Reformatted & installed 98se - sound card not recognized

Old December 17th 03, 10:37 AM
Whelan

Default Reformatted & installed 98se - sound card not recognized

Tonight I reformatted a Dell Dimension XPS D266 and installed Win 98se on
it. I also reinstalled Office 97.

(This system was used in my husbands office, first with Win95, then Me. I am
now fixing it up to give to a family.)

When I went to install Encarta 99, it reported that it cannot find a sound
card.

Before reformatting, I printed the contents of Device Manager.
Under Multifunction Adapters, it showed:
TBS Montego Multifunction PCI Platform
Under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers, it showed:
TBS Montego Gameport Interface
TBS Montego MPU-401 Interface
TBS Montego PCI Audio
TBS Montego Sound Blaster Emulation

I searched the web and found Turtle Beach Voyetra and these items are
listed under the Montego A3Dxstream.
Voyetra's site is un-user-friendly and full of cautions ... somewhere it
says to contact Dell.

When I look at Device Manager now, there's a yellow "?" for Other Devices
with
yellow ? for PCI Ethernet Controller and
yellow ? for PCI Multimedia Audio Device,
and no entry for Sound.

What should I do?

*Is there a place to look at Dell?
*Should the drivers be somewhere on the Me startup disk I created before
reformatting?
*Another idea-- We have another similar Dell (Dimension XPS D300) on which I
just did a standard upgrade from 95 to 98. It is full of junk, but now that
I look at its Device Manager, it seems to have the same TBS listings as the
266 used to have. Looking at each of their "driver details," I see many file
names and locations which I could probably just copy by disk to the 266.
Would that do it?

Otherwise, the reformat went okay.
Nan

Old December 17th 03, 10:54 AM
Frank le Spikkin

"Whelan" wrote in
:

[...]

Try here for driver downloads from DELL:

http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/filelib/system.asp?
sid=DIM_PNT_PII_XPS_D___

Old December 17th 03, 11:06 AM
Tom Scales

Go to support.dell.com and entire the system id (on a sticker on the back of
the machine). Choose Win98 and it will provide a list of drivers.

PCI Multimedia controller is your sound card. I can't explain why it seems
to be partially installed.

Tom

Old December 17th 03, 11:15 AM
Whelan

I just found two files on Dell support to download that seem worth trying
.... tomorrow.

And if that doesn't work, I suppose I could buy and install the least
expensive Soundblaster.
Nan

Old December 17th 03, 12:11 PM
S.Lewis

"WSZsr" wrote in message
.. .
No need to buy a sound card. All the drivers are on Dell's website as Tom
explained.

snip

That particular sound card can be a bear to install with Win98. A quick
check shows drivers on the website for both the Montego I and II. The
drivers should also be on the Resource CD that came with the system.

Stew

Old December 17th 03, 05:17 PM
Christopher Muto

you should have no problem installing the sound card once your obtain the
correct driver. generally i suggest looking for the exact make/model of the
sound card, modem, video card, etc before beginning the format (hence why i
asked if you needed instructions in your previous thread). i also suggest
putting a copy of the raw windows directory on your hard disk and then run
your install from that. this is how it is set up when shipped by dell and
it good so that you do not have to ever take cd on your windows 98 cd again
(as you will probably have to when installing these sound drivers). but you
can still copy the raw windows program to your hard disk as follows: create
a folder under c:\windows called 'options and then one under that called
'cabs' to provide a path called 'c:\windows\options\cabs\'. copy the
contents of the 'd:\win98\' folder along with its sub folders to the
'c:\windows\optinons\cabs' folder. then edit the registry to look to this
location when windows may need the original install cd... run-regedit and
nivigate to
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Setup then
double click on 'sourcepath' found in the right hand pane and enter the new
path (was probably 'd:\win98' and now is 'c:\windows\options\cabs'), reboot.

Old December 18th 03, 03:42 AM
Whelan

I cannot believe how awkward and difficult this is!
Sorry, I'm about to tear my hair out.

I found and downloaded what are supposed to be the .exe files I need from
the Dell Support site. (Thank goodness the Service Tag # works!) I copied
them to a folder on the 266, unzipped them as instructed, but when I start
Windows and it looks for new drivers I cannot browse to anything Windows
will accept. I have restarted and retried at least 5 times and spent hours
that I cannot afford on this.

Just so that I can give the computer away! (but to a nice employee whose
family has none)

The instructions on the 3Com Etherlink are really complicated.
If that is just the network card, maybe I can just remove the card and
forget about it. ?????
Would someone PLEASE let me know if that's the case?

Re the SOUND:
I downloaded a 16mb file "TB1-Eng.exe" from Dell, copied it to the desktop
of the 266, and ran it. (Thank God for my Sandisk CruzerMini USB drive!)
This extracted over 80 files, now located in subfolders under
C:\Dell\Drivers\TB1-Eng\ then APPS or HTML or NT. Just wish I could discover
which driver file it wants so I could browse to it!

Well, I guess I'll restart a few more times, ignore the PCI Etherlink, and
concentrate on the Turtle Beach.

I brought home lots of cool Educ software that I wanted to install tonight
(shareware or purchased by me, not my school). I hoped to be ready to give
this away tomorrow!

I'll keep trying to browse to the right place, and check back here to see if
any of you helpful people know a shortcut.

Thanks a lot.
Nan

Old December 18th 03, 03:46 AM
Whelan

At first I thought it was the II, but as I look closer, it is an exact match
to the names in Montego A3Dxstream. I guess that's I.
I think I've downloaded the right file from Dell ... just struggling to make
it work now.

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

.. .

Old December 18th 03, 06:21 AM
Christopher Muto

what would make this easier is if you had your original packing slip. this
slip details the components installed in your system. when you search dell
for drivers you get a list of all available drivers for that model. so you
may find multiple sound card drivers and multiple ethernet card drivers...
but only the correct one is going to work. however i am surprised that you
are having any trouble with the ethernet card. i thought it was 'known' to
windows and that the 3com utility was just for additional features and
testing. you could probably get the network card going by simply selecting
to update the drivers and then 'pick from list' and select novel/athem on
left hand pane and 'ne2000' on the right hand pane.

"Whelan" wrote in message
[...]

CUV-4X problems with Network card and Audio using Windows 98SE LDL Asus Motherboards 9 June 6th 04 04:50 AM
Santa Cruz Sound Card Davek Homebuilt PC's 2 November 21st 03 02:19 AM
Santa Cruz Sound Card Davek Gigabyte Motherboards 3 November 21st 03 02:19 AM
Santa Cruz Sound Card Davek General 0 August 17th 03 10:33 PM
onboard sound or sound card? mig General 4 August 3rd 03 03:38 PM