Windows media player on dell

Old March 27th 05, 06:21 PM
kendra

Default Windows media player on dell

I got a new pc from dell and windows media player just won't play anything
and tells me there is an error and needs to close asking me to send a report
to microsoft. Whether I agree or not, it closes.I' wondering what to do?
thanx for your advice
kendra

Old March 27th 05, 07:32 PM
Dan Sgambelluri

What does the error message say?
What file types do you play that would get this error?
Did you install the new Windows Media Player?

. uk...

Old March 27th 05, 08:34 PM
S.Lewis

"Dan Sgambelluri" wrote in message
What does the error message say?
What file types do you play that would get this error?
Did you install the new Windows Media Player?

As a first guess, I'd think that WMP is not listed as the default program
for the OPs audio files. Likely that Music Match or Dell Media Experience
or some other program has grabbed the audio files and changed their file
associations.....

Stew

Old March 27th 05, 09:23 PM
Dan Sgambelluri

maybe but I doubt it though as I have been able to use WMP to listen to mp3s
even though Winamp is my default player.

. ..

Old March 27th 05, 09:50 PM
tonys

why dont you just go to mircosofts web site and download media play 10 and
reinstall it......

how easy can it be....

. uk...

Old March 27th 05, 10:13 PM
Nicholas Andrade

tonys wrote:
why dont you just go to mircosofts web site and download media play 10 and
reinstall it......

how easy can it be....

"kendra" wrote in message
. uk...

I got a new pc from dell and windows media player just won't play anything
and tells me there is an error and needs to close asking me to send a
report
to microsoft. Whether I agree or not, it closes.I' wondering what to do?
thanx for your advice
kendra

Or a better media player like vlc, media player classic, or mplayer
(google any of those for links to their sites).
Old March 28th 05, 06:32 AM
Time Teamer

"Nicholas Andrade" wrote in message
tonys wrote:
why dont you just go to mircosofts web site and download media play 10
and reinstall it......

how easy can it be....

"kendra" wrote in message
. uk...

I got a new pc from dell and windows media player just won't play
anything
and tells me there is an error and needs to close asking me to send a
report
to microsoft. Whether I agree or not, it closes.I' wondering what to do?
thanx for your advice
kendra

Or a better media player like vlc, media player classic, or mplayer
(google any of those for links to their sites).

that's your opinion, obviously, in the hands of a competent person WMP10 is
very good.

dj

Old March 28th 05, 06:54 AM
kendra

"tonys" wrote in message
why dont you just go to mircosofts web site and download media play 10 and
reinstall it......

how easy can it be....

"kendra" wrote in message
. uk...
I got a new pc from dell and windows media player just won't play anything
and tells me there is an error and needs to close asking me to send a
report
to microsoft. Whether I agree or not, it closes.I' wondering what to do?
thanx for your advice
kendra

Thanx but I did that. Also uninstalled and reinstalled wmp from the control
panel, resatrted the pc several times when asked to, etc. The only thing it
seems I haven't done is a system restore and I'm not sure that will be any
good but in the hope that I did something that somehow stopped it from
working.
Thanx tho it seems there's no simple answer. I do have a couple of other
players but I had just got used to wmp
Kendra

Old March 28th 05, 08:34 AM
Nicholas Andrade

tonys wrote:

why dont you just go to mircosofts web site and download media play 10
and reinstall it......

how easy can it be....

"kendra" wrote in message
. co.uk...

I got a new pc from dell and windows media player just won't play
anything
and tells me there is an error and needs to close asking me to send a
report
to microsoft. Whether I agree or not, it closes.I' wondering what to do?
thanx for your advice
kendra

Or a better media player like vlc, media player classic, or mplayer
(google any of those for links to their sites).

that's your opinion, obviously, in the hands of a competent person WMP10 is
very good.

dj

You're correct, it's my opinion; I find WMP bloated (which is hard to
deny) and I much prefer shell controlled media players. It should also
be noted mplayer (under x86) plays far more file types than WMP
(including but support for real audio/video and quicktime). Actually I
like WMP a lot more than both RealPlayer or Quicktime, but I prefer any
of the 3 I mentioned in my previous post more than WMP.