Choosing an ATX case and P4 motherboard

Old July 12th 04, 12:18 AM
Mals

Default Choosing an ATX case and P4 motherboard

I need some help in choosing a case for an ATX motherboard.

I have a Dell Dimension 4550, with 2.53GHz P4 CPU and 512MB of DDR 300
RAM. During a recent storm, it appears that my motherboard has been
knocked out. Instead of getting the replacement motherboard from Dell,
I am planning to get the ASUS "P4R800-V Deluxe" RADEON 9100 IGP from
Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-151&depa=1).

Along with this, I am considering getting a new computer case for the
motherboard.
I have the following questions:

1. Would you say that this is a good MoBo? Are there comparable
alternatives that I should instead consider? In a MoBo, I am looking
for compatibility with what I have and the option to upgrade when
necessary. I can possibly also see myself adding one more hard disk to
the two that I already have.

2. What is a good, matching case that I can use for the above ASUS and
for the alternative (if any) suggested motherboard? I would prefer to
spend the least amount necessary to get a quiet, easy to install into,
preferably black case. I would also like USB 2.0, audio and IEEE ports
in the front of the computer. USB 2.0 are necessary i nthe front,
while audio and IEEE are nice to have.

3. I would rather get cases with pre-attached powersupply, both
because the combo I believe would be more economical and less hassle.
Would you advise otherwise? If so, please suggest a quiet power
supply.

4. Will I be able to use the CPU heat sink and fan that I have with my
Dell machine?

5. Can I use my Dell case for now and replace the power supply because
I have read that the power supply connectors are proprietary Dell?

Please do share specific links as to which Case and (if appropriate)
power supply should I go for. Please do share brief pros and cons of
the few options that you suggest.

I use my computer primarily for surfing, photo editing, TV program
recording and home video editing. I may also host a very low traffic
web server on my PC. I do not see myself playing serious games on my
PC.

Thank you very much for reading through and your help!

Mals

Old July 12th 04, 10:14 AM
WebWalker

I don't really get it, you know Dell computer have compatibility problem
and why you still want to buy it?

--
WebWalker
Old July 12th 04, 05:49 PM
kony

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:14:00 +0800, WebWalker
wrote:

I don't really get it, you know Dell computer have compatibility problem
and why you still want to buy it?

Do we even know that this system has any compatibility problems?

We have no evidence that I saw, that OP couldn't just buy any
mATX board, throw it into the case and be done (after typical
steps, repairing OS install, drivers, etc).
Old July 12th 04, 11:24 PM
Michael Culley

"kony" wrote in message ...
Do we even know that this system has any compatibility problems?

We have no evidence that I saw, that OP couldn't just buy any
mATX board, throw it into the case and be done (after typical
steps, repairing OS install, drivers, etc).

It might be possible but odds are there will be some sort of issues.

--
Michael Culley

Old July 13th 04, 12:20 AM
kony

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:24:28 +1000, "Michael Culley"
wrote:

"kony" wrote in message ...
Do we even know that this system has any compatibility problems?

We have no evidence that I saw, that OP couldn't just buy any
mATX board, throw it into the case and be done (after typical
steps, repairing OS install, drivers, etc).

It might be possible but odds are there will be some sort of issues.

But, there is no data that any issues would be unique to this
change, relative to it being a Dell system, that is atypical for
any "normal" motherboard swap. The one exception might be the
front panel header cable(s), that OEMs often use single or a pair
of connectors instead of each individual wire-pair per connector,
but even then it is certainly not guaranteed that a given
"generic" case's front panel cables are compatible with any
particular "generic" motherboard. In such situations the typical
changes are employed, like swapping wire position in a header
plug, perhaps using a knife to cut header plug into smaller
section, etc... trivial changes compared to any other part of the
swap.

In other words, speculations about specifc, past OEM systems that
were noteworthy because of their specific issues, are in no way a
justification to assume something about different systems, years
later. Is it so easy your pet dog could do it? Probably not,
but the dog has no business in a system regardless of it's
origin.
Old July 13th 04, 03:15 AM
Shailendra

I read somewhere that Dell power supply connectors are unique.
Also, I am not sure how I would attach the ATX MoBo in the existing Dell
case...

Any, ideas on what is a good Case to go for?

Old July 13th 04, 07:02 AM
kony

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:15:37 -0400, "Shailendra"
wrote:

I read somewhere that Dell power supply connectors are unique.

In the past, there were a few that were proprietary. That was a
minority, it is not reasonable to assume any particular Dell
system today uses that arrangement. Determine if it is standard
or not, the specs are quite easy to find with a Google search.

Also, I am not sure how I would attach the ATX MoBo in the existing Dell
case...

Usually it's done with screws, but if you have another method in
mind?

Any, ideas on what is a good Case to go for?

Yes, the Dell case is fine, unless it won't work. Don't assume
it won't, do the research. It is pointless to add to landfills
and spend $$ unnecessarily, unless you wanted a complete 2nd
system. In that situation you might consider the Antec cases
with 120mm fan in back (multiple models) and Antec power supply
included.

In other words, buy the motherboard you want and it'll be plain
to see if it works or not.

Standard ATX connector wiring is as follows,
http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/atx_on.gif
but occasionally an OEM will substitute a different color-scheme
for one or more rails, yet the placement of the pins, same
voltage/color to each would remain the same. A multimeter can be
used to test this.
Old August 8th 04, 06:15 PM
Mals

I bought an ANTEC quiet case and an ASUS MoBo.
Reused everything else from the Dell system.

It is working. Thanks to all of you for helping me out!

news