Inspiron 4000 video problems

Old March 28th 05, 03:52 PM
dwilli

Default Inspiron 4000 video problems

Problem: 4 yr. old Inspiron , Win xp pro w/sp2. 20ghz hd, 766 mz, 512mb ram.
Sometimes when I turn it on the screen just has all squiggly lines (moving).
It actually boots up because if you enter the correct password, etc. after
waiting you can hear the XP startup midi(?)-file but can't see anything. It
reminds me of an old TV when you'd adjust the vert. or horizontal hold knob
all the way to one end. Eventually after repeated shut-offs it will boot ok
OR sometimes if I rap it real hard a couple times on the bottom (on what I
believe is the hard drive, 3" x 5" screwed-on plate) and turn it on it'll
come on. (I've also succeeded by dropping it flat, closed position, on a
table from a height of about 2 inches)It's then good for about 2-3 weeks
(daily use) before it happens again.

Question: Is this possibly my hard drive? or maybe video card gone bad? I
tried updating the drivers from Dell's website...didn't do anything. It
doesn't owe me anything but I'm giving it to my daughter for college and I
hate to be "make-shift tech support" while she's 3 hours away.

Thanks in advance,
Dale

Old March 28th 05, 05:26 PM
Christopher Muto

likely just a loose video cable. remove the keyboard and remove/reseat the
video cable.
detailed instructions on how to disassembly can be found in the 'service
manual' available under documentation at support.dell.com

"dwilli" wrote in message
[...]

Newbie: OC Advice: AMDXP2200 CPU Donald Bock Overclocking AMD Processors 2 March 12th 05 01:14 AM
Game freezes system - possible ATI issue? Blaedmon Ati Videocards 1 February 12th 05 06:20 PM
New Radeon 9600 Pro - No Direct3D support? Scott Smith Ati Videocards 7 September 28th 04 04:50 PM
Video problems? Kedrid General 0 February 11th 04 08:32 PM
Problems with Linksys WPC11 and Inspiron 1100 Bob Schor Dell Computers 5 November 2nd 03 07:11 PM