Recommendations for buying a 6800 GT

Old October 30th 04, 09:16 PM
NoRemorse

Default Recommendations for buying a 6800 GT

Can anyone recommend some good brands of 6800 GT? Are there some brands to
stay away from? I'm not planning to OC the card, but factory OC'd is
acceptable to me (as long as the factory cooling is adequate and there's
some decent warranty on that). Right now, I'm considering the XFX GeForce
6800 GT. Anyone know any good or bad things about those cards or the
company?

I'm going to stick it in a system with a 3.06Ghz (533MHz FSB) proc, 1GB of
RAM. Right now, I have a Radeon 9700 Pro. From the benchmarks I've seen, it
looks like I'll get at least 2 times the performance in most games. Does
that seem right? Also, the motherboard I have the (Gigabyte 8INXP) has some
history of problems with AGP 8x. The performance impact should be negligible
when running the 6800 GT at AGP 4x, right?

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

Old October 31st 04, 04:30 AM
Alex

I like my new Galaxy Glacier 6800GT.

Factory default speeds of 370Mhz Core (Normal 6800GT=350Mhz)
Its got a brilliant Arctic cooling fan that exhaughts heat outside the PC.
(Takes up an extra PCI slot though.)
Ive turned off one of my case fans as a result, and its quiet.
Overlocks to beyond Ultra speeds.

3DMark05 score of 5200ish (overclocked).

Yes, you'll get that sort of performance increase, AGPx8 vs x4 isnt an
issue.
Just means that video textures are loaded into Video memory more quickly,
but the speed of the video processing is unaffected.

Alex

Old October 31st 04, 08:23 AM
NoRemorse

"Alex" alex@home wrote in message
I like my new Galaxy Glacier 6800GT.

Factory default speeds of 370Mhz Core (Normal 6800GT=350Mhz)
Its got a brilliant Arctic cooling fan that exhaughts heat outside the PC.
(Takes up an extra PCI slot though.)
Ive turned off one of my case fans as a result, and its quiet.
Overlocks to beyond Ultra speeds.

3DMark05 score of 5200ish (overclocked).

Yes, you'll get that sort of performance increase, AGPx8 vs x4 isnt an
issue.
Just means that video textures are loaded into Video memory more quickly,
but the speed of the video processing is unaffected.

What kind of warranty did u get with the card?

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

Old October 31st 04, 04:10 PM
Alex

What kind of warranty did u get with the card?

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

Only a standard return to shop 1 year warranty
These cards are available in Europe more than elsewhere, I have read.

I bought mine from
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...03&GroupID=584

Old October 31st 04, 04:54 PM
Scotter

That Galaxy Glacier card sounds great!
I paid $350 for my BFG 6800 GT OC (370 default) and then another $30 or
whatever for the NVSilencer and it sounds like you got it all in one
package. Yeah, BFG puts a good cooling setup on the GT OC (that only takes
up one slot) but the NVSilencer brought my temps down 10C across the board
(core, ambient).
IF you have a problem finding the Galaxy Glacier and end up finding a BFG, I
highly recommend, if you have a slot free, to get the NVSilencer. There is a
thread in this newsgroup talking about this that I started on 10/29 @
5:16pm.

Old October 31st 04, 06:15 PM
Alex

Britain is an expensive place to buy hardware in, I paid just under £300 for
the Galaxy, which is about US $550!!!!

Old October 31st 04, 06:50 PM
Scotter

Oh man! I assumed you could order from the same places I do since it is over
the net... ?
I got mine at http://www.outpost.com
Maybe you can't because they ?don't? take Euro's?
I look there now and they don't have any BFG GT OC's
They do have Ultra OC's but for $499! Ouch.
I'm starting to think the deal I got was super rare.

Old October 31st 04, 07:22 PM
NoRemorse

"Scotter" wrote in message
That Galaxy Glacier card sounds great!
I paid $350 for my BFG 6800 GT OC (370 default) and then another $30 or
whatever for the NVSilencer and it sounds like you got it all in one
package. Yeah, BFG puts a good cooling setup on the GT OC (that only takes
up one slot) but the NVSilencer brought my temps down 10C across the board
(core, ambient).
IF you have a problem finding the Galaxy Glacier and end up finding a BFG,
I highly recommend, if you have a slot free, to get the NVSilencer. There
is a thread in this newsgroup talking about this that I started on 10/29 @
5:16pm.

I'd be concerned with losing the warranty on the card. (I'm not really an
overclocker hehe.) I could try the NVSilencer after the warranty expires,
though.

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

Old November 1st 04, 03:26 AM
MartinKnud

"NoRemorse" wrote in message

"Scotter" wrote in message
That Galaxy Glacier card sounds great!
I paid $350 for my BFG 6800 GT OC (370 default) and then another $30 or
whatever for the NVSilencer and it sounds like you got it all in one
package. Yeah, BFG puts a good cooling setup on the GT OC (that only
takes up one slot) but the NVSilencer brought my temps down 10C across
the board (core, ambient).
IF you have a problem finding the Galaxy Glacier and end up finding a
BFG, I highly recommend, if you have a slot free, to get the NVSilencer.
There is a thread in this newsgroup talking about this that I started on
10/29 @ 5:16pm.

I'd be concerned with losing the warranty on the card. (I'm not really an
overclocker hehe.) I could try the NVSilencer after the warranty expires,
though.

Thats 2 years in Denmark....
Will you keep the card for that long?