Utility Partition

Old December 17th 03, 06:50 PM
Diederik

Default Utility Partition

Does anyone have a (ghost) image of the 39MB Utility Partition of a Dell
Dimension 4550?

I accidently removed it from my hard drive...

Thanks!

Old December 17th 03, 07:16 PM
Tom Swift

Everything that was in that hidden partition (and more) is contained in your
Dell Dimension Resources CD. Enjoy the extra disk space.

(You 'accidentally' removed a hidden partition?)

Tom Swift

Old December 18th 03, 03:03 AM
Tom Scales

I'm not aware of a way to restore it. Mine's been gone for a long time.
"Diederik" wrote in message
I know it's on the CD. It is handy at some times though to boot from this
partition instead of the CD.

So can anybody help me re-installing this partition?

Diederik

FYI Tom: I deleted it when using partition magic to configure a different
harddrive.

s.com...

Old December 18th 03, 10:06 AM
Rich/rerat

1. You will need to create a FAT32 partition first on your HDD, if you =
HDD is formatted in NTFS. You should make the partition at least 32MB in =
size. If you are using WinXP, and have your HDD already split in =
multiple partitions, you can do this within WinXP.
a. It is a pain in the butt, because you will need to temporarily =
move the FILES in that partition to another one, or copy to CD's or =
DVD's.
b. Delete the partition, then recreate two (2) partitions, one NTFS, =
another FAT32 (at least 32MB). If you have set up your HDD as a single =
Partition, you will either need to reinstall WinXP, all you other =
applications, and Data files.
c. If you created the partition in the Disk Management Program in =
WinXP, you will need to assign a Drive Letter to this partition.=20
d. The less intrusive way is to use Partition_Magic, which you seem =
to have already, to create a FAT32 partition from the NTFS format that =
is used commonly in XP PC's. If you use Partition_Magic, I believe in =
the program, you can assign a letter to this FAT32 partition.
e. You will need to format the created partition(s), before you can =
copy files to it/them.

2. If you are using WinXP you can download and place in a folder, a zip =
file called CDD1220.exe , [Diagnostics: Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics =
(Graphical User Interface version), Diagnostics, English, Multi System, =
A1220]:

http://support.dell.com/filelib/Devi...S=3DWW1++&OSL=
=3DEN&SvcTag=3D&SysID=3DDIM_PNT_P4_4550

3. In the folder that you created for the file, open the zip file, and =
place (copy/paste) the "unzipped" files in the FAT32 partition that you =
created.

I believe there are similar version of this above program for different =
Windows & Linux OS's in the Support pages at Dell.

I did this for my Dimension 4600 with little problems, using the Windows =
interface, so I cannot comment directly using Partition_Magic.

--=20
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) message rule

"Diederik" wrote in message
I know it's on the CD. It is handy at some times though to boot from =

this
partition instead of the CD.

So can anybody help me re-installing this partition?

Diederik

FYI Tom: I deleted it when using partition magic to configure a =

different
harddrive.

s.com...

Old December 18th 03, 01:17 PM
dmac

why fat32?

--
Dave M
Radeon 9800Pro 256mb

http://support.dell.com/filelib/Devi...IM_PNT_P4_4550

"Diederik" wrote in message
I know it's on the CD. It is handy at some times though to boot from this
partition instead of the CD.

So can anybody help me re-installing this partition?

Diederik

FYI Tom: I deleted it when using partition magic to configure a different
harddrive.

s.com...

Old December 18th 03, 02:34 PM
WSZsr

because it is a DOS based utility.

"dmac" wrote in message ...
why fat32?

--
Dave M
Radeon 9800Pro 256mb

"Diederik" wrote in message
I know it's on the CD. It is handy at some times though to boot from

this
partition instead of the CD.

So can anybody help me re-installing this partition?

Diederik

FYI Tom: I deleted it when using partition magic to configure a

different
harddrive.

s.com...

Old December 18th 03, 04:33 PM
dmac

ok, thanks
makes sense now.

--
Dave M
Radeon 9800Pro 256mb

"WSZsr" wrote in message
.. .
because it is a DOS based utility.

"dmac" wrote in message ...
why fat32?

--
Dave M
Radeon 9800Pro 256mb

"Diederik" wrote in message
I know it's on the CD. It is handy at some times though to boot from

this
partition instead of the CD.

So can anybody help me re-installing this partition?

Diederik

FYI Tom: I deleted it when using partition magic to configure a

different
harddrive.

s.com...

Old December 18th 03, 08:07 PM
Diederik

Hi Rich/rerat,

Thanks for you help.
Two questions:

a. Does your procedure automatically make the partition bootable from the
Dell BIOS boot menu?
b. I remember the partition to be FAT16, no letter assigned and hidden. Does
it make a difference or does it work all ways?

Thanks,
Diederik

"Diederik" wrote in message
I know it's on the CD. It is handy at some times though to boot from this
partition instead of the CD.

So can anybody help me re-installing this partition?

Diederik

FYI Tom: I deleted it when using partition magic to configure a different
harddrive.

s.com...

Old December 19th 03, 11:27 AM
Rich/rerat

Let me answer b. first. You will need to initially assign a letter to =
the partition, so from "My Computer", you can first format the drive =
that you created. I don't know how PartMagic does this function. Another =
reason that you will need to assign this drive a letter. After the drive =
is formatted you will need to be able to see the drive so you can copy =
the diagnostic files to that drive. You can then make the drive hidden =
when you are finished.

1. Control Panel Administrative Tools Computer Management Storage =
Disk Management
2. Right-Click on the FAT32 drive Change Letter & Paths Remove button. =
The drive will now be hidden in "My Computer", but will be seen in the =
Disk Management folder. The FAT16 requirement, maybe for earlier Windows =
OS's. All I know is to use FAT32.

For a., all I can find in the Dell Support pages that you will need to =
still boot you PC from the Resourse CD for diagnostics. The only reason =
I can figure, that the Diagnostic software is installed on the Hidden =
drive, is that it allows the USER, while using the Dell Support Page =
interface, to recognize PC's Tag#, software & hardware configurations. =
That is why many people state that you don't need this drive/partition =
for diagnostic testing.

Maybe someone else can tell you if the drive/partition is bootable, and =
how to do it.

--=20
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) message rule

"Diederik" wrote in message
I know it's on the CD. It is handy at some times though to boot from =

this
partition instead of the CD.

So can anybody help me re-installing this partition?

Diederik

FYI Tom: I deleted it when using partition magic to configure a =

different
harddrive.

s.com...