2K3.

I can't understand that I can't get a higher overclock with such relatively
low temperatures.

I don't think ASUS's cooling solution is the problem either.

Old December 22nd 03, 12:26 PM
Strontium

-
, and said:

I've got an open case, 2 large casefans (11 cm diameter). One blowing
over the back of the card and one pulling air away from the front
(and cooling harddisks). Asus smartdoctor shows temps GPU/RAM - 42/38
in Windows and 48/44 when running UT2K3.

I can't understand that I can't get a higher overclock with such
relatively low temperatures.

I don't think ASUS's cooling solution is the problem either.

Me, either. I'm thinking that the memory used is the issue. But, my max
overclock of the memory went up to 390 from 375 after the mod to the
heatsink. And, I've got an XPider full tower (2x90mm 'in' front, 2x90mm
'out' back, 1x120mm 'out' PSU above CPU, 1x90mm 'out' back of PSU, 1x80mm
'in' blowing directly on card from side).

Haven't cared enough to remove the heatsink and see exactly what memory, is
on the card. My performance gain, from my max overclock, was not stunning.
The card is fast enough, at stock, for me. And stable, as Hell. Which is
why I chose Asus. Always nice quality PCB. Just wanted to see what this
biatch would do

Old December 22nd 03, 03:47 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Strontium" wrote
Me, either. I'm thinking that the memory used is the issue. But, my max
overclock of the memory went up to 390 from 375 after the mod to the
heatsink. And, I've got an XPider full tower (2x90mm 'in' front, 2x90mm
'out' back, 1x120mm 'out' PSU above CPU, 1x90mm 'out' back of PSU, 1x80mm
'in' blowing directly on card from side).

Haven't cared enough to remove the heatsink and see exactly what memory,

is
on the card. My performance gain, from my max overclock, was not

stunning.
The card is fast enough, at stock, for me. And stable, as Hell. Which is
why I chose Asus. Always nice quality PCB. Just wanted to see what this
biatch would do

Hi Strontium,
do I take it your upgraded your 9700Pro (Powercolour) to a ASUS 9800XT?
--
Wayne ][

Old December 22nd 03, 06:38 PM
Mark Bell

"Tiny Tim" spewed forth in such a glorious tone the following
gruel:

Hello,

just wondering how much others can overclock this card.

Mine doesn't overclock at all: stock= 412/365, highest overclock without
artifacts= 425/375 (Rage 3D tweak).

I am running an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro @ 430/360 with stock cooling. I have
a VGA Silencer on the way, since it seems to really drop the temps versus
the stock HSF on the 9800 Pro. I also have some RAM HS's on the way too
for good measure ($5, I mean, dang).

Only problem on the 9800 Pro's it seems the Samsung memory bottoms out
usually pretty quick, so I am concentrating on the GPU. I can run it
@ 470/360, but it is artifact city, so hopefully the cooling will
help.

When the cooling supplies come in, I will start the process all over by
testing GPU first then the mem, then together to find their sweet spot.

But for a retail ATI Radeon 9800 Pro $299.95 card (on sale @ Circuit City)
hitting 430/360 out of the box (and hitting 470/360, but with artifacts and
serious heat issues), I can't complain.

P4-3.2EE @ 3520mhz (FSB=220, Stock 1.55v 49c Max Load)
SONY GDM-F520 21" Trinitron Monitor
ASUS P4C800-E Motherboard + Creative SB Audigy Platinum
Corsair PC3500 (DDR433) @ DDR440 (1:1) 2-3-2-7
Maxtor Ultra/133 8mb cache Gold Series 120GB HD
See it at: http://home.comcast.net/~electrosoft...ydesktop3.html
Old December 22nd 03, 08:51 PM
Strontium

-
Wayne Youngman stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

"Strontium" wrote
Me, either. I'm thinking that the memory used is the issue. But,
my max overclock of the memory went up to 390 from 375 after the mod
to the heatsink. And, I've got an XPider full tower (2x90mm 'in'
front, 2x90mm 'out' back, 1x120mm 'out' PSU above CPU, 1x90mm 'out'
back of PSU, 1x80mm 'in' blowing directly on card from side).

Haven't cared enough to remove the heatsink and see exactly what
memory, is on the card. My performance gain, from my max overclock,
was not stunning. The card is fast enough, at stock, for me. And
stable, as Hell. Which is why I chose Asus. Always nice quality
PCB. Just wanted to see what this biatch would do

Hi Strontium,
do I take it your upgraded your 9700Pro (Powercolour) to a ASUS
9800XT?

Sorta....Powercolor 9700"Non"Pro to Asus 9800XT But, also upped the
processor to a P4 3.0C at the same time. Just got my 21" CRT too. Talk
about gaming heaven!